Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smegdude

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2002
Cambridge, uk
chewbaccapits said:
any one know what size the RAM cache is????

it will probably be increased from the 3g model, as this would increase battery life, because the hard disk would not have to be use as much.

I just checked and the apple store tech specs say its has 25 min skip protection (the same as the mini) so i'm unsure if its changed, but 25 min is probably 32mb cache.

ethernet76

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2003
smegdude said:
it will probably be increased from the 3g model, as this would increase battery life, because the hard disk would not have to be use as much.

I just checked and the apple store tech specs say its has 25 min skip protection (the same as the mini) so i'm unsure if its changed, but 25 min is probably 32mb cache.

Since i have an apple store nearby, i went and asked the day the came out when they'd be available.

The lady said Wednesday they'll have them in store. Guess where I'll be tomorrow morning?

chewbaccapits

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
Torrance, Californizzel
smegdude said:

Which is exactly why I asked...Hmmmm....Then if it still 32 megs, how the heck did they increase the battery life.... :eek:

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Apple is always a bit dodgy in their specified battery life. Leaving the iPod on shuffle, or having it play all the songs in order will result in a 12 hour battery life because of the way it manages power, but if you played around with the controls 'X' number of times on a 3G iPod , and got 6 hours of battery life, and played around with the controls 'X' number of times on a 4G iPod, it'll only give you a small increase in life, not 4 hours.

The reason I say that the battery life will be extended "slightly," even if you were to still play around with the controls 'X' number of times, is because it now uses a click wheel instead of the touch wheel. The OLD iPods had 10 hour battery life, and that was BEFORE the touch wheel came out. With a touch sensitive wheel, the iPod was sensing for an input continuously so that once you touch the wheel, it responds immediately. With the click wheel, the iPod doesn't continuously sense for an input. It knows when it receives an input when you physically click down on the wheel.

So the click wheel is the only thing that really makes a difference if you like to fidget with which songs are played, and will probably give another 2 hours of battery life or so. Don't know yet.

comictimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Berkeley, California
Abstract said:
The reason I say that the battery life will be extended "slightly," even if you were to still play around with the controls X number of times, is because it now uses a click wheel instead of the touch wheel. The OLD iPods had 10 hour battery life, if you recall, and that was BEFORE the touch wheel came out. With a touch sensitive wheel, the iPod was sensing for an input continuously so that once you touch the wheel, it responds immediately. With the click wheel, the iPod doesn't continuously sense for an input. It knows when it receives an input when you physically click down on the wheel.
wait.. I'm confused... my old ipod (2g 10gb) was supposed to get 10 hours of battery life, and did get that, originally, and it has a touch wheel. Also, I haven't gotten to play around with the ipod mini, so I wouldn't know, but I thought the click wheel was just a touch wheel which can also be clicked for the fwd/back/play/menu buttons.
For the battery life though, my guess is that apple just got a better lithium ion battery into the ipod.

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
Looks good, I can't wait to get my own! ;)

I'm really glad to see the Click Wheel added, and the excessively-touch-sensitive-ness of the G3 iPod gone. The G4 'Pod is definitely a step back in the right direction for the iPod design, with the increased battery life (I don't know what Apple was thinking when they cut two hours from the battery for the G3) and the Click Wheel (the buttons above the wheel was silly, and the click wheel is just plain cool).

Anyhoo, I'm excited. Finally, I'm feeling really motivated to upgrade (the minis are really nice, but I need the voice recorder).

stevehaslip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
The Ocean Floor
i think they look good, the grey is nice but maybe a little bit lighter would have been perfect, is the grey the same colour as the pastel grey on the ibook g4?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.