Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pusman83

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 9, 2005
With all the talk, I couldn't find any pictures which would show the difference in colour/contrast between the two (which I guess could be seen on CRT).

Jigglelicious

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2004
NYC
Its very very difficult to be able to just take a photograph of 2 monitors and hope to see any differences - especially with CRT's because their image isn't stable and is constantly refreshing, which causes this dark line to usually appear.

Your best bet would be to compare both kinds of monitors in person.

pusman83

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 9, 2005
Well someone could have PS-ed two images to illustrate the difference.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
And you would look at the graphic how, exactly? On your monitor.... with it's own color and contrast inaccuracies? Impossible to accurately reproduce.

Each monitor has its characteristic colour and contrast range. There is no unanimity between LCDs as a class, and none between all the different models of CRTs either. And the software and hardware settings on the particular monitor and machine have a lot to do with it.

So I would guess it is pretty much impossible to do what you are asking; illustrate the difference between LCDs and CRTs.

pusman83

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 9, 2005
Well, it's probably impossible to illustrate EXACTLY what the difference is but I'm sure that playing with the contrast and saturation of an image, one could give a good impression of the usual difference between the two. And even looking on a display, we could see where the differences lie and their relative importance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.