Pictures of Matte and Glossy screens

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Burtonsnow9, May 21, 2008.

1. Burtonsnow9 macrumors regular

hey guys i'm about to buy a MBP and i've been reading all the matte vs. glossy threads and i think i'm going to go with glossy but can someone post pictures of the two so i can really see the difference. The apple store is close enough to just drive over there just to see it.

2. Qwest905 macrumors 6502

Qwest905

3. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

I've seen pictures, and no matter how good they are, they never truly show the difference. If this is a concern for you, I would recommend you make that trip to your local Apple store, BestBuy, or other authorized reseller.

Honestly, if you're about to make a $2000 purchase and want to be SURE, then it will be worth it.

To humour you, here's one posted elsewhere on MacRumors:
    [​IMG]

This one really shows the glare on a glossy, and was clearly taken to show that glare. However, I don't know ANYONE who uses their computer at that side angle. I have a glossy MBP, and I love it.

4. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I have a regular MacBook with a glossy screen and I have to say that I rarely, if ever notice any glare on it. However, the thing that drives me and others up the wall is the way the glossy screen attracts dust which is almost impossible to shift - there's a little lip at the edge of the display where it meets the plastic and if you try pushing the dust over this it just gets caught.

Here is a photo I took with my old white MacBook when it first arrived (I too was as nervous as you are about the gloss, but it really isn't anything to worry about if you can cope with cleaning the dust):
    [​IMG]

I would definitely choose a matte screen every time if I had the option.

5. Burtonsnow9 thread starter macrumors regular

so since you have a glossy MBP, do you really notice glares to the point where it would annoy you?

6. Spencer818 macrumors newbie

Is that a matte MacBook? I never knew those existed.

7. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

The guy who owns it took it apart and replaced the glossy panel with a compatible matte panel.

8. Spencer818 macrumors newbie

I see.

9. mlblacy macrumors 6502

I normally would choose a matte screen if given the choice, however I have an Air with the glossy and I have to say I love it. I have even used it outside with no real problems. Usually just a slight change of screen tilt or shift in direction eliminates most of the glare (at least for me). If I was offered the chance to exchange my glossy air for a matter one I would probably keep the glossy... and that came as a surprise even to me...

I also agonized over the glossy screen on my Samsung HDTV... I really worried about the glare. However I worried about nothing, and the glossy screen just looks better than the matte does (richer blacks, increased contrast and saturation).

However when the 30" Imac comes out next month (kidding, but hoping, lol) I would hope for a matter option... as I do a lot of imaging work.

cheers