Piers Morgan on gun crime for CNN

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Risco, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Risco macrumors 68000

Risco

I am from Britain and all will say is that I feel safer walking the UK streets than I ever would in America. The thought of having a gun pulled out on me over here never crosses my mind.

2. million7 macrumors regular

Criminals will find something else to kill, rob, rape people. Like knives.

BBC News Article
    "In fact, the most common weapon used in a violent crime in England and Wales is not a gun - but a knife.

CRIME FIGURES IN FULL

Crime in England and Wales 2006-07

There are four times more knife-related killings as firearms-related killings.
    The Centre for Crime and Justice Studies at King's College London recently conducted some deeper analysis of the available Home Office's statistics.
    It concluded that between 22,000 and 57,900 young people could have been victims of knife crime in 2004. However, it says without better official data it is impossible to know for sure - and that we need that data to improve the public debate.
    The Home Office has pledged to change the way crime figures are presented to help the public better understand the impact on their area. One of the key changes is going to be separate knife crimes figures from 2008."

source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6960431.stm

3. million7 macrumors regular

You act like America is a place where people are afraid every second of their lives..ugh

Lastly, Piers Morgan can't debate. When he starts making no sense and loses on his arguments he resorts to calling people names. His guest really held in there and was polite.

4. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Knives? Like the one a man in china used this week to wound 22 children? Wound, not kill.

Obviously people will continue to kill other people no matter what. But modern guns make it a lot easier for one person to kill en masse.

5. Risco thread starter macrumors 68000

Risco

We are talking about gun crime here, please stay on topic rather than use circular logic.

No I am saying I feel safer in the UK as the threat of gun crime is not there to the same extent. Piers Morgan lost his rag because the guy was avoiding the question and being obtuse.

----------

Exactly and this is what needs to be prevented. Anyone who thinks the current gun laws are working in America are ignoring the facts.

6. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Piers Morgan is an insufferable twit. So is the other talking head . This video is an example of what not to do when trying to have a meaningful discussion.

Or their bare hands. But that does not adequately counter the argument that gun control can reduce gun crime, and that certain types of gun crime (mass shootings being the primary example) are clearly more devastating than any form of knife crime.

We have to take a holistic view of crime and not focus on one kind, but you're deflecting all the same.

7. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Lets say guns were banned in America. How many criminals do you think would turn in their guns? How many guns are already out there? That's why stance on the topic aside I don't see the logic. As with drugs, I don't think control is the issue, it's enforcement of existing law.

Much emphasis is put on revenue generation. You could get pulled over for driving in the HOV lane with 50 kilos of cocaine and 20 illegally obtained machine guns in your trunk, and get off with a ticket unless there is other suspicion. Tickets make money.

Utilize the resources more effectively and get better results.

8. million7 macrumors regular

sure it's your thread,
    anyways the topic should be, Take back Piers Morgan UK!!!
    I say this as a dual US/UK citizen.:D

I never feel unsafe here by the threat of Gun Crime, and don't know anyone here that says that they are. You're either paranoid for some reason or watch too much of OUR television/Movies.

The guy actually said Piers was being obtuse. 6:20 mark

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Did Piers also mention that there is a camera on every street corner in the UK. Does that make him feel safer as well?

10. jeremy h macrumors 6502

Oh, now that's really out of order...

If he does come back he might have some phone hacking scandal explanations to make - so you lucky people - I think he's staying.

11. million7 macrumors regular

I'm not interested necessarily in reducing gun crimes, I just want people to be able to defend themselves when someone comes at them with the gun.

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

We need to figure out why is there gun crime and what are the main sources of it. We will never rid guns and protecting yourself from a gun should not be a fear. We need to learn what drives a person to go nuts and kill and why do they feel they have to resort to violence.

13. million7 macrumors regular

After the gun laws are passed over here, i won't be surprised if he starts screaming at the television telling the American people to be more like the UK and put cameras all over the place.

14. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I know gun debates stir up strong emotions on both sides, as evidenced by a number of threads here at MacRumors in recent times, and it seems sometimes that there's precious little common ground to be found.

However, no matter where you stand on firearms and their place in society I hope we can all agree that Piers Morgan is an insufferable little pillock.

15. million7 macrumors regular

I agree with you there, for the newton shooting looking at the mom is a good start. She wasn't a good parent.

But truthfully, we can make a connection already to all these mass shootings, from fort hood, aurora, Sikh temple to newton. All the shooters showed some form of mental illness or craziness. And they showed signs of it before they went on rampages.

The solution could be better rehab for this people then maybe they'll be too busy getting better and not shooting innocent people.

16. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Exactly. Knives don't go through walls and kill children in the comfort of their own homes.

Banning assualt weapons and high capacity clips/mags makes plenty of sense. Imagine the number of those that would still be alive just in the last several big attacks if the attackers didn't have access to assualt weapons.

17. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

He is a very poor interviewer that is certain. If he wants to have a discussion, at least be civil and let the guest speak.

You want him back? ;)

18. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Not at all, you're more than welcome to keep him. In fact, we insist.

19. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I've lived most of my life in the U.S. and it has never crossed my mind, either.

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Before you get too carried away, did you actually follow up the article (from 2007) which you quoted? The figures you bolded were ALL crimes committed with a knife, not killings.

Gives a slightly different impression, doesn't it?

21. Risco thread starter macrumors 68000

Risco

Yes, he is most certainly annoying. I also don't think guns need to be banned altogether, but they DO need to be controlled. The laws DO need to be changed, and there is not a single reason why anyone who is not in the military needs or should own an assault rifle.

22. dinggus macrumors 65816

Funny because I didn't feel safe walking the streets of France by myself.

I don't know anyone who feels like their not safe walking the streets, but then again majority of people drive to where they are going.

23. million7 macrumors regular

Lol you act like I claimed that these knife crimes were all killings or something, In my first sentence(you probably looked over that), I listed killing, robbery and rape as possible crimes.

What you said would make sense if I was trying to make it seem like all the knife crimes were murders. But I wasn't so.......you FAIL.

24. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

It's not just people who have mental illness, look at ramdom street violence. How do we stop that. What is at the core of people needing to shoot others. This is a huge problem and will take massive amounts to help to fix. Banning guns or treating mental health are just parts of it.

25. million7 macrumors regular

Random street violence is an issue, this is just a guess but the causes could stem from gang members, drug addicts, etc. or just some random teen/young adult messing around.

I would advocate legalizing drugs to get rid of the main source for gang's money and need for guns, drugs. And Rehab for drug addicts.