Pilots and passengers freak out over praying Jews

Discussion in 'Wasteland' started by yg17, Mar 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

http://www.dailynews.com/breakingnews/ci_17606492

Really? I think everyone should keep their religion to themselves, but we've become so paranoid that we have to treat a few praying orthodox Jews as terrorists. It would be just as ridiculous if a group of praying Muslims were questioned by the FBI, which I'm sure has happened.

Now, I bet if a bunch of Christians started praying during a flight no one would say a word. :rolleyes:

2. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

3. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Do Muslims require that the airplane turn to face Mecca, when prayer time comes around??

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

No, they just point their prayer mats in the direction of Mecca, if you fly with an Islamic airline they tell you that direction.

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

OK, thanks.

One assumes that there is enough space in the aisles <snicker> to accomplish this feat??

6. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Something tells me that pulling your prayer mat out and praying in the aisle won't be too well received on a western airline.

7. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

God only hears these prayers when they are facing at him (Mecca earpiece). His hearing as deteriorated over the millenniums and more importantly he does not want to see bottoms being raised in his direction. ;)

8. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

There's an app for that.

9. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Unless they are female bottoms???

10. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Ya never know. ;) Most of the time I see a bunch of men doing it...

11. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Haven't you heard? Women are 'unclean'.

12. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

If Christians are praying like that ... it usually only happens after an engine has failed or a wing has broken off.

For these guys though ... they are lucky the passengers didn't turn on them :cool:

13. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

The "War on Terrorism" is turning people paranoid. We are now so terrorized that we suspect anything that is different.

14. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I have seen that, when we hit a wind-sheer on approach.

I giggled at the wailing, but then I am a fatalist.

Spontaneous applause erupted upon landing, which actually made me LOL. :eek:

The HeX was not amused. ;)

15. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

lol ... I hear ya, I've seen the same.

The applause and thank-yous is hilarious

16. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

I see your rolling eyes, and I'm quite gung ho about arguing for personal freedoms, not against.. but I have to ask: would something happen if these people waited to land in order to do this?

Can I slaughter a goat during prayer on a jumbo jet if that happens to be my religion?

It is interesting though, that shielded by the guise of prayer and personal religious beliefs.. the article doesn't state how ridiculous it is for people to be doing that in 2011.

Nonetheless, as utterly ridiculous as it may be, these people have a right to pray. They also should have the responsibility to inform the passengers and crew of activity that may seem suspect, both so they don't alarm anyone, and also so that they can pray without disruption. Being ignorant of how something like that appears in general public, may also be a sign that none of these folks have cracked a book (didn't mean Torah) open recently.

17. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Trains, planes or automobiles, it doesn't matter. If you're going to travel in a confined space with lots of strangers then keep your cultural eccentricities to yourself. And don't let your kid kick the back of my seat and for god's sake, please don't eat anything that makes you fart nonstop for 8 hours.

What were they thinking? Why are they so ignorant of the niceties of long distance travel?

18. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

But what counts as an unacceptable "cultural eccentricity" versus something that falls within an acceptable range of behavior? Where do we draw the line?

19. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Common sense?

20. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Hum, good luck with that. Looks like common sense told the people on the plane that Hebrew prayers = terrorism. Also, the TSA's version of common sense results in most disabled people being treated like criminal suspects every time they fly.

21. Mac'nCheese Suspended

Mac'nCheese

They would probably be praying in English so people would know what was going on.

22. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

Common sense might also tell an orthodox Jew that he is bound to be sealed into a plane full of possibly bigoted, scaredy-cat non-Jewish buffoons who might not understand his prayer routines.

Is it an ideal situation? No. But going about "business as usual" completely unexplained, and putting the burden of tolerance on the other passengers might not be the best approach, either.

23. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Very true. Ignorance and bigotry are never an excuse, but, sadly, we must always allow for them or expect the inevitable consequences.

24. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I will say that, if you don't know what it is, seeing people pray with tefillin is pretty unusual looking. That said, we are getting rather paranoid. The number of praying orthodox Jews on my Elal flight between NYC and Tel Aviv was surely greater than on this flight and we were never grounded!

25. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

El Al is Israeli. That might explain it. I don't know if it's bigotry to not know every obscure cultural nuance that's out there and on something as potentially volatile as a plane, it may be safe to assume someone is doing something dangerous.

I'd rather someone be bigoted on a plane and be wrong, than assume that relatively odd looking religious ceremony is ok without knowing anything about it.

Of course there are limits, and I think we all understand that we don't really know where these limits should be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.