Pima County Arizona GOP raffles off Glock

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jnpy!$4g3cwk, Sep 2, 2011.

1. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Not that the gun lobby doesn't heavily influence the Arizona Democratic Party also. But, all the same, I am still impressed by the lack of _________ :

"Now, Democrats and other critics, including at least one GOP official, say the Pima County Republican Party is exhibiting insensitivity with its latest moneymaking effort - a raffle of a Glock handgun - and should find another prize to pitch in the same county where Giffords was shot in the head nearly nine months ago. The gun used in the shooting spree outside Tucson was from the same manufacturer.

According to the Pima County GOP's online newsletter last Friday, the lucky holder of the winning $10 raffle ticket will receive a new Glock 23 .40-caliber handgun, which comes with three 12-round magazines, adjustable grip and a case.

Pima County Republicans intend to sell 125 tickets, which "will go quickly for this firearm," the newsletter says."

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2011/09/01/20110901arizona-gop-gun-raffle-politico.html

I guess lots of people in Arizona pack one of these babies:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glock

Welcome to Arizona.

2. soco macrumors 68030

soco

A lot of people pack one of those babies in general.

Welcome to America.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

haha good one!

5. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

That's really good, haven't heard that before!

6. bizzle macrumors 6502a

I don't see the problem. Are you against guns? I am pretty sure guns don't kill people, people kill people.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Given the shooting of Rep. Giffords, this raffle is in very poor taste. It has nothing to do with gun rights etc.

8. redshift1 macrumors regular

Heroin doesn't hurt people, people hurt people.

9. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

They should sell weed instead. Nobody can kill anybody with weed.

10. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

That was my thought as well. Apparently, this is from a pre-shooting raffle, but the person who won never picked the prize up, so the Pima County GOP decided to re-raffle the Glock.

To me, it's just craven and tin-eared. Rather than just abandon the fund-raiser, they decided to raise a little more money for the party a mere seven months after six people died.

Guns don't kill people, but well-armed crazy people do.

11. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

OMG, is that wheezy old canard still around.

And, yes, people are killed with knives, axes, chairs, knitting needles, and baseball bats. But at least those other items have other, non-criminal, uses. (Except maybe the knitting needles :rolleyes:)

And, no, semi-automatic handguns with 12 cartridge magazines are not used for hunting - they are used for shooting people.

Edit: IntelliUser - you can't kill anybody, but you can stick it in their eye - and that hurts a lot!!

12. Lord Blackadder, Sep 2, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2011

Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

It doesn't have anything specifically to do with the Giffords shooting either, except in the broadest sense. I'm not trying to defend the idea of police auctioning off a handgun, but such an event is pretty unremarkable in Arizona. The media are making and selling the connection.

It's worth mentioning that hundreds of police forces nationwide routinely dispose of surplus service weapons to the civilian market - and not just in traditional republican strongholds. So this is by no means an exceptional circumstance.

I hate that old adage myself, but are you suggesting that handguns cannot be used lawfully?

13. KingYaba, Sep 2, 2011

KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I honestly don't know what possessed them to raffle off a Glock because they know it's in poor taste. There's no integrity in this. What a bunch of *******s.

B.S.

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I understand that, I'm just saying that it is in poor taste. They should not be auctioning off that pistol.

15. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I disagree, while raffles that include guns are unremarkable, one that includes a Glock 23 (while the gun that killed six people on Jan. 8 was a Glock 22) from the Pima County GOP (the shooting was in Casas Adobes, just north of Tucson) makes an immediate connection.

And, the money will be used to run against Giffords for her House seat. If this event were to happen in New York, I would have a different opinion.

16. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I think it was certainly a clumsy move, and I can't condone it, but to a certain extent this "outcry" is fueled largely by media exposure. Had they auctioned off, say, a classic Winchester rifle I doubt it would have raised as many eyebrows. The liberal fascination with the real or imagined capabilities of Glock pistols has risen to the level of an obsession.

I agree it was foolish, but don't think that people should try and run too far with it.

17. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

If they want positive reaction ... they should raffle off an iPhone 5 :D

18. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Really? You don't think that raffling nearly the same gun as the one used on Jan. 8., in the county where the shooting took place all to support an effort to remove one of the victims from her seat in the US House is more than just clumsy?

19. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I think one of the issues here is that political parties are very aware of imagery and associating themselves with the qualities their constituents want to see in a candidate.

For Republicans, that often includes adopting what we now refer to as a "pro-gun" stance (though that is a rather loaded term). So I can understand why they did it. I still think it was wrong. But you have to remember that they are advertising largely to their base, not liberals and certainly not "anti-gun" liberals.

I don't think it was intended as a means to mock Giffords' shooting, if that is what you are suggesting. And at the risk of being labeled a pedant, I would add that it was not the same gun, or even the same model.

20. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

The fact that the public can so easily own guns at all in the US still shocks me. But you got yourselves stuck with millions of guns already in circulation and an inalienable right contained in an outdated document. Madness. :rolleyes:

21. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I would love to own a Glock, and would welcome the freedom to purchase a ticket to win one.

I've fired most hand-gun calibers in my time, and have yet to kill a soul.

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Yes, I guess we should get rid of freedom of speech (1st Amendment), protection against unreasonable search and seizure (4th Amendment), the right not to testify against ourselves (5th Amendment), and everything else in that outdated document.:rolleyes:

23. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

The only thing truly outdated about the constitution is they way we sometimes choose to interpret it. Ideas are far more dangerous than guns.

Getting a shotgun permit in the UK isn't all that difficult, and as the recent London riots have demonstrated, more draconian gun laws significantly limit access to guns but cannot get rid of them entirely. The permissiveness of firearms legislation is only one (often overblown) factor in developing an approach to reducing violent crime. The notion that Americans have a fundamentally unique fascination with guns is, in my opinion, false. Rather, we sit at the "permissive" end of a gradient.

24. iStudentUK, Sep 2, 2011

iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

No, just redraft it form scratch for the 21st century. Constitution 2.0.

Many Americans seem to cling to the constitution as a holy book! If you actually read it it's full of old fashioned language and bits that could be written in a much better way. There are only so many times it can be added, amended or rehashed. I had to study constitutional law as part of my law studies, and we compared the UK, US and Germany. The US system just seems to need a big overhaul.

It's practically impossible to get a shotgun license if you live in an urban area here. One person was shot during the London riots. In fact the UK has one of the lowest gun crime rates in the world. Only around 50 people a year are murdered with firearms- half our gun crimes are committed with air weapons and 20% with imitation weapons! Less than 0.05% of burglaries involve firearms. We have our problems here, but low gun crime is one of the areas we can be proud of.

25. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

That's because for many Americans, it goes hand in hand with the Bible.

And that would have little to do with what is written on paper. A written constitution is only valid so long as it holds the confidence of the citizenry - you've got it backwards. Changing the constitution really means altering the perceptions of several hundred million Americans first. The written part is a formality.