'Pimping" Chelsea Clinton

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by solvs, Feb 11, 2008.

1. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Surprised no one has mentioned the Imus-like slip up David Shuster made while trying to sound hip.

http://themoderatevoice.com/media/j...suspension-and-relflects-cable-media-culture/

I get that it was inappropriate, but I don't know, it didn't seem like he meant it in the derogatory way it's being played as. Again, it does seem inappropriate, and I'm glad he apologized, as he should have, but he was suspended indefinitely and has now resigned. I don't blame the Clintons for being mad, I know I would be, but the reaction seemed to be overkill. Beyond an apology, she made it seem like it was a pattern (because of comments made by Chris Matthews, who also apologized, as well he should have, but it also wasn't as bad as they made it seem) and threatened to stop participating in their shows and debates.

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/02/09/clinton-blasts-nbc-over-chelsea-comment/

I've noticed there's been a backlash though over what some see as false indignation. Even the liberal blogs. I have to say I partially agree. Nothing is "sufficient" against such a comment she says. Really? Especially after all of the comments she and Bill have been making lately, especially against Obama. I get that they have to defend themselves, and if they do nothing it's like they accept it (see Kerry doing nothing against the attacks against him), but it seems like overkill for such a small affront. Also especially compared to so many other things no one seems to want to mention (like McCain and Limbaugh's comments a few years ago over Chelsea's looks). This seems like it could backfire against her.

Was it bad? Yeah. Stupid? Definitely. That bad? I don't know. I don't think so. What about you guys, what do you think?

More here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/02/08/msnbc-reporter-begrudging_n_85706.html

And a nice run down of what I mean:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/chez-pazienza/pimp-my-riot-in-defense-_b_85900.html

2. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I'd like to sell you a mountain, please. I assure you, that mole is actually very gigantic.

3. elmo151 Guest

considering some of the things the Clintons have said and done I I think Shuster's comments are moderate.

If Chelsea wants to submerse herself in the swamp of American politics she must learn to take the bad with the good.

4. MacHipster macrumors 6502

5. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

All I can do is laugh.

People get so up in arms over the littlest things. Oh no, he said the word pimp! The world is going to end! Get over it. Shuster was not actually implying that Chelsea was being sold as a prostitute to people and if you believe he was then I hope help is on the way.

Shuster should not have apologized (then again, I don't think Imus should have apologized). What kind of world do you grow up in that makes you take word that serious? Does the phrase "Sticks and stones may brake my bones, but words will never hurt," not apply anymore? I understand what Imus said was some what racist. But wow, get over it. There are a lot of worse things going on in this world then a "bad word." Maybe I had a different upbring, one where my parents taught me that I shouldn't listen to what people say and go on with my life.

The phrase spoken by Shuster probably connected with more young voters than anything else Hilary has done in her campaign.

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Who would really want to pimp out Chelsea anyways. <shudders>

7. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

A: A world that doesn't exist without language - and I mean that. There's nothing insignificant about language.

The 'pimped out' phrase is an unfortunate one, but one that seems to have common currency with younger people (teens - early 20's). We all 'know what he meant' and it isn't what the Clinton campaign is implying. That is what is at issue here IMO. This actually makes the Clintons look bad because either they are so out of touch (they are popular with the over 65s) they don't know how 'pimped out' is used OR they know how it's used and just need some cheap media attention... what's worse is that, word choice aside, the NBC guy was right!

And for backwards media coverage, the Clintons get their own back with CNN - MSNBC is not counting superdelegates

8. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Given the fact that the 18-24 demographic rarely votes and the over 65 almost always does, I think it's pretty irrelevant that the younger set applies a different meaning to the word.

What I find interesting is that nobody accused Romney of pimping out his kids. Gawd only knows, he has enough of them.

It's especially appalling considering that Chelsea is a brilliant young woman with a stellar track record.

9. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Yay! Score another one for the PC police!:rolleyes:

Lethal

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Why is this even news, Is Chelsea that relevant in anything anymore. Hillary is looking for anything that will give her a headline at this point. At least people cared about Rutgers. I didn't even hear a blip about this.

11. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

I don't think that has anything to do with it.

To the OP:

It may not have been "that bad" of a comment if you are a teen or a twenty something, but as you say yourself, it was definitely inappropriate. Also you mention that the Clintons were trying to spin it as part of a bigger pattern, but al the facts indicate it *is* a part of a bigger pattern (with that network and those announcers mentioned.)

Journalists, (I'm including "announcers" in there with them), also have to be held to a higher standard. It's not the same as just anyone saying it. What if it was your daughter being called a pimp whore on national TV?

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I don't buy that, Like it or not Hillary is using Chelsea to get younger voters. And I don't think of Chelsea as being hip to the youngsters.:rolleyes:

13. stevegmu macrumors regular

The Clintons did claim tax deductions for donating Chelsea's used underwear...

14. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

that's what she wants you to think. its a conspiracy.
    hillary and obama have already agreed to run together, they're just competing to decide which order they come in. also the competition is great for fundraising for both of them.

15. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I don't buy that, the Republicans will use that against them saying they are flip flopping. Why would those 2 be at each others throats one minute then become best friends the next.

16. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

This isn't really an issue of which demographic is voting, it's to do with language. So on the contrary, it's not irrelevant at all. It's how the phase is used... of course, a news anchorperson has no business trying to be hip, but it's not like any of us have high expectations of the USAmerican media, is it?

They should have, but I think the fact that no one has says a lot about gender politics. There is no doubt that Hillary is more of a target for this kind of thing because she is a woman...

Well, I don't know about brilliant... she must be a very resilient person though. This is not the first time she's been the focus of negative media - remember when her father was in office there were all those 'jokes' about her appearance.

17. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

I already said I'd be mad, but he didn't say "whore".

He was pointing out that although the Clintons were saying don't involve her, they were involving her. He didn't say she couldn't, of course she would, just that it seemed kind of hypocritical. Especially since they ignore so many of those other comments, which I did mention, that were far worse. I'm not defending it though, I wouldn't, I can just see why some people think Clinton's reaction seems insincere. Like she's making more of a big deal than she should have, turning it into something it isn't. Couldn't be because she wants to fight back, because why not fight back against the other attacks that are far worse? So, yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think she is just trying to garner sympathy. It's working on the faithful, but from what I've been seeing, there's also a big backlash.

Again, I'm not defending it at all, it was stupid and he shouldn't have said it, but he otherwise has a fairly distinguished career, and it's fairly obvious didn't mean what she is trying to make it seem.

18. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    Where oh where are the l33t Photoshop hackerz when you need them?

19. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

that back and forth over race and MLK wasn't good for either of them. they wanted to show they will bring change so they didnt want the race to look like a typical political fight, so they stopped fighting and started making babies.
    when they were asked about it they pretty much said yes

20. Fast Shadow macrumors 6502a

if you don't want to be accused of pimping out your daughter, then don't pimp her out. Sending her out to have dinner with a 21 year old superdelegate is pimping her out, period.

21. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

She's an adult, she volunteered. That, in my book, is not being pimped out. If it is, then every child who ever does anything for their parents is simply being prostituted for the good of the parents.

It's a sad, sad world when support of a parent gets turned into "being pimped out".

22. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

She had dinner to cajole someone into voting for her mother? Yeah, that's not pimping. Really.

23. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

She was being pimped out. The parents are being called on it. The parents don't like it, even though it's kind of true.

The end.