(Pincushion?) distortion on Panasonic DMC-F3 when recording 720p video...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by iphonepiephone, Jul 5, 2011.

1. iphonepiephone macrumors regular

Okay, so I just bought a Panasonic DMC-F3 compact, and when I record in 720p video mode (this is a screenshot of a video of me shooting my monitor), I see "pincushion"(?) distortion, which is causing vertical lines to bow...

Is this normal, and why is it caused?

Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

Might be a result of recording your screen. try recording a straight line on paper.

3. iphonepiephone thread starter macrumors regular

Are you serious? That's not an answer. :rolleyes:

4. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

Your welcome

5. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

I'm sure video editing software has an option for this too, but you posted in the Photography section and I only know Photoshop :p

If you open up the video in Photoshop, you can use the Lens Correction tool. It lets you fix distortion, even for videos. After converting the layer for Smart Filters (an option in the Filter menu), select Lens Correction (also in the Filter menu) and play with it until straight. Then just hit Render Video (not exactly sure where that one is, I think it's in File) and it should correct the whole video

6. El Cabong macrumors 6502a

Distortion in lenses is normal. In most zooms, it changes at different focal lengths, so if you play around, you may find one with minimal distortion. However, the level of distortion shown in your example will not be obvious in most real-world shooting situations (unless you mostly shoot static videos of straight lines ;)).

7. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Cheap cameras have cheap lenses. Pincushioning and barrel distortion are common.