Pinot -> Panther

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
ThinkSecret reports that the next major Mac OS X upgrade will be named "Panther".

This is reportedly a change from an eWeek article in which it was called Pinot.

Thinksecret also confirms a report of a minor 10.2 update coming in the next few weeks, as originally reported by Spymac

Meanwhile, Apple released a final security update for Mac OS X 10.1 today... found in your software update. This update does not affect Jaguar 10.2.

drastik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2002
Nashvegas
well, I guess we can start speculating wildly now, waddaya say, an OS that can emulate every major game console?

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Originally posted by MacBandit
Ambitious Lemon is right the Cheeetah name has already been used.

v10.0 = Cheetah
v10.1 = Puma
v10.2 = Jaguar
v10.3? = Panther

What's next Tiger or maybe Tigger the OS that bounces!!
Oh. Right. Sorry about that.. wasn't really into OS X until I got my iMac...

:eek:

irmongoose

PyroTurtle

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2001
10 Minutes from Disneyland
bouncing OS = dock...works for me at least...i like the thougt of a Winnie the Pooh themed names of OS versions....
anywho, i don't care what it's called as long as it's better than the one before it! ::militaristic voice::gosh dang it i want speed and stability! ::end militaristic voice::

amnesiac1984

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2002
Europe
actually i thought black panthers were incredibly rare and endangered, and that normal panthers are not black but something else, i'm not sure which! Maybe they literally are Jaguars!

tliptak

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2002
What about the Lion. Its the king of beasts and Mac OS X whatever version is the king of operating systems.

Capt. Obvious

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2002
The Valley of the Blind
Pussies Galore!

Pumas, cougars, panthers, jaguars, and mountain lions - all the same cat, just depends on where you see it.

Surprisingly common in N.A., S.A., Africa, maybe India.

Lion may be "king of beasts", but it's a lard-butt sort of kingship...not the sort of thing to rally the troops, IYKWIM.

theaz

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2002
here are the cat species that I am aware of:

African golden cat
baby cat
black-footed cat
bobcat
Canada lynx
caracal
cheetah
clowded leopard
Eurasian lynx
fishing cat
flat-headed cat
Geoffroy's cat
Iberian lynx
jaguar
jaguarundi
jungle cat
kodkod
leopard (= panther)
lion
margay
mountain cat
ocelot
oncilla
pampas cat
puma (= mountain lion = cougar)
rusty spotted cat
sand cat
serval
snow leopard
Temminck's golden cat
tiger
wild cat

Have I missed anything obvious? At my count, this means that Apple could keep going all the way to Mac OS X 13.1 using non-synonymous big cat names alone (and assuming 0.1 releases each time ;) I think the name "wild cat" is a pretty good one myself.

Note amnesiac1984 & StuPid QPid: A panther is a type of leopard not jaguar although mistakes regarding its identity are made not infrequently.

theaz

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2002
Re: Pussies Galore!

Originally posted by Capt. Obvious
Pumas, cougars, panthers, jaguars, and mountain lions - all the same cat, just depends on where you see it.

Surprisingly common in N.A., S.A., Africa, maybe India.

Lion may be "king of beasts", but it's a lard-butt sort of kingship...not the sort of thing to rally the troops, IYKWIM.
umm, that is incorrect.

pumas, mountain lions and cougars are the same (Felis [Puma] concolor )
jaguar (Panthera onca) is a species in itself
as is the leopard and panther (Panthera pardus)

indeed, pumas are quite different to the jaguar and leopard and are assigned to a different genus. sorry for being technical, but i felt that misinformation had to be corrected.