Pioneer 112D Drive in Mac Pro - What is proven media?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Sean Dempsey, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

My Superdrive, the Pioneer 112D, won't burn at 16x with the media I am using. I have Sony DVD-R (minus r) 4.7gb discs. The packaging says they will do 16x, but so far, I have not been able to burn a disc at higher than 8x.

I have tried using my Raptor drive and a Striped Raid0 drive as my source disc, doesn't seem to matter. Just won't burn at 16X, neither a movie or just data.

Apart from going to Target and getting 10 different brands and types of disc, are there any mac pro users with the Pioneer 112D that can recommend a DVD that has burned at 16X reliably?

My DVD recording needs are mainly for: watching movies in home DVD players, and burning data. I have never re-written in my life, so I don't need a RW. Is a plus+R disc more reliable for this?

Thanks!

2. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I've been through thousands of medias over the years....

Right now I've been using Taiyo Yuden for three years straight, and it's the best media I could come by. Beats Verbatim.

Make sure they are REAL Taiyo's, that is the Made in Japan ones. Supermediastore.com carries a bunch of them.

3. Topper macrumors 65816

Topper

That's correct, Taiyo Yuden. In agreement with everything you said.

4. Sean Dempsey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

Available online only I take it? Are the major brands just not reliable?

5. Topper macrumors 65816

Topper

There have been studies.
    Major brands are reliable.
    Off the top of my head I remember TDK, Sony, and Verbatim as being very reliable.
    But Taiyo Yuden comes in number one.

It's a question of the number of coasters. TDK, Sony, Verbatim have very few coasters.
    Taiyo Yuden has the least number of coasters of all brands.

Here's one such review:
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm