Pioneer DVR-A05 SuperDrive

sjonni

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2002
Iceland
No but NEC ND1100 (in this same article) is yours for $300-350. So I guess it will be on the same price range;)

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Originally posted by Hemingray
Very cool. I just wish they'd up the CD-R and RW speeds!
They have been upped from the previous superdrives.

16X, 12X, 8X, 4X writing
8X, 4X re-writing,

Thats quicker than the A04 drives in current Macs.

rasha

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2002
forget Pioneer

How about the new Sony drive.

All the formats at fast speeds including 24X CD-R. And it is cheap. now that is a SuperDrive!

funkywhat2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2002
Originally posted by sjonni
Shouldn´t DVD+R/RW be superior to DVD-R/RW...or am I wrong! Any comments?:D :D
i think that dvd-r/rw can be read on more players that +r/rw.

but this isn't the place for this discussion:)

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Originally posted by sjonni
Shouldn´t DVD+R/RW be superior to DVD-R/RW...or am I wrong! Any comments?:D :D
DVD-R's can play on almost any DVD Player ever made. As well as things like the Sony Playstation 2.

Compatability is good in some cases.

DreaminDirector

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2002
Ladera Ranch, CA
pardon my newbieness

I was wondering what effect it's going to have on us by having this DVD burner. I'm using a powerbook and a G4 desktop and wanted to know if this is going to be a firewire add-on or an internal thing. And I heard on one of the message boards that Apple isn't allowing 3rd party burners use iDVD. If this is the case, how do I got about burning DVDs with the current system I have (I just bought a 800mhz powerbook and would love to be able to burn DVDs from it). Well, how do I burn DVDs in general if I can't use iDVD?

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
Originally posted by Bear

DVD-R's can play on almost any DVD Player ever made. As well as things like the Sony Playstation 2.

Compatability is good in some cases.
Not so fast... DVD-R compatablity is getting better on the newer players, but still leaves much to be desired. Ralph LeBarge did a compatability test on various brands of DVD media and the results varied widely as I recall. If I have time I'll dig up the link.
The DVD+R format is being pushed by the Microsoft camp mostly, and the "superdrive" is a DVD-R like the new A05.
Not so sure if the Sony really works too well with the -R, but if it does that would be pretty cool, as long as it works in a mac.

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
Re: pardon my newbieness

Originally posted by DreaminDirector
I was wondering what effect it's going to have on us by having this DVD burner. I'm using a powerbook and a G4 desktop and wanted to know if this is going to be a firewire add-on or an internal thing. And I heard on one of the message boards that Apple isn't allowing 3rd party burners use iDVD. If this is the case, how do I got about burning DVDs with the current system I have (I just bought a 800mhz powerbook and would love to be able to burn DVDs from it). Well, how do I burn DVDs in general if I can't use iDVD?
I believe that toast can do it, but nothing you use is going to be as cool as iDVD, except for DVD Studio Pro. I'm not sure if that works with externals, but that is a very pricey program. Why did I even post? I have no idea what I'm talking about. :eek:

Oh well, iDVD rocks...

P-Worm

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Re: Re: pardon my newbieness

Originally posted by P-Worm

Why did I even post? I have no idea what I'm talking about. :eek:

P-Worm
That doesn't seem to stop anybody else around here (including me sometimes). :p

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
The A05 is bound for MDD PowerMacs

The Sony only writes @ 2.5X it is history. This Pioneer DVR-A05 is next in the MDD PowerMac. No one should buy a MDD PowerMac with an A04 SuperDrive in it. That is the fastest way to get the A05 inside. You save $200 to downgrade your MDD order, get a faster CDR drive and buy the A05 in November OEM raw and put it in the second drive slot. Then you pull the CDR and replace it with a Yamaha CRW-F1 for $150 and you have the dream team inside.

PS. I'm the one who pushed MacRumors.com to publish this thread. This news is over a week old and the Pioneer Long Beach PR department isn't going to release a press release until the end of October. Tokyo released it last Tuesday.

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
Anyone spot the story in www.macnn.com this morning about the new DVD drives being shown at Ceatec?
To quote Macnn:
"Pioneer displayed both DVR-K11RZ (tray-loading notebook SuperDrive with 2x/2x/8x DVD-RW and 16x/10x/24x CD-RW functions) and its 3.5" desktop DVR-105RZ (4x/2x/12x DVD-RW and 16x/10x/40x CD-RW).
* A "traverse mechanism" (slot-loading?) version of the notebook SuperDrive drive appears to be even smaller and is due to begin production in December 2002 with 2x/2x/8x DVD-RW and 16x/10x/24x CD-RW functions. "

Its coming.

Mr. G4

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2002
Rohnert Park, CA
Re: pardon my newbieness

Originally posted by DreaminDirector
For now you won't be able to use it with your PB, however, for your PowerMac just pop out the old drive and put the DVD burner in place, you are good to burn you iDVD movies.

nixd2001

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2002
UK
Originally posted by SPG

The DVD+R format is being pushed by the Microsoft camp mostly
The main proponent of DVD+R is Philips. MS may have joined in recently, but they're sticking their fingers in to most things DVD at present, so I wouldn't read too much into that. Strip away all the spin and DVD-R vs DVD+R is Pioneer vs Phlips. Sony is the interesting player here because they want to back the winner (they always do) and they're now backing both formats. This suggests to me that this division isn't about to go away for a while, unfortunately.

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
DVD+RW sucks. I think that Apple made a smart move by going with the regular DVD-R. For one thing, DVD-R can play on ALL standard DVD players, not certain more expensive ones. The thing is, DVD-R is never going to become obsolete, it can't because it works on everything. However, DVD+RW only works on a select few and can therefore fail. Gosh I love Apple... :)

P-Worm

DaedalusDE

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2002
Long Island, NY
not true... there are 3 dvd players that dvd-r wont work on... a mitsubishi, the bottom of the line oritron (and i have the top) and some other one... but whatever... just saying that dvd-r isnt perfect (but its pretty damn close)

Sauron1440

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2002
Firmware flashing...

If and when the DVR-AO5 is included in mew macs and Apple has it's firmware installed in 'em - would it be possible to flash the Apple firmware over a 3rd party DVR-105 and stick it into an older mac?
For example - if I buy a 3rd party Superdrive that's the same model as the current superdrive, will Apple's firmware take on a drive that wasn't originally OEM?

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Apple doesn't put firmware in A05s

Yes you can buy an A05 and put it in an old Mac and it will work just fine. Apple doesn't burn firmware into their SupereDrives Ñ only writes a driver for them. That's exactly what you should do when the A05 comes out. Don't waste your money buying a 105 retail box. Just use http://www.pricewatch.com to buy an OEM RAW A05 as cheap as possible.

My guess is that the driver for the A05 will be the same or almost the same driver they are using for the A04. I can't imagine why the driver whould have to be rewritten at all. It's just a faster A04. But I'm no software driver expert at all so I may be wrong. Any readers of this string know if changes will be needed to the SuperDrive driver?

TechLarry

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2002
This is all moot.

On October 11th Sony will devestate all other manufacturers, until those manufacturers follow suit.

TL