"Pirates of Silicon Valley" DVD

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Is it good? Reasonably accurate? I won't buy it, but there's always Netflix.

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
How realistic is it? I can't tell you. But there were enough small scenes in the movies that had NOTHING to do with the guts of the story, that you figure they had to be based on some facts or old news story.

Also, While it does paint Microsoft as the more evil company, I wouldn't say it makes Jobs look like a better guy. All and all the movie dealt our dirt on everyone.

eroyce

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2004
Minnesota (brrrr)
Pirates of Silicon Valley

The movie was alright, and I understand why it has been called a "tech cult classic", but I would highly recommend you check out the book that it was based on "Fire in the Valley". This is far more in depth about the beginnings of the personal computer, and in my opinion, far more interesting. If you've never heard of either of these, make it a goal for labor day weekend, you'll be rewarded with geekiness fulfillment.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
eroyce said:
The movie was alright, and I understand why it has been called a "tech cult classic", but I would highly recommend you check out the book that it was based on "Fire in the Valley". This is far more in depth about the beginnings of the personal computer, and in my opinion, far more interesting. If you've never heard of either of these, make it a goal for labor day weekend, you'll be rewarded with geekiness fulfillment.
Fire in the Valley should be required reading for all geeks and nerds. Simply a fascinating read, or, as my wife would say, "mind-numbingly boring and pointless." :D

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Its about freaking time. I ended up copying my VHS tape and making a DVD out of it because I'm actively trying to get rid of my VHS player. (Down to 16 movies left.) This movie is great. If you haven’t had a chance to see it yet do so.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Gah....on WB's web site..........

Full Screen, Original Aspect Ratio - 1.33
No sale for me. I don't buy ANY DVD in P&S. Yes I know the time frame of the movie was before most made for TV movies did wide aspect ratio filming but still. P&S is so damn primitive....wider is better.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
SiliconAddict said:
No sale for me. I don't buy ANY DVD in P&S. Yes I know the time frame of the movie was before most made for TV movies did wide aspect ratio filming but still. P&S is so damn primitive....wider is better.
So you'd rather buy one with the top and bottom cut off? :confused:

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
SiliconAddict said:
You're missing the fact that it was shot in 4:3 and that it was originally presented in 4:3.

If you want 16:9, you're going to lose ~1/3 of the image. Do you really want that?

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
SiliconAddict said:
No I just don't support P&S movies. The format has to die and soon.
I agree with you, but I'm OK with the fact that the movie was originally shot in 4:3 and is therefore presented in 4:3. It's not pan & scan if it was originally 4:3.

For the record, I don't buy pan & scan DVDs. The one exception I can think of is the works of Stanley Kubrick, many of which (Eyes Wide Shut, Full Metal Jacket, The Shining) are stupidly cropped to 4:3 from their original aspect ratios at Kubrick's personal insistence.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
clayj said:
I agree with you, but I'm OK with the fact that the movie was originally shot in 4:3 and is therefore presented in 4:3. It's not pan & scan if it was originally 4:3.

For the record, I don't buy pan & scan DVDs. The one exception I can think of is the works of Stanley Kubrick, many of which (Eyes Wide Shut, Full Metal Jacket, The Shining) are stupidly cropped to 4:3 from their original aspect ratios at Kubrick's personal insistence.

Actually I stand corrected. I have ONE 4:3 in my collection. Transformers: The movie. For some reason it was filmed in some weird aspect ratio that ended up being 4:3.

What I will probably do is pick it up used at Hollywood Video in a month or so. That way I’m not directly paying Hollywood. I know its somewhat stupid but if you understand the nature of P&S vs. WS you know what WS is simply superior. *shrugs* Of course it doesn't hurt that I'm biased with a WS TV at home. :D

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
SiliconAddict said:
Actually I stand corrected. I have ONE 4:3 in my collection. Transformers: The movie. For some reason it was filmed in some weird aspect ratio that ended up being 4:3.

What I will probably do is pick it up used at Hollywood Video in a month or so. That way I’m not directly paying Hollywood. I know its somewhat stupid but if you understand the nature of P&S vs. WS you know what WS is simply superior. *shrugs* Of course it doesn't hurt that I'm biased with a WS TV at home. :D
Well, it's the same here: I have a 16:9 plasma in my living room and a 16:9 tube TV in my bedroom... not to mention the widescreen LCDs in my office. I love 16:9.

But you can't hold their feet to the fire too much for releasing a movie in 4:3 when it was originally 4:3... which, by definition, means it's NOT pan & scan (pan & scan requires that a widescreen format be cut DOWN to 4:3).

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
SiliconAddict said:

I don't think you're quite understanding this.

THIS DVD IS NOT P&S.

It was filmed (and presented) in a 4:3 format. That makes it a "standard" format disc, but NOT a P&S disc. If you were to convert this movie to 16x9, you'd be losing ~1/3 of the total image. Do you really want that?

Shunning a release just because it's not widescreen is pretty ignorant when the source was shot and released in 4:3.

slipper

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2003
i saw this movie a while ago. if this movie is accurate i can understand why SJ was fired, he was portrayed as a complete ass with absolutely no management skill.