Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Heart Break Kid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2003
Toronto
ok
So i just switched. I had a horrible Dell that kept crashing and finally decided to buy me a mac. Put my order in for the 17 inch powerbook G4 with 1 gig ram. heres my porblem. Why in the hell is it gonna take 3 months for it to get here???????????????????????? i took a chance on apple and dished out nearly $5000 on the PB and some software and the least they could do is deliver it in a timley efficient manner. i know im getting a good machine, but 3 months is an insane wait. if they seriously expect people to switch and also wait for 1/4 year before they get there computer they got another thing coming. this is no way to do buisness. max delivery time should be 2 weeks. my god...i may have had my problems with dell but atleast they got me the computer on time....i had a computer to bitch about but apple doesnt even do that much.

and another thing. i called the apple store to check why it was taking so damn long and ive never heard from anyone as rude and aragont as the assclown who answered the phone. theres no excuse for crap like this.

i know alot of people who've ordered the 17in PB's are pretty pissed that our comp's havent got here.

seriously considering switching my ass back to Dell. Atleast i had a computer....a crappy one no doubt...but it was less then 1/2 the price i paid for this and it showed up 5 days after i ordered it.

Heart Break Kid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2003
Toronto
thanks man

appreciate it
but the level of frustration is insane

and i dont blame just APPLE

i blame damn Arlo Rose. WHY DID HE HAVE TO INVENT KONFABULATOR AND RELEASE IT NOW?????!! that proggy makes me want my mac even more!!

damnit
i swear to god....i wanna take steve jobs private jet and stick it up his bum bum

TMA

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2003
England
I can understand your frustration, it isn't a happy tale I agree. :(

I think you should try to bare in mind that these are highly desirable machines and Apple will probably struggle to meet the initial demand. Also Apple announced these computers at the first chance they got - and they did say there would be some wait before they became available (can't remember the exact date they first quoted) It is unfortunate that something seems to have gone wrong putting them back even further.

I think you'll love it to pieces (not literally I hope) when it does get there.

Heart Break Kid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2003
Toronto
damnit
whats more frustrating is i know ill love it too pieces also

i love it right now and its not even here

i feel like im being seperated from my wife or soemthing...i cant deal with this...i may end up having a quick affair with a borrowed dell laptop

i hope appy (thats her name - all 17 inches of her) wont find out

Foucault

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2002
Pasadena, CA
If the Apple store doesn't even have them on display yet, do you really expect that you were going to get you 17' PB on time. Apple is not hoarding these PB's just to piss you off. I used to work for an Apple reseller, and we had to deal with all the customer complaints every time a new product comes out. I'ts something that we expected from Apple. Macintosh customers demand more than the average PC consumer. Apple is not doing this to inconvenient its customers.

What would you rather have? Receive your computer on time without going through all the proper quality assurance check up. Or wait a few weeks to get a computer that Apple can stand proudly behind.

I hate to make this analogy, but it's the same thing with cars. You can pick up a Honda from the dealership at the time of purchase. But if you wanted a Ferari, you would likely have to wait a few months for it to be shipped out and checked out.

Heart Break Kid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2003
Toronto
maybe so

the mac maybe a great piece of hardware no doubt...and maybe it should be delayed a bit to go through the appropriate quality checks...but the wait time on a ferrari shouldnt be the same as the wait time on a mac ...hell...when we bought our porche (boxter not 911) the wait was 4 months. thats only 1 month longer then apple...thats crazy

they should either higher more people to get the "checks done" faster or they should have delayed the announcment until the next MW

bertagert

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2003
I hate people like Heart Break Kid!!!

Don't believe a thing this guy says. He knew when he ordered his new powerbook that it wouldn't get to him in 3 months.

Heart Break Kid - your the type of person where you never read instructions and think because something isn't working the way you want it to, that's its someone or somethings fault. I Hate people like you! The type of person that thinks the customer is right no matter what. I can tell all this in the message you wrote. I would normally not do this but working in the retail world showed me how ignorant people really are. Heart Break Kid you are one of them!

The sucky thing is, me ranting won't change a thing. You'll have the same reaction on your next purchase of anything. Doesn't it bother you how many things you've bought that never worked out?

You knew it was going to take that long to get your new powerbook. PLease don't come here and complain.

Sorry everyone, just had to get that off my chest.

edit: Thanks for the heads up on the name edit

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
What custom things did you order? A GB of RAM would delay it, as would software, and pretty much anything custom ordered; Apple ships everything at once, from every computer I've seen from them. My advice: get a stock one, with as little as you need customized, and it'll arrive sooner. Then buy the rest (RAM especially) from somewhere else.

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
Re: I hate people like Foucault!!!

Originally posted by bertagert
Don't believe a thing this guy says. He knew when he ordered his new powerbook that it wouldn't get to him in 3 months.

Foucault - your the type of person where you never read instructions and think because something isn't working the way you want it to, that's its someone or soomethings fault. I Hate people like you! The type of person that thinks the customer is right no matter what. I can tell all this in the message you wrote. I would normally not do this but working in the retail world showed me how ignorant people really are. Foucault is one of them!

Umm... you hate the wrong person... Heart Break Kid is the one who's complaining.

Heart Break Kid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2003
Toronto
about the shipping everything at once

no no
thats not right
i recieved all the software and the printer
they have an option for 2 day delivery

im just waiting on the actual computer!!
and the brethaven case

Heart Break Kid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2003
Toronto
bertagart

ok i hate to break it to you..but when i ordered the PB it said on or before 3/5 .. that was a 2 month delay. its now on or before 4/25

so dont tell me when i ordered it i knew of a 3 month delay.
and i hate to break it to ya....but if ya want to run a buisness succesfuly the customer is sure as hell always right. so excuse me if i point out how in the wrong APPLE is...because im the customer...im the one who dished out the cash...and im right...theres no 2 ways around it....if you really did work in a retail store...you ought to know that...or maybe you dont work in retail anymroe cuz u never learned that lil lesson?

and about your ranting? you can rant and rave all you like...it means nothing to me...u get ur opinion when u dish out a wad of cash on apple...like me and a bunch of other ppl have

maybe then ull realize a 3 month waiting period is ridiculous

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
USA
Maybe they are working out some bugs in it before they ship them. Would you rather have a computer with bugs delivered in a week, or a bug-free computer that you get a few months later?

But, I bet that it is frustrating, and three months is a while.

Tiauguinho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2002
The Netherlands
I agree with you Heart Break Kid... I understand the frustration and the hurry of getting the new comp that you've paid for in time. 3 monthts wait is insane and pretty stupid, its half the life of a product update!

uberzephyr

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2003
ship was 3/5, now 4/25...

It's possible that it was "on or before 3/5" at the time you ordered several weeks ago, and since they haven't shipped any yet, new orders in backlog have moved that further back so that a new order placed today would ship "on or before" 4/25.

You're already in the pipeline. Sit tight till at least 3/5 before you melt down. Good luck.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
I looked at this thread and wondered where my posts went.
Then it dawned on me. Duplicate threades in diffrent forums.
This is the more active thread, but here is a link to diffrent thread on the same subjected started by Heart Break Kid.

bertagert

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2003
Heart Break Kid,

I think we need to clear the air. I just got done reading your same post in another thread (hardware discussion). In there you state that you ordered and things got pushed back. In this thread you never stated that. Lets call a truce!

Friends?

yosoyjay

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2002
Canada
I'd be pissed as well. I don't understand how Apple can take orders for what was really a paper release. They should have been straightforward and let folks know that it was going to be pre-order.

Jaykay

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2002
Ireland
I hate to break it to ye but ive got nearly every mac i have ever ordered at most 2 or 3 weeks later. Including Brand new models like the 1.25 Ghz DP when it first came out.

I think that maybe because i live less than 50 miles from one of apples few assembly plants.. i love this country (Irealnd that is)

MorganX

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
Midwest
Re: I hate people like Heart Break Kid!!!

Originally posted by bertagert
I Hate people like you! The type of person that thinks the customer is right no matter what.

Lighten up on the hate. There are worse things in life more deserving. I can tell you haven't had much experience pleasing customers. Whether or not the customer is always right, they always have the right to courteous service. Part of a customer service job is to handle tough customers as long as they are not attacking the rep.

You always take care of your customer. I have had a positive experience recently with Apple customer service. However, based on many Apple customer claims, Apple's customer service does suffer from arrogance and a lack of focus on customer satisfaction. When you have your customers by the balls, that can happen sometimes. There's no place else to get a Mac.

I patiently wait 2 weeks for a 1Ghz iMac. A machine that cost 2k, is underpowered and will be obsolete in its own class in 6 months (probably) and I will have no upgrade option. Yet because I want it, and wish to support Apple, I'll live with the loss. But that means I'll accept even less poor customer service. Right now, Apple's customers are doing them a favor by buying into obsolescence. Like no other PC company, Apple should be bending over backwards to kiss its customers A**es.

Heart Break Kid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2003
Toronto
morganx

i cant agree with you more. very nicley put.

yah..i had a nap and woke up...i feel sorta guilty putting up this thread....had a rough day..then saw that my delivery date was delayed again....put me over

guess i just needed to vent

ahh
but still would like it soon
im sure every1 else feels the same

:)

NanoDoc

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2003
Hmmm...
Switch then, you loser. We don't care.

Let me make several things perfectly clear here to you whiner.
1. Apple initially quoted end of Feb. Guess what it is only the 18th of Feb. and there are already PB's showing up in Apple stores as of this week. Which means that most assuredly there will be the first wave of 17"'s shipping by the end of Feb.
2. You were without a doubt given an initial ship time of 7-10 weeks (I think they actually decreased that to 6-8 weeks at the end of Jan.). So, you knew exactly when and I will just about guarantee that you would be getting your computer by the quoted time or earlier that you were initially quoted.
3. As far as Dell is concerned, albeit I have not heard of 7-10 week "lead times"(as they refer to it), but I know for a fact that their new computers very often have lead times of 6-8 weeks. I mean new as in the latest Pentium or graphics card, etc.
4. Finally, there is nothing in the PC world that even compares to Apples PB's. Although, people can compare things in the desktop realm that in all honesty are better than Macs. The same can not be said for laptop. Compare most features on PB's to other PC manufacturers and you will see that they do not compare (even PC only magazines relent to this fact). And I am talking shear performance here. Then add to that that they are the most brilliantly engineered laptops for YEARS running all the way back to the Wallstreet books.

So, go ahead and see if anyones gives a hoot about your whining. Because they all know that your stopped order will mean that they will get theres a little qiucker.

CMH

MorganX

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
Midwest
Re: Switch then, you loser. We don't care.

Originally posted by NanoDoc
3. As far as Dell is concerned, albeit I have not heard of 7-10 week "lead times"(as they refer to it), but I know for a fact that their new computers very often have lead times of 6-8 weeks. I mean new as in the latest Pentium or graphics card, etc.

CMH

Dell and Acer probably have 8-10 week lead times on their 17" widescreen laptops. The difference is they're not taking orders or advertising them yet.

i_am_a_cow

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2001
pb 17 inch is special

Originally posted by Tiauguinho
I agree with you Heart Break Kid... I understand the frustration and the hurry of getting the new comp that you've paid for in time. 3 monthts wait is insane and pretty stupid, its half the life of a product update!

not half the life of THIS product. this ones gonna last a while. (and then it will take another extra 3 months to ship the update :D :D :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.