Pissed - There's dirt behind on back of iphone glass

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tom12282, Jul 2, 2010.

1. tom12282 macrumors newbie

tom12282

Okay, I dunno if anyone have similar issue like me, but I noticed there's a little dirt behind of the glass on the back of the iphone

Long story short, but here's what happened:
    I waited few hours to get the new iPhone on the release date. Of course, I didn't see this dirt when I first got it.

Few days passed by, I was cleaning my iphone and noticed there was a small dot, that looks like a dirt, on the back of the iphone glass.

So, I scheduled for an appointment w/ tech at the genius bar in the apple store. However, they were telling me that because dirt doesn't affect on "functionality," they wouldn't honor the replacement.

I am not pissed. Last year, the ATT wouldn't let me upgrade to iPhone 3GS and now this! I even tried to persuade the manager that I would've asked for different iphone if i knew there was small dot on the back of the glass

Here, I've enclosed the images, and tell me what you think of.
    [​IMG]

Now this small dot doesn't appear unless if you put it into certain angles.
    Tell me what you think.

2. fuzion macrumors 6502

The iP4 has the screen laminated on to the front glass, which means the only [in theory] way dust could get between the two is during production; take it back and ask for a replacement phone.

:)

Edit: If it comes down to it, you're within your 30 day return period so return it and buy it again.

3. Loiterer macrumors member

I can't see the pictures, but I will say that if that is the worst problem on your phone, there are lots of people who would happily trade places with you.

4. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

5. tom12282 thread starter macrumors newbie

tom12282

sorry,
    Here it is

Attached Files:

6. IndianaSolo macrumors member

IndianaSolo

I had this same issue with my iPad on day of release. Took it back to the apple store and they gave me a brand new one. I would go back and speak with someone else, preferably the manager and not a Genius. Try again in my opinion. Good luck to you too. :)

7. tom12282 thread starter macrumors newbie

tom12282

I just called the apple customer/technical support and said they can't do anything about it.. Now I am waiting to speak w/ the supervisor..

Sux ass

8. tom12282 thread starter macrumors newbie

tom12282

yes, it's the white dot below the camera..

9. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

are you serious... it doesn't affect you at all... sigh:rolleyes:

10. IndianaSolo macrumors member

IndianaSolo

Ah, it's on the back. I didn't read carefully. I'd still be wanting a new one, you paid for a "perfect" new device, not a flawed one. Just return it and buy a new one if customer service or a store manager won't help. Worst case scenario that's what you'll have to do I suppose. Sorry.

11. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

The image makes Sprint look better than ever.

12. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Dude the guy was being lazy. They have equipment at apple stores to remove and replace the glass.

I'd go back and ask them to take it in the back remove the glass and either clean or replace it.

13. tom12282 thread starter macrumors newbie

tom12282

Still waiting to talk to the supervisor. Yeah, worse case scenario, I could just return it and get a different iphone. Perhaps it could be another excuse to get the white iphone. :/

14. FireSokar macrumors regular

simple, order a new phone @ the store. Once received pay 699 for it if its 32gb, return your current phone before 30 days is up if all works out right you should be able to swap it in time. at most you could be out of a phone a week or two but have a spec free phone... honestly it isnt a big deal if you cant clean it yourself you can buy a replacement back for 50$ in a couple of weeks once demand dims down.

15. IndianaSolo macrumors member

IndianaSolo

Hah, that's me....no iPhone 4 till "the second half of July" for me.

16. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

Dude just take it back and say you're not satisfied with it. Apple just released the press statement that specifically says if you are not satisfied you can return it with no restock fee. Print the statement and take it to the Apple store.

17. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

Bah, it's so small but I probably would be OCD on that little spec too. I had some dust under the glass on my 3G and the people at Apple replaced it within 30m no questions asked. While I'm sure the screen is more important than the back of the phone, they should be able to easily pop it off and clean it unless they don't have the tools required which would be a surprise.

18. tom12282 thread starter macrumors newbie

tom12282

Good news, I spoke to one of the supervisor at the apple call center, and they will send a replacement.
    He said that I will be getting the brand new model (not the remanufactured/refurbished). Though it might come with regular black or white generic box. He stated that the remanufactured/refurbished model's serial number starts with number and letter.

The new model, on the other hand, said start from 4-5 numbers. Is this true?

19. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

That's good. Make sure it's new. I'm not sure on the difference between the new and refurbs though.

20. Hawklight macrumors member

:D

21. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Ever heard of Shilling? A certain poser probably works for Sprint.

22. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Ugh, just found what appears to be a tiny fleck of dust under the back glass of my ip4 also... Just got the phone today.

I'm trying to decide what to do... the thing is freakin' microscopic. The only time I would ever notice is with a light shining directly on it... But it's there man, it's there...

Would removing the back glass myself void the warranty? I'm debating bringing it in, but who knows, I may wind up with an even worse problem. I think I may already have dust under the front glass also,.. sigh..

I guess one way of looking at it is: I shelled out for the AppleCare Plan. Chances are a year from now, there will be some other cosmetic issue. Dust under glass has always been covered as a manufacturing issue, so I can always replace the front/back down the road in theory... Argh.

23. JackSpearo macrumors regular

I love the iphone as much as the next guy, but a lot of you people are wayyyyy to OCD about the dang thing...

I mean I got a brand new Rolex for my college graduation and I do have some dings on it, but it comes with the territory, nothing is going to remain perfect...

they make medicine like prozac that might help guys...

24. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

are you kidding me?!? haha dude its a phone, not a diamond. there are going to be slight imperfections on every phone if you look hard enough. Best thing you can do is work on your OCD issue and just keep it. It truly isn't something that warrants an exchange and shouldn't upset you.

25. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

you are getting a refurb. just keep your original unit, this small dot isn't worth exchanging it.