Pittsburgh’s Police Chief ...... #End White Silence

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LIVEFRMNYC, Jan 5, 2015.

1. sim667 macrumors 65816

"I resolve to challenge racism at work", is not, by definition calling people racist, its saying that you reject racism.

The choice to berate this man for his stand is holding the force up as a racist force, I hope they get their comeuppence.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

3. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Until some activists engaged him with a placard saying "I resolve to challenge racism at work", was he just ignoring racism?

If he had seen no racism, why bother with the sign?

Either he was complicit in overlooking racism before finding out (gasp!) that racism is wrong, or he's hopping on the police-are-racists bandwagon and throwing his fellow wearers of the badge under the paddy wagon.

Either way, the guy seems like an opportunist to me.

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Without evidence of his taking advantage of this opportunity, I think you're being overly cynical.

I'd call him an idealist.

5. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

Opportunist for what?

Seems like he has more to directly loss than gain. Maybe he just figured, the bigger picture was more noble than worrying about how his comrades would react.

6. sim667 macrumors 65816

Oppurtunist for what?

7. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

If the first day of being a cop was also the day he adopted his slogan, I'd agree that he is an idealist.

But he's a police chief who I assume came up through the ranks. Why was he silent about racism until it became a politically advantageous stance? Either it was present and he ignored it or it wasn't there and he's just fanning the anti-cop flames.

That makes him an opportunist of the worst sort.

----------

He's exploiting the "cops-are-racists" rant for political advantage.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

What political advantage?

9. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

How should I know? Maybe he's got plans for something after retiring from the force? Maybe he just wants to be in the limelight. The point is, there's no reasonable excuse for him suddenly adopting the EndWhiteSilence slogan unless he's an opportunist (i.e., exploiting the situation for gain, political or otherwise) or incompetent (for not realizing that racism was wrong--or that being silent about racism was wrong--until confronted by activists).

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Or perhaps he's only just realised how big a problem racism is in the police.

11. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Please explain how a police chief, with many years on the force, has that epiphany?

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The same as the rest of us...

13. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

That doesn't make sense. Do you regularly encounter racism and not speak up about it? Do you not know that racism is wrong?

Can you be more specific?

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Until cases like Brown and Garner came to light and the way the US police then buried their heads in the sand and pretended they were ok I would never have thought the U.S. police had a racism issue.

15. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

You still don't know that. You just interpret events in a way that suits your prejudices.

That doesn't explain how a police chief has an epiphany about racism on the force that doesn't make him look clueless or craven.

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Yeah I'm just assuming good faith.

17. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

You keep losing me. Who is showing good faith? The police chief?

Can you address the points I've made repeatedly that weigh heavily against "good faith" being the motivation for EndWhiteSilence?

18. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Who said he had one ?

Someone asked for a selfie with a slogan-poster and the guy thought "yeah I can aggree with that".

Would you have had the same reaction if it had been a "support the troops" poster albeit the chief never before voicing his patriotism ?

19. citizenzen macrumors 65816

If you don't know, then why would you leap to that accusation in the first place?

20. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

People always have motivations for their behavior. Otherwise their behavior wouldn't change.

Actually, a more apt example would be if he was a general officer sporting a sign that read "SpeakOutAboutPoWAbuse". Would you see that as a sign supporting the troops or condemning them in absentia?

----------

Well, gosh. I've given multiple explanations for his actions, yet nobody addresses them.

Why don't you try?

21. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    The pot is most definitely calling the kettle black here.

22. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Ah, cliches.

Alright, I've given several reasons to back up why I think the chief was being an opportunist. So far, none of your compadres had given anything more in response than a lame equivalent of "maybe he's just a nice guy".

But it is nice to see you chiming in in solidarity.

23. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Reasons? No. You've given several assumptions based upon absolutely nothing. You're spinning his actions in the worst possible light, then accusing others of political bias when they attempt to refute you.

24. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

I'm spinning them in the only light that illuminates. If you've got a different set of assumptions that cover the circumstances, pray lay them out.