Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
infoAppleStore is reporting a tip that there will be a new Apple store in Pittsburgh soon.

Pittsburgh - The city is being revitalized, and up-scale malls and entertainment sites are popping up everywhere. Now Apple has cast it's hook into the waters of the Monongahelia River, and will open a retail store in the city, most likely at The Waterfront, a huge mall assembled inside a decommissioned U.S. Steel mill.

if true, and this site has a great record on this stuff, it would be the first store in the largest US metro area currently without a store.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
I'm surprised it took 'em this long. Cleveland only got its store last year. If they follow suit, they'll put it in the most upscale part of town, far from where the average folks live. I think that part is unfortunate.

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
Thomas Veil said:
I'm surprised it took 'em this long. Cleveland only got its store last year. If they follow suit, they'll put it in the most upscale part of town, far from where the average folks live. I think that part is unfortunate.

As a former Yinzer the Station Square is probably the best place to put it and that is fairly central.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
Central is good. Ours is on the far east end of town. I'm on the far west end of town, so it's about an hour's drive, through one of the most congested stretches of highway in town. Needless to say, I won't be visiting very often. :(

trebblekicked

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2002
Chicago, IL, USA
maybe with the new north shore development they'll put it in between pnc park and heinz field. i know they're looking for vendors for that section. that would be good news for apple's steel city profile, but bad news for mac outfitters, the store i bought all my stuff from before i moved. those are good guys.

jaykk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
CA
Finally

yes, Station Square should have been a better place. But Waterfront is cool too.. I like the upscale South Hills Mall better though.

I hope its coming soon

yuc7zhd2

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2003
Does Apple generally do the $250 grab bag at every opening or was that just a San Fran thing? I would definitely do a Pitt campout if that were the case. I'd have to disagree with the downtown locations idea though and say that Robinson would be ideal. Actually, Station Square is a bit of a dump, isn't it. It's one of those places like Underground Atlanta where there aren't really any decent stores, just crafty independents and a crappy mall record store. Anyways, sorry to offend anyone if they really like it and it has changed since last I've been there.

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Just as everyone leaves and the door shuts on Pittsburgh, an Apple Store will be opened! ;)

Hm. Maybe the city can get the taxpayers to fund $500 million for construction like they did for the stadiums.

Or maybe it'll close down like all of the clubs.

That said, I hope it comes to the waterfront, not because I like that blight of consumerism...but it's at least convenient to my house.

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
What a horrid quote:

Pittsburgh - The city is being revitalized, and up-scale malls and entertainment sites are popping up everywhere. Now Apple has cast it's hook into the waters of the Monongahelia River, and will open a retail store in the city, most likely at The Waterfront, a huge mall assembled inside a decommissioned U.S. Steel mill.

Pittsburgh is HARDLY being revitalized! Unless you count a bunch of chain malls as revitalizartion!

Our baseball team is bleeding red ink in a stadium built to supposedly make it competitive, our hockey team is dying and can't retain star players. Our citipark system is in disarray, and many public pools and rec centers are closing. The Lazarus-Macy's building is gonna be shut down in June after a whopping 3 years in business, and all that construction...for nothing!

Young people are leaving in droves, there's little or no jobs here, Forbes ranks it the worst city to be single in, we've become a tier three music industry draw, after seeing the three major clubs (500+ capacity) close within the past year.

Christ. What a bunch of mediocre reporting! Revitalization my ass! I mean, if a shopping center is built in the middle of nowhere, will people come to shop? Doubt it.

And secondly, the Waterfront isn't inside a decommissioned steel mill. They tore down the mill to build an sprawling shopping center that the old people in neighboring homestead can't enjoy simply because there's absoltely no way to walk anywhere (it's SOOOo spread out) and because there's like, two bus stops. What a joke of urban planning!

Another Pittsburgh misstep, IMHO, in the sterling tradition of Penn Circle and Allegheny Center. An easy way to ensure a neighborhood dies. Certainly! *shakes head*

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
Moxiemike said:
Pittsburgh is HARDLY being revitalized! Unless you count a bunch of chain malls as revitalizartion!

I don't think Gary over at infoAppleStore really pretends to know what is going on in Pittsburgh. I think it is just a simple tip that he received about Apple planning to open a new store in your fair city. Does this mean you think they should skip it? I would think you are looking at a year out at the earliest. Usually it takes four to six months from when the job listings are posted at Apple's site. As of now, there are none for a Pittsburgh store. When I see them I'll post a notice. Hope it is not too long.

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
"He drops me off at Carnegie Mellon University, where I hook up with the team at the Robotics Institute, which are doing some pretty fantastic stuff with Linux, but yearn for a local Macintosh fix. Surprise! They tell me it won't be long before an Apple retail store comes to Pittsburgh, most likely in the nearby "The Waterfront" mall development along the Monongahelia River."
Why would a team at robotics institutes get advance knowledge of an apple store? Seems like speculation, not fact.

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
jimsowden said:
"He drops me off at Carnegie Mellon University, where I hook up with the team at the Robotics Institute, which are doing some pretty fantastic stuff with Linux, but yearn for a local Macintosh fix. Surprise! They tell me it won't be long before an Apple retail store comes to Pittsburgh, most likely in the nearby "The Waterfront" mall development along the Monongahelia River."
Why would a team at robotics institutes get advance knowledge of an apple store? Seems like speculation, not fact.

It is always possible that the tip is wrong. However, most tips concerning the opening of new stores that have been broken by this site have been right. I can't vouch for the tip because I haven't a clue where it comes from, however, I would note that Carnegie Mellon is the former workplace of one very highly placed Apple Exec.

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
jimsowden said:

They use a lot of Macs at CMU. That is where I got seriously started on them. I helped program something there called "the Genie" as compiler/development environment. That was on a mac.

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
MongoTheGeek said:
They use a lot of Macs at CMU. That is where I got seriously started on them. I helped program something there called "the Genie" as compiler/development environment. That was on a mac.

And wasn't OS X's mach3 kernel developed at CMU?

CMU is one of the few things Pittsburgh might have going for it.

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
Moxiemike said:

Yes, the head of Apple's software development is from CMU. I'm not trying to say that Tevanian is the source for the tip on the store, I'm only trying to say there are many connections between Apple and CMU that could be a source for insider information.

As chief software technology officer, Avie Tevanian focuses on setting company-wide software technology directions for Apple. Tevanian joined Apple in February of 1997 as senior vice president of Software Engineering and is a recognized pioneer in creating cross-platform development environments used worldwide. Tevanian was appointed to his current role in 2003.

Before joining Apple, Tevanian was vice president of Engineering at NeXT and was responsible for managing NeXT’s industry renowned engineering department. Tevanian started his professional career at Carnegie Mellon University, where he was a principal designer and engineer of the Mach operating system upon which NEXTSTEP is based.

bold type added

link

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
wordmunger said:
They aren't doing it at the Charlotte opening this Friday :(

That doesn't seem to be fair. So is Apple playing favorites? Meaning is the $250 bag just going to be for Flagship Store openings.

trebblekicked

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2002
Chicago, IL, USA
Moxiemike said:

i grew up down the street from cmu and was a student there for a couple years. if you live in squirrel hill and go to cmu, it's easy to forget that the city is falling apart around you.

i do remember cmu's mac representation being pretty high. i haven't taken a class there since '00, but even in the old pre-osx days, there was at least 1 mac lab per building.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
wdlove said:
That doesn't seem to be fair. So is Apple playing favorites? Meaning is the $250 bag just going to be for Flagship Store openings.

I don't know about "favorites" -- every store can't be a flagship. It does mean that this Charlottean won't be there for the opening! But I probably will drop by sometime in the next week. I want to see the new Nordstrom's, too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.