Pix: Wife's iP4 w/SGP white leather skin, oleo. film & pink bumper

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Domino8282, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Well, she had her heart set on a white iPhone 4, but after today's news we bit the bullet... Our Apple Store had several 32GB's available for walk-ins for the first time since launch.

Funny story about the oleophobic film. We got the thing on, had to readjust once, and we were using the squeegee to remove bubbles. We were getting more and more worried, because the squeegee seemed to be scratching the hell out of the film. By the time we had worked all the bubbles out, it looked quite bad. We debated back and forth about whether to scrap it and just start again with a fresh one.

Finally my wife peeled what she thought was the film off the front, and said, "Wait, there's something still on here." That's when we realized that the protective layer was still attached... we had just pulled the little sticker tab off the protective covering... The actual film was still underneath and looked flawless. Yeah, needless to say we were quite relieved!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

3. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

i see sgp is finally shipping the updated skins

i have the teardrop back version

might have to order the black leather now

thanks for sharing :D

4. Los macrumors regular

I have the teardrop version too and I ordered them exactly a week from now. I think they changed the design because it was causing a flash problem, but I gotta tell you, I do not have that problem at all.

I think the reason some people had that problem was because the tear drop cut wasn't perfectly aligned with the Camera and the LED.

5. Nrwrit3r macrumors 6502a

Is the white backing something separate from the bumper type thing you have on it? If so what's it called??

6. hzeat macrumors member

my girlfriend and i were just talking about the exact same combo today, looks great! i had gotten her a pink bumper...we were just waiting for the white iPhone 4, but since the news i started looking at other options. just showed her, and now she's pretty much sold on it!

thanks for posting!

7. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Looks terrific! I also had my heart set on white; bought the black and figured I'd hand it off to my husband when the white came out. Ended up putting a DecalGirl skin on it with a predominantly white background (front and back); within a week, I no longer cared about getting the white phone.

Looks like the SGP leather skin in white is another good option for those tired of waiting!

8. dottybean macrumors newbie

Can I ask, does the bumper go OVER the edge of the leather back or do they just sit along side each other?

Thanks in advance!

9. drw macrumors member

I have the black leather skin- how difficult was the skin to put on???

10. Los macrumors regular

If aligned properly, the bumper should go around the Leather Skin Guard all the way around. The bumper will not touch the skin guard to cause any peeling, but they're also not far apart to notice that the skin guard is a sticker. It really does look like the back is made of leather.

Not that difficult at all. Just try to align it with the Apple logo, and then align it withe the camera hole. When you're done with the lay down the skin guard gently to see if it's aligned properly. If it's not, put a finger in the middle of the upper part of the skin guard to lock that portion of it down, then gently lift it up, and shift it from left to right to make the adjustment. This is the way I did and it only took me about a minute or two. The good thing about this skin guard, is that I don't have to worry about dust or fingerprints getting under the skin guard since it's not transparent like the SGP Steinhel Ultra Series. :p

11. falconeight Guest

falconeight

It just goes to the edge. And that combo looks real nice.

12. Domino8282 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Thanks so much for all of the positive comments! Just showed my wife and she's thrilled that her phone is being ogled by so many people hehe. Also please note that the pink bumper actually looks much "pinker" in person... For some reason under that light it came out looking kinda orange.

Yeah the white backing is the white leather skin from SGP:
    http://www.sgpstore.com/product_info.php/products_id/1470

The side is the official Apple pink bumper, and the front is the SGP oleophobic film (screen protector).

We just examined that close-up for you. They actually sit flush next to one another. So the bumper isn't sitting on top of the white leather, but it's sitting beside it so closely on every edge that no gap is visible whatsoever.

It actually wasn't bad at all... Much easier than the front film because you don't have to worry if a little dust is underneath it. The hardest part, as others have mentioned, is lining up the little apple logo. What my wife did, which worked really well, is to peel the backing slightly, then cut three vertical strips into the backing (obviously not into the leather). This way she was able to peel back just the middle 1/3 of the backing, line up the apple and stick that part down, and then remove the lateral thirds and stick the sides down. Your mileage may vary. :)

13. chanerz macrumors 6502a

how's the led flash? i've heard the sgp white has issues.

14. Domino8282 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Hey IrishVixen!! I just showed my wife that decalgirl.com site and she's flipping out. :) Would you mind sharing some photos of your phone? She's thinking about getting one of those decals and just using the front part.

Lol... I kind of hate you though because now every 5 seconds she's saying, "omygosh look at THIS one!!" Looking at iPad ones too... Gah there are oodles of them!

We're trying to find one that matches the look of the leather back for her phone.

15. Domino8282 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Nope I just tested it for ya and there's no flash issues at all!

16. g35 macrumors 6502a

That looks sharp, good job.

I have a question - is the leather skin a little bit soft and spongy, like you would expect a leather covered object to be, or is it the same hardness as the glass? I guess that's just a function of how thick it is.

Also when it's on but without the bumper, what are the edges of the skin like? Is it sharp and raised or such that you can't really feel the edge of the skin? Like a seamless transition from stainless band to leather skin?

Finally, does it seem like dust gets trapped in the Apple logo cutout?

I think all 3 of my questions are affected by how thick the skin is...that's what I guess I really want to know.

17. Domino8282 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

It's probably not the consistency you would associate with leather (e.g., shoe leather). It's very thin, ~1mm thick. It does have a soft texture and feels awesome rubbing your finger across it, but it's definitely not spongy, and I'd say it has about the same "give" as the glass back.

Without the bumper, there is a noticeable black border around the skin, and about a 1mm-high (maybe less) ridge from skin to glass. So it's definitely not a seamless transition from leather skin to stainless steel band. Personally, I wouldn't use it without a bumper for this reason, aesthetically speaking. But with the bumper, it's gorgeous.

I just wish there was a website where you could "model" your phone in all the various color combinations of white/black leather skin with bumpers. Programmers, GO! ;)

Edit: Missed your last question. I think dust does get trapped to a certain extent in the Apple logo, but that's not too big of a deal for my wife. It doesn't seem to be sneaking in under the skin, and the skin is thin enough that it's easy to wipe off with a microfiber cloth.

18. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

They DO do custom orders as well, so that another option. **ducks and runs** :D (yes, I am an enabler!)

This one is mine...white background, but I did go with something pretty girly. (thumbnail below, click for full image) It's pretty obnoxious, but I get compliments on it all the time. And most people who see it in person end up wanting to get their own.

[​IMG]

They do have a plain white in addition to all the patterns; search on "solid state white" to find that one. I went with the matte finish, which I also have one the Kindle and iPad. It's got a very satiny feel to it, a dull finish with just a bit of enhanced grip.

Be sure to check their Facebook page for the latest coupon code (if there is one); they run specials all the time. There's also usually one or two available with a quick Google search.

19. g35 macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reply. Makes me want to get it now.

20. hzeat macrumors member

since she couldn't get a white iP 4, my girlfriends...

w/ pink bumper, SGP white leather back, the lucky labs :apple:, and decal girl front...

Attached Files:

21. nho618 macrumors newbie

22. ludawg23 macrumors 6502

Mind is in the gutter...

All I read was "Pix: Wife's pink"

23. hzeat macrumors member

6 days in and my girlfriends is perfect. i did see a little smudge on it that i just wiped away, no problem. i did buy 2 of them just in case though.

24. acautivar5 macrumors newbie

For the apple logo decal, did you put on the decal first and then the leather skin? Or did you put the leather skin first and then the decal?

Thanks!

25. sportster macrumors 6502

Very nice, my girlfriend would like it. She just has the pink bumper on her black iPhone. wanted the white, but that didn't work out.