Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
What is a better move, going after the OP6 now and get a high spec'd 2018 device? Or get a cheap device for now (Pixel 2 XL, LG G6, or Moto G series) and get the Pixel 3 in October?

Plan 1 would be a $505 6gb RAM/64gb ROM model device or the 8gb RAM model/128gb ROM for $550.50. Risks involve OnePlus sketchiness, subpar warranty coverage, and having a less reliable brand.

Plan 2 would involve a much more substantial cost since I need a stop gap device for about 6 months. I would look to trade in a device or two towards the Pixel 3. T-Mobile may subsidize 50% of the phone, but I may also need to add a line. My stop gap device (Pixel XL or LG G6) could be traded in towards the Pixel 3 w/ a nominal trade in sum.

The G6 gets me $91. Pixel XL would get me $180. That's according to the current values. Idk if Google will boost them for the Pixel 3 or lower them substantially. My guess would be to lower them.

Plan 2 risk: Add a line might be something where I need to pay for about 3 months and they may just give bill credits since they cut down on prepaid cards now.

Here are the old Pixel 2 details: https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news-and-blogs/pixel-2-offer.htm

Thoughts? I am leaning towards Plan 1.

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
What Is your current device?

If you go for plan 1 all that will happen is you will keep it for a few months and sell it for the next “greatest” device anyway.

Either option will involve you throwing money away. It’s up to you how much you are willing to spend.

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
What Is your current device?

If you go for plan 1 all that will happen is you will keep it for a few months and sell it for the next “greatest” device anyway.

Either option will involve you throwing money away. It’s up to you how much you are willing to spend.

iPhone 8+. I absolutely hate iOS on mobile though.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Well you're pitching a budget smartphone against a premium smartphone and there can be only one winner. All 2017/2018 flagship smartphones are great. There have been no great leaps forward in the last 12 months. There is always something better around the corner. Just plump for something.

Reactions: c0ppo and MarkX

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
Well you're pitching a budget smartphone against a premium smartphone and there can be only one winner. All 2017/2018 flagship smartphones are great. There have been no great leaps forward in the last 12 months. There is always something better around the corner. Just plump for something.

Well, if I go Pixel XL to the Pixel 3, is that a good sound move? Or way too much $ being spent considering Google charges $649 for a new Pixel 2 and the prices will only go up for the next iteration?

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
@nviz22 , first let me say that what’s to follow comes from a desire to help you with you’re neverending smartphone dilemma, no malice intended...

I have never seen someone perseverate over choosing a smartphone more than you. I feel like you’ve been battling with this decision for as long as I’ve seen you on this sub forum. To say you’re overthinking this would be an understatement.

Stop micro-analyzing every particular hardware spec or OS feature. Figure out your budget, find a phone that checks off the most items on your needs list, buy that phone and just try to enjoy it. There is no perfect smartphone that meets all of your needs, especially in your budget and your continued search for it is eventually just going to drive you (or maybe us :p;)) nuts. Just get something and enjoy it for what it can do for you instead of immediately breaking down its shortcomings and possible flaws.

You are clearly a specs guy and seem to also value software updates. My $0.02, for whatever that’s worth, I’d just keep your iPhone 8 until this fall, use the next 4 months to save some extra $, and get a Pixel 3.

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
@nviz22 , first let me say that what’s to follow comes from a desire to help you with you’re neverending smartphone dilemma, no malice intended...

I have never seen someone perseverate over choosing a smartphone more than you. I feel like you’ve been battling with this decision for as long as I’ve seen you on this sub forum. To say you’re overthinking this would be an understatement.

Stop micro-analyzing every particular hardware spec or OS feature. Figure out your budget, find a phone that checks off the most items on your needs list, buy that phone and just try to enjoy it. There is no perfect smartphone that meets all of your needs, especially in your budget and your continued search for it is eventually just going to drive you (or maybe us :p;)) nuts. Just get something and enjoy it for what it can do for you instead of immediately breaking down its shortcomings and possible flaws.

You are clearly a specs guy and seem to also value software updates. My $0.02, for whatever that’s worth, I’d just keep your iPhone 8 until this fall, use the next 4 months to save some extra $, and get a Pixel 3.

What I really want is a Pixel 3. What I can afford is the OP6. I can get the Pixel XL OH refurb to use until the Pixel 3 is affordable.

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
What I really want is a Pixel 3. What I can afford is the OP6. I can get the Pixel XL OH refurb to use until the Pixel 3 is affordable.

If you want to be able to afford something you have to save for it.

Selling your iPhone 8+ and buying an older Pixel XL that will inevitably lose money to tide you over until the Pixel 3 comes out is madness. Doing so will put the Pixel 3 further out of reach.

Whilst you may not like your current phone it will sell for more when the time is right.

Reactions: jamezr and tbayrgs

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

Selling your iPhone 8+ and buying an older Pixel XL that will inevitably lose money to tide you over until the Pixel 3 comes out is madness. Doing so will put the Pixel 3 further out of reach.

Whilst you may not like your current phone it will sell for more when the time is right.

☝ THIS. Bite the bullet, keep your current phone and have some patience. You may not love the experience on the 8 but you should be able to live with it for a few months while also saving some extra cash. The previous gen Pixel option is not saving you any extra cash, will likely cost you more in the end. And ultimately, I see you going through the same buyers remorse afterwards with the OP6.

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013

Well, I need an android device to hold me over because I have had it with iOS. Other option is to just get a Moto G5 Plus or a Moto E4.

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
☝ THIS. Bite the bullet, keep your current phone and have some patience. You may not love the experience on the 8 but you should be able to live with it for a few months while also saving some extra cash. The previous gen Pixel option is not saving you any extra cash, will likely cost you more in the end. And ultimately, I see you going through the same buyers remorse afterwards with the OP6.

Can't stand iOS period. Gotta move on from it. I am really interested in the OP6 still, but have a preference for the Pixel and maybe going XL for about 6-12 months since it's a top quality software experience.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Can't stand iOS period. Gotta move on from it. I am really interested in the OP6 still, but have a preference for the Pixel and maybe going XL for about 6-12 months since it's a top quality software experience.

Alright bud...just seems like you’re making it more complicated than it needs to be. Hope it all works out in the end for you.

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
Alright bud...just seems like you’re making it more complicated than it needs to be. Hope it all works out in the end for you.

What if I revised my plan and went with a Moto G6 for about 12 months to get the Pixel 3 sometime in 2019 when it's on a good deal?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
What if I revised my plan and went with a Moto G6 for about 12 months to get the Pixel 3 sometime in 2019 when it's on a good deal?

I don’t think the Pixel 3 will ever be on a good deal. The Pixel phones don’t really decrease in price that fast.

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
I don’t think the Pixel 3 will ever be on a good deal. The Pixel phones don’t really decrease in price that fast.

I was thinking about the T-Mobile 50% subsidy deal they do yearly on the past two Pixels. However, the more I think about it, the more fearful I get about T-Mobile going with their 50% via bill credit nonsense since they will try to lock people into a 2 year agreement w/ services.

It doesn't seem right or smart for them to approach it that way, but they in the past have done add a line w/ a prepaid MasterCard to cover 50% of the entry/base Pixel or Pixel 2 model regardless of which iteration you choose.

Given what the Pixel 3 will offer, doubt the phone will have better specs than 8gb RAM, 128gb storage w/ the OP6. I guess the OP6 software is "close enough" to the pure Android too?

LukinLedbetter

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
This whole conversation lends itself to a wider discussion. When in iOS world, there’s basically one new phone per year to look forward to (or be tempted by). Meanwhile, over in the land of Android, there’s a “newest bestest fastest” coming out almost monthly all year round. Nviz is being swept up in this and it’s mostly just marketing buzzwords.

As has been discussed some in the Law Of.... thread, the actual, real-world differences from flagship to flagship is close to nil nowadays.

Phone hopping is fine and harmless if it’s a hobby you can afford. No one is getting hurt or injured in this hobby. But most people can’t afford to keep dropping hundreds every few months on the latest and greatest. And guess what: their Galaxy S8 or iPhone 7 or OnePlus 3 is still a great phone today.

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
This whole conversation lends itself to a wider discussion. When in iOS world, there’s basically one new phone per year to look forward to (or be tempted by). Meanwhile, over in the land of Android, there’s a “newest bestest fastest” coming out almost monthly all year round. Nviz is being swept up in this and it’s mostly just marketing buzzwords.

As has been discussed some in the Law Of.... thread, the actual, real-world differences from flagship to flagship is close to nil nowadays.

Phone hopping is fine and harmless if it’s a hobby you can afford. No one is getting hurt or injured in this hobby. But most people can’t afford to keep dropping hundreds every few months on the latest and greatest. And guess what: their Galaxy S8 or iPhone 7 or OnePlus 3 is still a great phone today.

I am going Pixel to Pixel 3, so disregard this topic since I made my mind. Pixel is what I want, so I’ll get it and save $ towards it.

Reactions: LukinLedbetter
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.