Pizza IS a vegetable, and if you disagree you're un-American...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by likemyorbs, Nov 16, 2011.

1. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

What a frickin disgrace. This just pisses me off. Congress is putting special interests ahead of children's health. Lets all take a wild guess which party most of the opposition to this bill is coming from.

LINK

2. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

[​IMG]

Mmm... pizza.

Ok seriously, this is stupid. It's not like there's an obesity problem or anything!

3. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I bet if they cut out pizza and potatoes from school lunches, scores of jobs will be lost.

Although I'm not sure where you get the "un-american" in the thread title. Does it say that in the article?

4. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

No, it's a joke i made because american potato farmers and pizza makers are opposing this bill.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Pizza can be fairly healthy if it's made right, and it can be a vehicle for getting a couple of good servings of vegetables into a person's diet, but I somehow doubt that very much of the pizza offered in school cafeterias is particularly nutritionally redeeming....

But the problem is, what the average person eats at the salad bar is almost worse -- a bunch of iceberg lettuce with no real nutritional value slathered with several hundred calories of bacon bits and dressing.

I agree this is stupid, but I also think banning potatoes or pizza is not going to solve the obesity problem. People can find a way to make carrots unhealthy if they want to.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Technically, there is nothing wrong with pizza at all, it's just a high calorie food. If you look at what pizza actually is, it contains every single food group- grain, dairy, meat and vegetable. It's about as complete as you can get.

Exactly.

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Has there been any studies on whether homeschooled kids have obesity problems? My guess is yes. Instead of retarded restrictions like this just put a caloric limit on portions.

The foods at school isn't what's making these kids fat though, cafeteria lunches.have stayed relatively the same for decades (aside from allowing third party vendors.

Pizza isn't evil.

8. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Use wholemeal dough, liquidise some vegetables into that pizza sauce, not too much cheese, you've got a pretty nutritious meal. Instead of changing the menu for stuff that kids won't eat, resulting in them switching to lunchboxes full of crisps, neon sweets and sugary drinks, keep the menu as it is, but make the food healthier. Less fat, less sugar, less salt, more fresh vegetables and fruit. You can get kids to eat any vegetables they hate by blending the crap out of it and hiding it on a pizza. Give the kids a decent dessert, small slice of cake or a iced bun, a small treat after a meal never hurt anyone and it acts as an incentive for them to sick with school meals. No one wants an orange for dessert.

9. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

Exactly! Worse, they feel they just ate "healthy."

Heck even many of supposedly healthy salads at chain restaurants are destroyed by the fatty dressing and topping. The chicken caesar salad at Cheesecake Factory is "only" 1,513 calories (low for that place!) much of it from saturated fat. That is accompanied by the usual 1,500 mg of sodium. But it sounds healthy!

Michael

10. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

You're clearly as old as I am (or older) if you remember the four food groups. :)

Fortunately, they were long ago dismissed as an effective way to communicate good nutrition. The implication that half of your food intake should be meat or dairy is clearly the result of meat and dairy industry lobbying, not actual nutrition advice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_USDA_nutrition_guides

11. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

Did your mom marry Mr. Rogers?

12. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Terrible idea. That would reduce the idea of nutrition to calories in. That's even more of a gross oversimplification than the four food groups.

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I dunno that gross oversimplification is such a problem. "Eat more fruits and vegetables. Eat less of everything else" would go a long way for a lot of people. (EDIT: If they actually did it, of course.)

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You have no idea how almost correct you are.

15. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Are you implying that the agribusiness lobby doesn't have the best interests of our nation's children at heart? How DARE you!?

16. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

You clearly dont know WTF you're talking about.

17. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

Sounds like a pizza industry ad. :)

Michael

18. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Did you have pizza in high school? I did. My dad did. The obesity problem is a new one and its because parents of.these kids let them.eat like slobs, fast food etc. Not school lunches.

A caloric limit on foods rather than eliminating them would work fine for the schools part, its still not going to make.these kids skinny though. Their parents probably gave them money to hit up McDonald's after school.

19. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

ZA, you just loves you some limbo talkin' points, don't ya?!?!

The obesity epidemic in the US has its roots in post WWII suburbanization. If you look at the actual numbers you'll see that from the late 60s onwards, Americans were getting fatter and fatter. My guess is that some of the weight gain from the mid 40s to the late 60s is attributable to better nutrition. However, the weight gain during that time period would have been greater had it not been for the sharp spike in smoking.

I don't know how old your Dad is but I sure never had pizza at school in the 70s.

20. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

They need to focus on putting more nutritious foods there. This means cutting out overly processed food devoid of nutrients and high in sodium.

The food would have to come from somewhere. I don't buy the jobs lost thing so much unless you're being sarcastic. Job data is really heavily manipulated. Look at how many jobs people are claiming that stupid pipeline would bring while almost none would be permanent.

Chain restaurants just spin them a certain way. Companies like that are working under a lot of constraints. They're constrained on food costs. They want a very generic customer base to think it tastes good. They'd like to spin it as healthy, but to actually achieve this they risk losing on one of these other fronts.

Yeah dairy isn't necessarily healthy and in no way should be considered a necessary food group. It's completely stupid that it's lasted that long. Another thing is that pepperoni or sausage on pizza is so full of crap that it outweighs any remote potential benefit as a source of protein.

It's made under strict budget restrictions so you end up with something high in fat and sodium, while low in fiber, in spite of the presence of grain. Dairy is also something that shouldn't necessarily be a forced option, and the processed vegetables used have lost the vast majority of their vitamin contents before it's ever consumed.

Addressing problems all over is a good thing. You're just overly simplifying the matter. I attended public school but in a well funded district. Even then seeing others eat the pizza that came from it was disgusting. It looked like a massive wad of grease. They need real standards for what can be served in a cafetaria.

21. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

The biggest problem in terms of cause of Obsesity is not food like Pizza. It is sugar drinks.

That is thinks like soft drinks. Basicly sugar water. Those need to be banned from school. But making Pizza a vegetable is sad. Almost as bad as one former GOP president who got Ketchup counted as a vegetable.

As for the soft drinks they have done studies and found we still eat roughly the same amount of calories per day in solid food as we did in 1980's. The biggest change is we now are consuming large amounts of sugar water in terms of soft drink. That gives us a lot of extra calories per day.

Remember our bodies do not think of liquid sugar as food but thinks of it as water so we do not think that we are full and it tells us we need to eat more.

22. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I started elementary school in 95 and graduated high school in 07, the foods that we used to eat were HORRIBLE. It was the equivalent of eating mcdonalds every single day, and every friday was dominos pizza day. I used to eat tater tots with cheese on top of them like it was going out of style. The lunch ladies would put a piece of fruit on our tray, and when we said "i dont want it", they would inform us that by regulation they had to put it on our tray anyway. At the end of the lunch period the garbage can would be filled with fresh fruits. It's an absolute disgrace. And it's not like they never tried to educate us about nutrition in health class, but kids will always choose the greasy/yummy option over the healthy one when they have the choice.

23. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Food isn't the problem, its kids sitting on their asses playing video games or sitting on the computer all day. Plus most of them get bussed or driven to school by their parents. Tell the little fat asses to walk to school and go outside to play.

24. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

Actually it is both: diet and exercise. Too much of the former and too little of the latter is a recipe for obesity.

Michael

25. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I think it's the ****ed up world we live in those days. It were simpler times back then.

Nowadays... parents have a lot to be paranoid about.

I mean, I read in the paper a month ago or so about this boy who begged his parents to let him walk home from school. Well, the parents finally agreed to let him walk, but meet him halfway.

That day, the parents waited at the meeting place and the boy never showed.

The poor guy was found in a refrigerator hacked to pieces.