Places to have your monitor/printer color calibrated?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by trjwv, Dec 9, 2010.

1. trjwv macrumors regular

Does anyone know if monitor and printer color calibration is offered anywhere?
    Example geek squad at best buy or other. Where one can take computer, notebook and printer and they will color calibrate and set up color profiles for all. Or is the only way is to buy calibrator yourself, if buy yoouself then what is best for calibrating and creating color profiles for imac, mbp and epson printer?

2. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

I also believe that some of the photo gear rental sites rent colorimeters too.

3. mtbdudex, Dec 9, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2010

mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

I understand where you are coming from, I've read lots of reviews and lots of the PRO's are pointing to the colormunki as their preferred device....however that's a lot of coin, like $450 USD.

After long internal debate, I really considered the colormunki, I just bought a Spyder 3 elite from B&H.
    http://spyder.datacolor.com/product-mc-s3elite.php
    Actually it just got delivered today and I'm calibrating my iMac right now, while typing this on my work Dell D620 laptop.

Over this weekend I'll use it to calibrate my basement HT projector, Sony VW60 (Black Pearl).
    I don't have enough experience to say yea or nay on the Spyder 3 elite, but I'll give feedback as I get into using it.

I'm NOT a pro, don't make a living taking photos, this is "just" an hobby/passion, so had to balance the $$ vs value.

I can easily see a pro justifying the little difference of $180 to $450, but avg joe like me.....

4. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

The Spyder3 is an excellent device, you'll have no regrets. The main difference with the ColorMunki is that it will also profile printers as well as screens, hence the cost difference.