placing photoshop on external monitor

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by njmitchel0, Jun 3, 2008.

1. njmitchel0 macrumors member

i just got a 22 inch external monitor and im trying to use photoshop on it, my problem is that i cant move the window around because its "embedded" on the small macbook screen where the top bar and dock is. Is there anyway to "unembed" the photoshop window and move it over to the external monitor so i can view just the photoshop application on it.

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

The menubar is always going to appear on the same screen. You can't have the menubar on one screen for some apps and another screen for other apps. But you could specify for your menubar to appear on the external screen when it's attached (use the "displays" system preferences panel). You might be able to achieve what you want using spaces -- I'm not sure, since I'm not a spaces user.

3. njmitchel0 thread starter macrumors member

yea having the menu bar on the external display would be great...how exactly do i do this? Under the display preferences, the arrangement is my external monitor is on top of the macbook viewing area. what id like to achieve is the menu bar on the external monitor with the dock on the macbook screen. is this possible?...also will spaces work if this cant be done...ive yet to use spaces since i purchased the computer

4. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

Spaces won't do it for you, but the solution is easy. Go to 'Display Preferences' and where you can drag the monitors to adjust the arrangement, you can also drag the white bar (that symbolizes the Menu Bar) from one monitor to the other. Drag it to you External and that will become your Main Display, with the laptop monitor being secondary. And don't worry, when you unplug your external the default will adjust back to the laptop.

5. njmitchel0 thread starter macrumors member

6. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Are we talking about moving the Tool Bar over to the 22 inch screen? Or is all of photoshop staying over on the MacBook screen? Which version of photoshop are you using?

7. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

You're just trying to use your external monitor as the main monitor? If you don't care about the monitor on the laptop I'd just enable video mirroring in the display system preferences panel (or at least make the external monitor the primary monitor by dragging the menu from one square to the other in the picture in the display system preferences panel).

8. kayut macrumors member

Hi,

If the top bar is moved to the second monitor the Dock and all icons of the desktop are moved also to the second monitor.

Is there any way to move only the top bar to the second monitor and keep everything else on the first monitor??

Maybe an extra app can do that?

Thanks

9. kayut macrumors member

10. blushingbunny, Oct 10, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2011