Plan on doing quite a bit of traveling...[need at least data]

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by petrucci666, Jan 12, 2011.

1. petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

I just bought the iPhone 4 a few days ago and I love it! It's the best phone there ever is and was.

But my concern isn't with the iPhone itself but rather how I'll be able to use it abroad. If I'm planning on traveling quite extensively over the next few months, I'll be roaming A LOT! But again, I'd like to keep in touch with family at least via email or IM (hopefully Skype over WiFi etc.).

How will go about getting a global data plan? I know AT&T offers some minimal package for an insane amount of money, but is there something that isn't so widespread that somebody would know of?

I'm not AT&T (I live in Croatia), so the AT&T thing wouldn't work for me and the international packages the local carriers offer are so pricey that I won't even consider them.

Any suggestion is appreciated. Thanks!

2. OlgaJ macrumors 6502

If they don't lock the iphone to your provider in your country, then your best bet would be to get local sims at the various countries you go to. Otherwise learn how to lock out data and get yourself an inexpensive global texting plan. When you have wifi available, then you can use your phone for data.

3. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Since you likely have the newest OS, you won't be able to jb and software unlock your iphone--unless you have a factory unlocked phone as mentioned by the poster above.
    If you can't use local SIMS, you can still use your phone as an ipod touch. Depending on where you're going, you might be able to find plentiful wifi.