Planned Parenthood Director Leaves, Has Change of Heart

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by The Californian, Nov 4, 2009.

1. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Planned Parenthood has been a part of Abby Johnson's life for the past eight years; that is until last month, when Abby resigned. Johnson said she realized she wanted to leave, after watching an ultrasound of an abortion procedure.

Read more here.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

This is what she said. However, there is another side to the story:

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

4. The Californian thread starter macrumors 68040

The Californian

Hmmmm ... I hadn't heard about that. I wonder if this is a PR smear campaign on her part due to the fact that she is supposedly disgruntled.

Obviously you cared enough to click the link, read the post, click the "reply" button, and type your oh so well thought out response. Why waste our time ( by our I am including you ) for such a meaningless post that contributes nothing to the thread?

5. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

My point was, whats your point? Even if one person did have a change of heart does that automatically make abortion some evil practice? If I decide tomorrow that Obama is the greatest president in the world does that actually say anything?

7. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

It might say something about the education level in your country :p

…I put the smiley because we already know how low it is.

8. The Californian thread starter macrumors 68040

The Californian

Nope, but she was a director at Planned Parenthood. If Barack Obama resigned from his presidency one day citing he had a change of heart on democracy that would say something ... Wouldn't it?

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

So if Obama resigned tomorrow stating he had a change in heart you would suddenly believe democracy was evil? :confused: People are allowed to change their opinions, if she thinks abortion is bad then that is fine, its not going to persuade me to believe it is. If Obama steps down tomorrow stating he is going to be a communist instead it doesn't make me want to be a communist.

10. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

So, wait. This argument is still legitimate? I thought scientists had now already proven that life begins at conception some time ago? If that's true isn't casual abortion murder? Y'all don't think murder is evil?

I'm confused. :confused:

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

You are going to have to cite some study to show that life began at conception. I have a hard time believing that a cluster of cells dividing constitutes life right off the bat.

12. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

I agree. Abortion is never a decision made lightly by anyone. Saying that it's just "casual murder" implies this. :(

13. The Californian thread starter macrumors 68040

The Californian

Did I ever say that this should move people to believing that abortion is evil? It's nothing but interesting news.

Oh it is made lightly by some, I know people that the title "casual murder" would be applicable.

14. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I believe you meant "scientists" not scientists.

15. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Umm, well maybe I got it wrong - I don't really follow the abortion issue too closely. I understand it for medical emergencies.

So "Life Begins At Conception" let's see:

And "Life does NOT begin at conception":
    Whoops, out of the first 30 results I see nothing credible.

There are only 600 total hits and none of them look scientific (from the 1st 200). In fact the majority of them read like: If life does not begin at conception then we have no idea when it does. :eek:

So thinking that it doesn't is only wishful thinking it seems - maybe to protect those friends and family members who killed their babies. That sounds terrible but I don't know what else it could be. I have 4 children and I can tell you that I knew each time (within a few hours or so after the orgasm) that conception (fertilization) occurred. I never guessed I had fertilized and got it wrong. Maybe just coincidence? BTW, I we had a lot of sex too! It's not like we copulated only 4 or 5 times or something. I guess between 600 and 1,000 times during the 25 years we were married before my wife passed on.

So from here I guess I reiterate my original question:

This argument is still legitimate? I thought scientists had now already proven that life begins at conception some time ago? If that's true isn't casual abortion murder? Y'all don't think murder is evil?

I'm confused. :confused:

16. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Considering that it mostly affects minorities, was pushed by a minority hating person, nah, I can't see anything wrong with it.

I guess its okay to kill them before their born, they can't sue, we never see their faces, and its big big money. Just think of all the money we save, and lives, if one of these little things actually made it daylight and lived it would commit heinous crimes for which we could not end their life.

I know, lets test all the little buggers and determine if they are predisposed to violence through their genes and pump them out! That will fix everything. We can also get rid of those who would have been born to undesirable groups too!!!

Go read up on Planned Parenthood's founders. Have fun.

17. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

They don't have faces if the abortion is performed in a reasonable time.

18. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I've always wondered whether "Planned Parenthood" was a misnomer - shouldn't they be called "Unplanned Parenthood" instead?

19. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I think they give condoms/bc out too though.

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

21. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

And that would be within the first week. After that they do.

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Umm...you're going to have to prove that. It would do you well to research before you post.

23. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Your eyes don't even start to form until week 6, in the first 3 weeks you are still a clump of cells.

24. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Perhaps you need to expand your reading material.
    For example, Carl Sagan wrote about abortion.
    http://www.deeppencil.com/carl-sagan-the-science-of-life/

Whether the former director changed her mind for personal or monetary reasons, she is well within her right to do so.

BTW, I call myself Green because the Reds were no different than the Republicans or Democrats in their decision making process. Perhaps you need to do some more reading or find better educated people to quote.​

25. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

No, it's week 1. Just like I said. :rolleyes:

The face begins to form rapidly after day 5. You can even see eyes and the start of a head by day 5. You have to turn it just right and the rest of the body isn't really there yet but the face kinda is.

[​IMG]
    5 days post conception.

By week 6 or 7 it looks like a complete baby to me:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Week 6 and 8.