Planning on buying a 15 " MBP for Masters in the U.S?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by princehektor, Jul 6, 2011.

1. princehektor macrumors newbie

Hi!

I'm planning on buying an MBP for use during my Masters in the U.S. Here are the things that I think I'll be doing with it.

1)C/Java/Python/Linux programming- This will be the bulk of my work during my graduate tenure and this is the primary and most important reason for buying a new laptop. So i suppose i'll need to install Ubuntu/Fedora using VM Ware or BootCamp.

2) Movies/Games- I'm planning to take my WD Passport 640 GB filled with Movies and Games. I am aware that gaming on a MAC wont be fun and that i may not find that much time for "entertainment", but still planning on giving it a shot whenever possible.

3) Music- I don't have a huge ITunes library or something, but nevertheless, i do have a small but reasonable collection(<5 GB) of my Indian music.

4) Live TV Streaming- Plan to utilize the high-speed on-campus internet to watch Live Sports and TV Shows through streaming(could someone suggest any links for this?)

5) Photos- I'll be taking my DSLR along and clicking away on anything that seems nice :)

I've zeroed in on the 2.2 G Hz 15" MBP as the one to get. With all my requirements, will it be a good option to get an SSD(256 GB) instead of the slow SATA's?? (I have my 640 GB portable hard disk for any extra space and backup). I'll be buying from the Computer Store at my university , so i am entitled for a 330$ discount which involves the 3 year Apple Care Protection plan?

Considering all this and also that i may not buy my next laptop for another 3-4 years , is my choice the best one? Or should i go for the MBA or the 13" MBP?

Thanks in advance !! :)

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Any current Mac will more than suit your needs. The things you need to decide on are budget, screen size, and weight.

3. benjaminaho macrumors member

benjaminaho

I think that a 15" MBP sounds like a great choice! The only other Mac I would consider getting is the 13" MBP, only because it has slightly more battery life, and it is a bit more portable. It sounds like you also need speed, so I think depending on your budget, I would go for either one of those. The only reason I would not get a MB Air is because of lack of speed, storage, and battery life (compared to any of the MBPs.)

4. scarboni21 macrumors regular

Totally off topic

When I first read the title I read it as Buying 15" for The Masters in the US. I was like why would you need a computer for a golf tournament and I'm sure Augusta National wouldn't let you bring it in.

I hope somebody gets a laugh at my stupidity ;)

5. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I thought the exact same lol.