Planning on Pre Ordering w/ AT&T Next Week but...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AriaAmante, Sep 6, 2012.

1. AriaAmante macrumors member

Not sure how to go about it with my AT&T account. I'm waaay due for an upgrade (I only have the 4), but what I would LIKE to do is open a new AT&T account, port my number (I'm currently on a family plan), and pre order the new iPhone all at the same time.

Does anyone know if this will actually work, or am I going to have to wait in line on the 21st to get it done? Has anyone done this with a pre order? I've never pre ordered an iPhone before. I asked at my AT&T store and they were less than helpful.

2. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Stay on the family plan for now, and pre-order the phone as per usual. Then, after you have the phone, AT&T can split you off onto your own account.

I'd keep the status quo for now so you don't monkey up your pre-order.

3. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

Have whoever currently "owns" your phone transfer billing responsibility to you. I just did transfers recently. They just put in your first and last name and an email address. You get an email with a link and you add it to an account or open a new account. it was very easy. Do it now or after the preorder comes in. I wouldn't bother trying to do it all at the same time.

4. iproductsuser macrumors 6502a

If the phone is to be shipped to an address that is not the billing address of the AT&T bill, will that be an issue if pre ordering through apple.com?

5. AriaAmante thread starter macrumors member

We all live in the same city, so actually getting it won't be an issue, but signing for it might. When I preordered my iPad I just had it shipped to me at work.

I totally forgot it has to be shipped to the billing address :/