Planning to buy 5S at Walmart?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 628, Sep 12, 2013.

1. 628 macrumors regular

Anyone planning to purchase their 5S from Walmart?

I had planned to wait in line to get the iPhone 5S on the first day but have changed my mind when I remembered that Walmart.com does not charge tax in California and that Walmart may only charge tax on the price of the phone not the non-contract one..

So if I wait a few days, I can get my phone for $215 instead of the $265 I would have to pay in California..

I also have the best buy upgrade your phone for a $50 giftcard offer so I think I will wait. Hopefully they will have stock.

To those who have gotten their iPhone from walmart in the past, how was the experience?

2. VTECaddict, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013

VTECaddict macrumors 6502

I've gotten other phones from Walmart, but not iPhones. My friend has gotten an iPhone from there.

It's fine. You buy the phone. Just don't expect any level of customer service or knowledge about the product. Actually, expect incompetent employees that don't really know what they're doing. But if you know what you're getting and don't have questions, it will definitely save you a few bucks.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Walmart will save you at most $10... although, it is the place where you'd least expect any sort of line.

4. Poly macrumors 6502

Who knows if walmart even gets ANY iphones on the 20th? Same with Bestbuy and so on...

5. 628 thread starter macrumors regular

Seems walmart has announced the 5c and 5s! $189 for the 5S

5C at $79

6. Ivabign macrumors 6502

Ivabign

I'm wondering if the 24 hour WalMarts will have stock at midnight on the 20th.

7. carelesswhisper macrumors member

This is exactly what I've been trying to find out. Someone I spoke to said they weren't sure if the phone would be available at midnight. Frustrating how everyone seems to know nothing. But if they do get it at midnight, I'll get my 5S from there.

8. its93rc macrumors 6502

its93rc

I wouldn't even bother with Wal-Mart. They usually get a few iPhones, and their employees are incompetent when it comes to selling phones/activating/etc. It's not my intention to offend any Wal-Mart employees + Macrumors readers, but it's generally true. I've always had a bad experience with Target as well when it comes to Apple devices. I'm just trying to save you from a headache, haha.

9. Apple Trees macrumors 6502

You're exactly right. They usually don't know what they're doing and the stock is extremely limited. I think Walmart carries iPhones and gives them discounts mostly as a sales tactic to get more people into the stores to buy other things.

10. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

11. Iphoneness macrumors 6502

Iphoneness

They might have stock, but most Walmarts have only one person that can perform new phone activations. And that one person only works normla business hours, so you wouldn't be getting your new phone until 800 hours at the earliest.
    I'm also thinking about getting my 5S from my local Walmart due to the shorter lines AND being able to line up indoors, inside the store.

12. Ajones330 macrumors 6502a

Ajones330

Going to Walmart is always risky, I've seen people's plans get messed up there. Good luck if you choose that route...

13. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Back boobs. Yummy.

14. James717 macrumors regular

They sell apple stuff at Walmart???
    :eek::eek:
    I haven't been to one in a decade since I work in the Middle East and Asia, but that's a very surprising news.

Do they also sell Ralph Lauren polos, Gucci watches, or Rimowa suitcases?

They sell Apple Computers at Walmart?? Wow.:eek:

15. aapplephone macrumors member

lol

16. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

17. James717 macrumors regular

I am still in shock that they sell Apple products at Walmart.

Totally shocked

18. 628 thread starter macrumors regular

Was going to post about this, but i've asked several 24 hour walmarts and they have said there is nobody working that late at the wireless section.. Also they won't get stock until after 8-9am according to someone I talked to today. Some stores might not even get stock... They aren't sure.

I was hesitant at getting it at walmart because i am afraid I might lose my unlimited data plan....

19. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I got both my iPads, my iPhone 4S and my dad's iPhone 5 at Target. The only "bad" thing about Target for iPhones is you have to find the certain ones with the Target Mobile stores. The two I've gotten a phone from are nearby, but not the Target stores I normally hit.

Key benefit of Target is getting the 5 percent off, which was really huge for the iPad 2 64GB, and both iPad launch days standing behind like two people. Right now I have an extra 5 percent off, so I'm REALLY hoping I can find a 64GB silver AT&T within the first two weeks. $30 off is basically enough to buy an extra couple of Lightning cables from Monoprice.

Thinking of that, I should really go ahead and do that now instead of waiting.

20. Ann P macrumors 68020

Can you upgrade and get a new T-Mobile phone (I'm a current customer) at Wal-Mart? Or is it for new customers only? I'm such a newbie when it comes to this...

21. CEmajr macrumors 601

For Tmobile you have to go to a Tmobile store unless you plan to pay full retail upfront for your phone.

22. zipster macrumors 6502

23. 628 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, you can get the iPhone 5Same at walmart with an ATT upgrade.

24. zipster macrumors 6502

Thanks! I have the iPhone 4, so the 5Super will be a fantastic upgrade for me! :)