Planning to order an iPad Mini LTE, which US Carrier is better for Global use?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Preds, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Preds macrumors member

Domestically I like Verizon's plans and coverage better, but I'm concerned about global use (Europe/Caribbean/etc).

If I want to be able to travel and and use other carriers sims am I better off with AT&T?

Also, has there been any info regarding a GPS chip being in the WIFI version, or will I only get that with a cellular?

2. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

I maybe be wrong on this, but I believe domestic iPad's can only be used on the carrier it is assigned. Because, I mean.. there's no 2 year agreement so they don't "lock" the device. But if I am wrong, the GSM version would probably be more useable outside of the US. Inside the US though, the Verizon iPad is definitely superior.

3. Ntran macrumors member

Yes you were wrong. The Verizon version has much better use outside of the US than the ATT one as in addition to CDMA, it covers all the GSM band. Also from my understanding, the most popular LTE bands used outside of the US are LTE 1, 3, 5, 13, 25 - of course it could vary from country to country. LTE bands 4 and 7 are mostly used in North America (US and Canada).

Also GPS is not included in the Wifi only version - you can EASILY find this information from Apple website

# Model A1454* (ATT)

* GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
    * UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz)
    * LTE (Bands 4 and 17)

# Model A1455* (Verizon)

* CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1900, 2100 MHz)
    * GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
    * UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz)
    * LTE (Bands 1, 3, 5, 13, 25)

4. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

Ah, but can you just for example, take that Verizon iPad to England and throw like a Vodaphone SIM in it? If it isn't usable on other carriers than supporting their band's is useless.

5. Ntran macrumors member

He was asking about global use, not UK specifically. No device could operate in every single carrier around the world. Did you read and think before you post? Do a little research and you will find out how many carriers outside of the US actually use the LTE bands 4 and 17 vs LTE 1, 3, 5, 15, 25. Do you know which LTE bands were used in the IPhone 5 INTERNATIONAL version? DO YOUR RESEARCH!

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

They're all unlocked, so you'll be fine with any of them if you're planning to buy a local SIM for the country you will be staying in.

If you plan on roaming through a US carrier, you should see how their international plans compare.

I would not suggest the latter. It's way more expensive.

Whoa ... calm down.

7. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

Do I read and think before I post? I could ask you the same question. Notice I said "for example" before speaking of Vodaphone. Meaning that wasn't the only carrier/country I was referring to.

8. Smiletime macrumors newbie

Geeez, the person was just asking a question. Don't get your granny panties in a twist!