Plastic Homes in Huricane areas?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rasmasyean, Sep 15, 2008.

1. rasmasyean macrumors 6502a

Check this out. I found this in a search and they said they can build them in 10 days.
    http://www.truveo.com/Plastic-homes-in-Venezuela/id/1890529785

Are these practical for hurricane/flood areas like I mean, they don't exactly suffer "water damage" and I'm sure the joins can be fused to make them stronger rather than nailed like wood frames. :)

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

3. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Seems to me they're taking advantage of the fact that Venezuela has abundant petroleum reserves. While they're better than the shacks the poor in Venezuela used to live in, it's not clear to me that they're any better than a FEMA trailer. It's also unclear whether they'd be less expensive or more durable than traditional construction in a country that imports most of its oil.

4. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

10 days?? shoot, ever watched extreme makeover home edition, they can build a 5000sq/ft home in a week:D

5. rasmasyean thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think the "petroleum reserves" thing might be just for media consumption. In real economic analysis they would compare the home sale to the market price of the oil. But it could also be some political statement despite it's expense.

I wouldn't imagine that people in like Texas would live those particular houses, but maybe if they can use that as material for wood substitutes. I've seen on TV that a company made these "assemble a dwelling" type of house from a plastic kit. Maybe this was part of the inspiration to the Venezuela.