Play Depicting Gay Jesus Causes Controversy in Texas

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
das Fort
This is from Friday morning:

The president of Tarleton State University said he thinks a play about a gay Christ figure, which a student is presenting this weekend on campus, is "offensive, crude, and irreverent."

"Like every citizen of the country, the student who chose to direct excerpts from the play enjoys his right to free speech," wrote President F. Dominic Dottavio in a letter published today on the Tarleton State University Web site.

"This right is protected by law even if the speech is offensive to others."

He emphasized, however, that the university did not endorse the decision by student John Otte, 26, to present Corpus Christi as an assignment for an advanced directing class.
This is from Friday evening:

Tarleton State University has canceled Saturday's performance of 'Corpus Christi'.

The controversial student-directed play portrays Jesus as a homosexual and there had been a public outcry.

The class professor called the play, citing safety and security concerns for the students, along with the need to maintain an orderly academic environment.

Student director John Jordan Otte defended the play, saying he is gay and a Christian.

He says he hoped to help other gay students who may be struggling with their faith.

ucfgrad93

macrumors P6
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Personally, I'm glad that this was shut down. There is no way they would make this about a gay Muhammad, etc.

Sydde

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
I have heard there was a gospel that outed Jesus as homosexual — for some reason it was not included in compliation of the bible. I guess the truth must hurt.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Personally, I'm glad that this was shut down. There is no way they would make this about a gay Muhammad, etc.
Muhammad was married so it kinda makes less sense. Also the Islamic world is in general fairly anti-gay. It doesn't mean you shouldn't hold yourself to a higher standard.

jecapaga

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2007
Southern California
Of course a gay Muhammad is possible. What about a gay Jesus from TJ, Mexico who is chosen but is straight, rocks the cross dresser fashion, is Jewish in faith but totally loved the movie Inglorious Basterds? Maybe Muhammad is a side gay relationship? Imagine how funny it could be. It's a freaking play where in creativity I can create whatever I want.

Of course you won't get any of this.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Of course a gay Muhammad is possible. What about a gay Jesus from TJ, Mexico who is chosen but is straight, rocks the cross dresser fashion, is Jewish in faith but totally loved the movie Inglorious Basterds? Maybe Muhammad is a side gay relationship? Imagine how funny it could be. It's a freaking play where in creativity I can create whatever I want.

Of course you won't get any of this.
Well quite, it kinda makes my point above look silly :eek:.

MrCheeto

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2008
Would they protest a gay easter bunny too? And what about black santa? Some people need to get a life.

Disc Golfer

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
The thing about texas is that texas don't like the gays. It has nothing to do with jesus and all to do with rednecks being stupid.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
They depicted a person who never existed as gay. :rolleyes:
I don't think there is a doubt Jesus lived these is plenty of evidence of that. but what happened in his life is a whole other ballgame.
but it may have been gay more of a chance he was gay then he was a white guy.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
It was on Engadget. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_Gospel_of_Mark

There were various parts of the Bible that got edited during the first millennia or even later than that.

There was a musical piece, called 'Jerry Springer - The Opera'. It was poorly written and it was total garbage. The only thing that made it a success was general swearing and impersonating Jesus as a nappy-wearing gay black man.

Without this pointless and shallow controversy, the piece would have been judged on its own merit and it would have been considered a complete flop.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
This reminds me of when people first started portraying Jesus as dark-skinned (which is far more likely than him being white). Oh, the hysteria!

Hey Texas, go ahead and secede. You don't believe in freedom.

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
I don't think there is a doubt Jesus lived these is plenty of evidence of that.
There is NO contemporary account of Jesus. There is no first or even secondhand evidence at all. No contemporary references in Roman archives or by Roman historians. No archaeological evidence. To which "evidence" were you referring? :confused:

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
The only possible purpose for this play was to inflame.
Why do you say that? The director is gay and Christian too: is his only purpose to inflame? Would depicting Jesus as a woman be inflammatory? Would depicting Jesus as a black in an African country be inflammatory?

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
das Fort
The thing about texas is that texas don't like the gays. It has nothing to do with jesus and all to do with rednecks being stupid.
Hey Texas, go ahead and secede. You don't believe in freedom.
Stereotype much?

Texas has 25 million people (not including the millions of illegal aliens living here). Houston (the 4th largest city in the nation) has a gay mayor and is one of the more diverse cities in the country. Austin is one of the more liberal cities in the country. The Democrats swept the 2008 elections in Dallas.

Disc Golfer

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
Stereotype much?

Texas has 25 million people (not including the millions of illegal aliens living here). Houston (the 4th largest city in the nation) has a gay mayor and is one of the more diverse cities in the country. Austin is one of the more liberal cities in the country. The Democrats swept the 2008 elections in Dallas.
I spent twenty years in texas, and in that time I was called a "****ing f*g" by a wide cross section of texans for exhibiting such characteristics as: shoulder length hair, driving a two door car, owning cats, owning curtains, recycling, using a kitchen to cook food, and talking to a person of the same gender. I stand by my statement that texas is not only anti gay, but shockingly ignorant as well. I was basically chased out of texas for being gay, and I'm not gay.
One can't help but laugh. :)
It would be funny if it weren't for all the hatred.
Another funny thing is that a lot of my friends are expatriated texans.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
I don't think there is a doubt Jesus lived these is plenty of evidence of that. but what happened in his life is a whole other ballgame.
but it may have been gay more of a chance he was gay then he was a white guy.
If he did exist, there's much more of a chance he was gay than he was the son of god. ;)