HomePod Play from Single HomePod that’s Stereo Paired

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by Nickash28, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Nickash28 macrumors member

hey,

I have two HomePods. I want them stereo paired for using with Apple TV. Question is, can you play from a single HomePod once the pairing is made? I was hoping I could pair them, but still say, “play music in just the kitchen” and the pair would be of kitchen + living room, but the pairing requires being in the same “room”. I’ve tried naming the HomePods different and saying that but no luck separating.

Anyone able to do this?

Thanks!

2. lawhochun macrumors member

I dont think this can be done. Once they are paired, they live as one and can only be selected singluarly.

3. Phil77354 macrumors regular

Phil77354

I have four HomePods, two of which are now stereo paired since the latest software update.

I can't speak to how they might be used with Apple TV but suspect that the other response is correct and they can no longer be directed individually from the Apple TV. That seems to be the case as well if you are controlling the music from an iPhone or iPad.

However, for those who are playing music using iTunes, either from their own music library or from Apple Music, it is possible to select the two speakers individually. I have done that myself after some experimentation, and while it is not obvious how that can be done, it is straightforward once you know the steps to take.

4. Nickash28 thread starter macrumors member

Agree guys. Looks like I’ll have to add a 3rd and not stereo pair.