play remote audio from other mac...

fisherking

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
thought i'd find more about this while googling... and tried teamviewer, which doesn't seem to do the trick. i want to listen to audio from a collaborator's mac; we connect thru teamviewer, but i can't get that audio to work. we're talking (mostly) quicktime playback...

does anyone do this? have any ideas? thought it would be simple (ha!); and teamviewer, while seeming to offer the possibility in it's preferences... does not work.

Howard2k

macrumors 68030
Mar 10, 2016
I have no idea what teamviewer is, but have you thought about using a file share?
You could also use a shared OneNote page perhaps and drop the audio file onto there?
Might be overkill, but use a NAS?

I'm sure there are a million ways of skinning the cat, but it's just a question of finding the right one.

Howard2k

macrumors 68030
Mar 10, 2016
Please can you explain a little more about what you're doing exactly. Not sure I have the answer but someone else might, and this piece about streaming live might be important.

fisherking

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
the person on the other mac (i can see her desktop, and work with the mouse & keyboard while we both watch), needs to be able to open an audio file (generally, in quicktime); when she plays it, i need to hear it on my mac.

teamviewer offers this functionality, but may be blocked by apple (am not entirely sure); i'm on mojave, she's on high sierra.

hope that makes sense!

Howard2k

macrumors 68030
Mar 10, 2016
the person on the other mac (i can see her desktop, and work with the mouse & keyboard while we both watch), needs to be able to open an audio file (generally, in quicktime); when she plays it, i need to hear it on my mac.

teamviewer offers this functionality, but may be blocked by apple (am not entirely sure); i'm on mojave, she's on high sierra.

hope that makes sense!
Much clearer. Are you on the same LAN? Or VPN? Or open Internet?

Have you checked out Amoeba Software?

fisherking

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
we're in different cities. teamviewer works like apple's screen sharing; my collabs and i all use the app regularly. it offers audio, but doesn't actually work (googling brings up lots of anecdotal evidence that it does work, and doesn't work). ugh.

meanwhile, anyone else have ideas? am surely not the first person who is trying to do this! thanx howard2k, btw...

EDIT: amoeba doesn't support this. someone must...