playback issues of DVDs made in iDVD (08) & how is iDVD vs. Toast?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by marekk, Jan 17, 2009.

1. marekk macrumors newbie

Hi - is there anybody who used iDVD and Toast and can say what results have/had using iDVD and Toast?
    I never used Toast but always iDVD, and pretty much every time I run into trouble playing burnt DVD - they skip, or freeze, stutter, etc. I tried all kinds of blank media, thinking that that could be a problem; I started to buy Verbatim with an extra protective layer; I burnt (in iDVD) the discs at 1x speed.... and - still no much of the difference - even if they play once or twice without interruption - the discs will pause, skip, or freeze, or stutter eventually... (on many different DVD-players, using different media)
    WHAT TO DO, so the burnt DVDs will play smoothly? :confused:
    Is the TOAST 9 or 10 any better at this point (than iDVD)??? Is there anybody who would have the experiences with both: iDVD and Toast, and can say which one is better? (or, perhaps, both are not too good..? and only $1000+ Final Cut Studio is the answer..? but - is it? Maybe the non-freezing, skipping, etc. DVDs are possible only when done for Hollywood?).
    This is very annoying - not being able to play back whatever consumes so much time, and constructive/creative energy; seems to be boxed in inside the computer... not good.:(
    Thanks if anybody can point me to some solution.:cool:

Marek

2. marekk thread starter macrumors newbie

somebody must be knowing something on that - you are burning DVDs, right?

3. marekk thread starter macrumors newbie

4. bpd115 macrumors 6502a

bpd115

Never had a problem with anything I've burned in iDVD and that is on different Macs ranging from a 1 Ghz G4 to my Mac Pro 2.66 Quad.

You sure it's not your DVD player?

5. marekk thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you; Well, good for you - serious - but I always had a problem, on MacBookPro and on Mac Pro, so I do not think that it is both super-drives, and then - on a playback side - it happens on different DVDplayers....so I'm looking for a solution of something stable, and I started thinking about Toast... but little afraid that iyt might be similar source of problems...
    And coming back to iDVD - when I burn 1hr or less - I'm using "Best Performance", and when over 1hr - "Professional Quality" (so the "Best Quality" virtually never...), and this is a recommended way to achieve the best quality, right..?

6. valsaned macrumors newbie

I'm also relatively new to video.

I was editing a family video 60 min with imovie HD form my everio hd7 camera.

I tried every possible settings to burn a dvd with IDVD 08
    1.-Sharing from imovie
    2.-Exporting to quicktime full quality then importing to idvd
    3.-Importing the imovie proyect to idvd directly
    4.- Exporting with custom settings (compression png, milliion colors+). Very time consuming, huge disk space and frequent errors

I tried in idvd best performance, professional quality set idv to burn at 1x speed in the 3 alternatives The results from idvd where very bad in the final dvd, except from the custom settings.

I bought TOAST 10 PRO and burned the dvd importing the mov file I exported form imovie hd (quicktime FULL quality). The results where very good (I even tried custom settings with the bit rate etc).

The problem is that the themes and editing capabilities of TOAST are limited compared with IDVD
    I think is an issue with IDVD 08, there are lots of posts regarding this issue in a couple of forums.

I dont know if this helps and sorry for my english. I dont usually post in the forums, even though im extensive user to find answers. I spend so much time with this family video that i wanted to share this time!