Played with iPad at Best Buy, kinda disappointed and decided not to buy

Discussion in 'iPad' started by c.s., Apr 5, 2010.

1. c.s. macrumors regular

c.s.

I'll preface by saying the main reason I wanted one was for reading (books, mags, websites). I was disappointed with how heavy it is -- can't see myself reading in bed, or holding in one hand like a paperback or magazine. I'll admit that viewing websites on it is amazing, unlike anything else. I guess I'm still on the fence. Anyone want to talk me into it, after reading on it for a few days?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Why would anyone need to talk you into it? If you don't want to buy then don't. It'll be ok.

3. heresmike macrumors newbie

Me too but...

I too tried the ipad at Best Buy before mine arrived on Saturday. Standing there with the ipad strapped to the counter, I wasn't overly impressed. But when the ipad arrived and you personalize it with your own movies, books, music and apps it just grows on you. Lying in bed, on the couch, in a chair, it just is a dream to use.

4. WilliamG macrumors 604

For reading, I wouldn't talk to you into it. No way. Kindle 2 e-ink all the way.

5. samcraig macrumors P6

Obviously the OP is easily pressured and succumbs to peer pressure, Jessica. Surely you could have fun with that!

6. chriskzoo macrumors 6502

To each his own. As far as the weight, it was also a bit heavier than I was expecting and holding it without the case is a bit of a chose with one hand. However, when I put on the official cover and have it opened with the cover in the slot on the back, it gives you a good 2-inch or so spine to hold on to in portrait mode and it makes it a LOT more manageable and doesn't seem as heavy.

7. shadrap macrumors 6502

You are not going to be sitting there holding the full thing constantly with one hand. It will always partially rest on your body. The weight is not an issue.

8. SteveSparks macrumors 6502a

SteveSparks

Works great. I'm sitting on the "throne" right now replying to you.

9. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

I bought a book (from Amazon) and started reading. It has been very good.
    The weight is not an issue because I don't hold it up. I read in bed for about two hours. When on my back, the iPad rested vertically on me. I would keep my hand on it just to keep it from tipping over. And you occasionally whack it with my thumb to chage pages. On my side, I actually just leaned it on the side of my wife's pillow.

The screen is bright and beautiful for reading.

10. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I had the complete opposite experience - I went to Best Buy and I wanted one right there. I held back that day but I'm going to an Apple store today to get one.

11. bludodge macrumors 6502

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

Too heavy? So is a book.

In any event I just have it my lap, legs or propped against my legs (if I'm laying down). Haven't had to hold in my hands yet.

13. mbell75 macrumors 6502

I use it in bed just fine. It weights 1.5 pounds, are you a male or female? I would sure hope a man is not complaining about holding something that weighs 1.5 pounds or you may want to hit the gym :)

14. mac jones macrumors 68040

I have a Kindle DX and a regular Kindle. Love them to death.

The regular Kindle is great because you can hold it in one hand and read. it's very light.

The DX is much heavier. It's like a hard cover text book.

No one holds a large hardcover in one hand this way.

The best way ive' found to read the DX comfortably (of course there's plenty of ways to read hardcovers. These are not new ;) ) is to use a folio case which makes it open like a book so you can hold it like a book. You can get very good balance this way ,just like a hardcover.

The iPad is no different. I wouldn't try to hold it naked for more than a minute (I'm weak ) as the balance is poor.

But i will read it all day long with a cover just like the DX, which is comparable in weight.

Owning the DX has been a asset regarding this, as i've already thought it though; mostly with trial and error (I bought a lot of cases)

your move.

note: I prefer the DX by far, regardless of the weight, and never use the smaller one.

15. bludodge macrumors 6502

Unless reading comics, and any of the other books that will be coming out with color, etc. That Marvel app is awesome, I just wich could get more titles. I downloaded a free one just to check it out. WOW!

16. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

Get stronger.

Also, only 2 things should be happening in one's bed…one is sleeping and the other one is not reading!

Wait for gen 2, which might have a plastic backing. (yuck)

I like the industrial strength and weight of this gen 1 iPad…it feels very sturdy.

17. flyguy206 macrumors 6502a

you will get use to it in a few days. and when you pick up your iphone/touch it will feel strange. But people bitch about the camera now they see why apple did add one

18. c.s. thread starter macrumors regular

c.s.

Thanks everyone -- hadn't really thought about the case making it "feel" more like a book. I think that would work for me... (easily manipulated)

19. Doju macrumors 68000

The statistics of modern day people lacking exercise is becoming more and more clear.

"It's really heavy!"
    "I thought it weighed like a pound and a half..."
    "Well, it does."
    "Back in my day we'd deadlift and benchpress 200lbs. And here you are complaining about a pound and a half!"

20. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

Good point on being sturdy. No one wants flimsy.

21. rittchard macrumors 6502

As much as I love my iPad, I knew going in the weight would be an "issue" relative to say, a Kindle. Holding in one hand for any extended period of time starts to become a nuisance. However, I think what you'll find is that once you start really using it, you won't necessarily be just holding it in one hand all the time, particularly on the couch or in bed. You'll find what I call "natural resting positions" (like on your knee or another pillow) where the unit is just propped where you like it, and you only occasionally re-adjust and use the other hand to flip pages or scroll or whatever. Combined with accessories, etc. - the weight is not going to be an issue, aside for maybe in the bathroom where you likely are forced to hold it in one hand. But of course hopefully that won't be for too extended a time period :D

22. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

I'm really digging the Netflix app, the quality of the streaming on that screen is top notch. I had been DVR all the gunsmoke eps on Encore, now no need just queue them up and watch on the Ipad, I got about 4 Seasons to get caught up on not to mention everything else available.

23. PhoneI macrumors 65816

I thought it was too heavy at first, but after using it the last few days, and reading on it for hours at a time, I no longer think its a problem.

24. sparkomatic macrumors 6502a

sparkomatic

I'd been using a Kindle 2 and will say that the weight was the first thing I noticed when I checked it out at the Apple Store over the weekend. But, after using it for a couple of days, I'm in love with it. Picked up a case today which helps alot with the grip (like someone else mentioned above).

If all you want to do is read books, go with the Kindle. If you want to do all the other things and read books, you gotta go with the iPad!

25. jsbaugh macrumors 6502

+1. If I ever hold it with one hand its holding it underneath with my hand in the middle. Im usually sitting down and prop part of it on my leg or chest if I'm reclining. Lying in bed I use two hands with the thumbs underneath and the fingers on the sides which works well.