playing a movie that's on my iPhone ON A TV?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yelnref, Jan 28, 2009.

1. yelnref macrumors member

Can I do it?

Is it as simple as buying Apple's COMPONENT AV CABLE and hooking my iPhone up to my TV?

Thanks for any help or advice.

2. Etnies419 macrumors 6502

Yes, it's that simple. However, it won't look as good, since it's formatted for the iPhone.

3. yelnref thread starter macrumors member

4. notintheleast macrumors 6502

notintheleast

That all depends on the settings you choose. Using VisualHub, for instance, with it set to h.264 and the highest quality setting comes out great on my 55" plasma...

5. Etnies419 macrumors 6502

That's true. But most videos, which you will usually have formatted to work well with the iPhone, will not have great quality.

6. notintheleast macrumors 6502

notintheleast

Yeah, I only do them like that one at a time anyway. If I want it to look good the file is usually around 1GB after conversion. If I have a bunch of movies I want to take with me I'll usually convert them to about 450MB size and quality. Works great.

7. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

My video's encoded to work both on my AppleTV and my iPhone look great on both. The size of my movies (original DVD's) are 1.5GB each.

However, I have never tried to go directly from my iPhone to my TV via Video Out Cables.

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

What's "most videos?"

I bought an Elmo movie on iTunes. I also got the 'Dark Knight' DVD that comes with the iPod version on the 2nd disk. They're both 853x480. That's higher than DVD resolution.

I've also ripped a bunch of DVDs and left them at the same resolution.

Of course, you can only use a composite output from the iPhone, so that hurts it, but I've watched all these on a 42" HDTV and I would definitely call it "about the same as DVD."

So ALL the movies on my iPod look similar to DVDs when played on my HDTV. So where are you getting your facts from?