Playing Movies/audio from my NAS to the IPAD and then my TV?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by AFKMatrix, Mar 13, 2011.

1. AFKMatrix macrumors member

Hi,

Interested in getting a tablet and am deciding between the Ipad 2 or an Asus Eee Pad Transformer.

And one of the big things I want to do with the Ipad is take movies or audio from my NAS and via wifi play them on the Ipad and then connect it upto my TV and watch the movies on my tv.

So I have heard of Airplay and am I right in thinking that this would be able to grab stuff from my NAS and play them via wireless? I would ideally like to not have my pc on while doing this and just grab stuff straight from the NAS, is this possible?

I also understand that I can't play VIDEO_TS folders and have to convert to mp4 via handbrake? Could I use AirVideo to convert the VIDEO_TS folder on the fly though?

Thanks.

2. gunthermic macrumors 6502

You can't play directly from your NAS. The iPad will require iTunes to be runing on your PC or Mac.

The Video_TS folders will not play to your iPad, and Airplay does not convert them on the fly eithers. The Video_TS folders(movie) must be encoded via programs like HandBrake.

Another route to go is Plex... it has more options.

3. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

My NAS (QNAP) has a built in iTunes server, therefore I reckon I could do something with this.

Might have a play when I get my #2.

4. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

Good luck with that! I tried to get the QNAP ITunes server to do something useful, but (unless it has been significantly updated since) it does not even work with lossless audio so I can't imagine it will be able to handle modern video formats.

The best solution in any case is to use a Mac Mini/aTV in between your NAS and telly.

5. camelsnot macrumors 6502

camelsnot

drop box or some other local cloud-based solution that has an ipad app. Air Video may work to encode on the fly but I feel what's the point of having a NAS for home theater stuff if you're compressing it all to hell just to stream it to an iPad which is tethered to the TV. Break the bonds. Do a home theater justice.

other than that, get a real HTPC (no cr@p mini). You can get one w/atom proc and the whole nine for around $300. Cheaper than a mini and supports all the formats (divx, mkv, vob, avi, qt, etc). Anything dealing with iTunes is bloated or never works completely, which is ironic considering Apple's background in a/v. Look for an outside solution, always.

6. BadaBing!! macrumors 6502

BadaBing!!

Maybe AirVideo could be a solution if it can share content on your NAS through a PC/MAC.
    There is a free version for you to try.
    :apple:

7. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

The Mini is not cr@p but I certainly wouldn't argue if you said it was poor value for money! For anyone who wants a purely OSX setup though, it is the only choice (except for a hackintosh). Regarding iTunes, yes obviously that would be a poor choice. Installing Plex/XBMC is be a must.

8. lisheran macrumors member

I do this exact same thing using the buzz hd app. Works pretty good.

9. brianm801, Mar 14, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2011

brianm801 macrumors member

I use AirVideo to do this and it works great...

My NAS (linux) has all our movies in MKV format (1080p). With AirVideo my kids can watch the movies on their ipod touches or the iPad. Its not uncommon for the kids to be watching a movie on our home theater (powered by xmbc) and my wife to be watching a movie on her iPad.

What OS does your NAS run? I've tried the linux version of the AirVideo and it works great. I don't like to run other things on my NAS so i use a different machine... but there shouldn't be any reason you couldn't run it off your NAS.

It won't play the .VOB files (VIDEO_TS folder)... but you should convert your movies to MKV or DIVX anyway to save space :)

~Brian

10. AFKMatrix thread starter macrumors member

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your help and advice its much appreciated. Looks like the Plex app is looking good as this can also stream to my android phone which is a plus and could also stream to an android tablet if I do decide to go for the Asus. It does mean my pc has to be on but thats not too big a problem.

As for AirVideo I have a simple Netgear NAS and can't remember the type as I am in Bangkok but will check it out when I get back. I will also convert my Video_ts folders to MKV files.

Thanks.