Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aliencowboy69

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
My mate has just got an iphone 4s and says he has it connected to his playstation 3, so he can play Call Of Duty on line, and also goes online through his lap top for sirfing the net and playing poker online (both at the same time) through 3g.

I have been looking through my settings and dont know if that would be possible (i only have an iphone 4 not a 4s) or if he is just pulling my leg.

Anyone know if it's possible?

jtgamer

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2010
Springfield, VA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Is he talking about teathering the iPhone so he can play online and surf the web? It sounds like he is teathering and creating a personal hotspot.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
It's possible with an iPhone 4, but your carrier may charge you for using the "Personal Hotspot" feature, and it might not be possible on your current tariff.

See this page for more information:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4517

As a side note, I cannot recommend that anyone actually try this with any form of online gaming. The latency of Wi-Fi is bad enough, let alone the additional latency provided by a 3G connection.

Aliencowboy69

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
I thought he must be tethering too

He got his phone a few days ago n I was telling him it can do loads including internet tethering, but explained it costs a fortune and he agreed sayin he wouldnt use it as it costs a fortune to do it

Today he told me what he had done, so I assumed he must have done it some other way due to the conversation we had about tethering costs

He must have had a lottery win, lol

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
I teather thru my hotspot on my 4s and have been doing this for a couple years with past android phones. No lag for me even with Sprint. Cancled my home internet a long time ago and just use my hot spot feature;)

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
Tethering doesn't cost a fortune, assuming you're not on PayG. It just uses your Internet data allowance which is generally quite cheap.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Tethering doesn't cost a fortune, assuming you're not on PayG. It just uses your Internet data allowance which is generally quite cheap.

This is entirely up to your carrier.

Some carriers do not allow you to use the features at all.

Some will allow you to use the feature, but will charge you a separate monthly fee. In the case of AT&T in the US, that means you have to lose your Unlimited data plan.

Others will let you use your allowance (which could be unlimited)

Others might charge separately for the data you send and receive while tethering.

andyprit

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

The hotspot appears to have very strict NAT, which I'm guessing is why it didn't work for me :( I was looking forward to gobbling up my unlimited data doing so as well :(

(I have an xbox btw, not sure if it makes a difference)

faceyoung

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2012
Everybody's talking about all this tethering and jailbreaking ******** and you don't need to do any of that. All you have to do is go to your settings and rename your iPhone. I just used the letter "A". This is because there can't be any apostrophe's in the SSID when you enter it on your PS3. For example, "Joe's iPhone" won't work for the SSID.

Then turn on your mobile hotspot on your iPhone. Go to your PS3 and connect to your iPhone's WiFi like you normally would and your good to go! It couldn't be more simple!

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Everybody's talking about all this tethering and jailbreaking ******** and you don't need to do any of that. All you have to do is go to your settings and rename your iPhone. I just used the letter "A". This is because there can't be any apostrophe's in the SSID when you enter it on your PS3. For example, "Joe's iPhone" won't work for the SSID.

Then turn on your mobile hotspot on your iPhone. Go to your PS3 and connect to your iPhone's WiFi like you normally would and your good to go! It couldn't be more simple!

This thread is over a year old man, i'm sure everyone that posted knows now.

Pimpdaddy7083

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2013
No you don't have to used tethering to play your ps3 to play online u can used your personal hotspot to play. I bet thats what your friend is doing

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367509685.063842.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.