Plays by the VT killer

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by OldCorpse, Apr 17, 2007.

1. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Here's a link to the plays written by the killer at VT:

http://newsbloggers.aol.com/2007/04/...ung-huis-plays

I read them. Truly like something out of a nightmare. To me, it seems like he was clearly disturbed.

My heart goes out to the families of the victims.

We live in a strange world. I just heard that people are already looking to make short films based on these plays, with screen credit for "written by" going to the killer. Personally, I don't think this is a good idea and hope no macrumors users would want to be involved. Sure, it'll make a splash, but you couldn't pay me to do this. I'll cross post this to the video section too.

Let us remember the victims.

2. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

I want to say that I find nothing in either of the two plays to be offensive or disturbing in the least (other than the sheer lack of craft in the writing itself). Now I am not saying that Cho was not disturbed, by others accounts, not to mention his actions on Monday, clearly show this. However nothing in either of those plays is a "red flag" except when viewed in hindsight.

Popular TV shows and movies deal with more gruesome ideas.

Maybe I just don't get the "shock" factor of the plays.

3. OldCorpse thread starter macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Oh come on. The constant and obsessive and unmotivated hostility? The guy seems to be filled with rage - and no good reason is given in the plays. And the constant - out of the blue - references to "I wanna kill him"? What's up with that? The plays seem entirely focused on victimization and violence.

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Those are really interesting. The plays are angry, but i don't find them disturbing. It sound like he had a lot of pent up anger. Obviously. If he would have written more plays he may not have gone on the rampage. He was 23 but those plays sound like teen angst. Like someone with very little social experience.

5. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

For what I've seen, he wasn't a social person at all and never opened his mouth.

It's hard to understand how angry someone has to be to kill that many people.

This person doesn't understand the value of human life, therefore he takes others and then takes his own because he knows there is no point to living because the police will kill him anyway.

6. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

All true.

I wonder if we'll ever see his parents or find out what kid of home he grew up in.

7. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

So that is his artistic take? Maybe it was therapy for him? And "constant and obsessive and unmotivated hostility" are shown on TV and in film almost constantly.

I am not trying to be obtuse, but I still fail to see why they are being made such a big deal. It seems that you and others are hoping that the plays would give some reason why he did it, and since they don't deliver that they must be sensationalized in another way.

8. OldCorpse thread starter macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

I think if he needs therapy, it should be with a psychiatrist not a composition class. My point is different: if you are a teacher and a student gives you work that indicates a disturbed mind or a potential danger, you should not just whistle and look at the ceiling, but try to get the person some much needed help. Otherwise you end up with trouble. And to me, this clearly indicates a disturbed mind.

Also, the "umotivated" violence on TV is not the same - it's not a question of falling short of artistic standards, but unmotivated in a clinical nutcase standard.

9. kgarchar macrumors 6502

those plays ****ing sucked

so bad

like it sounds like a 7th grader wrote them

10. OldCorpse thread starter macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Yes, but a disturbed 7th grader!

11. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

The plays reminded me of a not too good imitation of David Mamet.

Of course I was expecting something like the level of the novel Battle Royale but unfortunately was rather disappointed honestly.

Not disturbing at all. Honestly, Battle Royale or the Marquis de Sade was something I was expected. Fat disappointment in that regards.

12. johnee macrumors 6502a

johnee

If you focus on the characters, they are people that feel someone is out to get them and want to cause them harm. His characters are young and powerless. Maybe he felt like that at one time?

But did anyone read the statement by the person that posted the plays? He was in a class with Cho and said he knew Cho probably was the shooter. He said his attitude in class was that of a loner, and he did NOT WANT to be reached out to. I think in his mind, he saw himself as a powerless person.

Something pushed him over the edge, it's like the smoker that wakes up one day and just knows they are not going to smoke anymore.

13. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Haven't heard a peep about them. Amazing how low a profile they've had given the way the press usually descends on everyone even remotely involved.

14. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

See, I make no connection between the plays and a "disturbed mind or a potential danger". I see a violent, distasteful and poorly crafted play, but thats about it.

Sorry, but I do not understand what you are trying to say here. If you could clarify I would appreciate it.

It also looks like there is a "note":
    Source=http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_5686446
    I wonder if this note will be made public.

15. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I definitely agree with Old Corpse that this is someone who was disturbed and counseling might have helped. But the problem is that creative writing is difficult to assess. How many of you all have taken college creative writing classes? As I recall, just about 90% of the stories by guys were about feeling powerless and frustrated, and about 90% of the stories by women were about abusive boyfriends and/or getting pregnant.

In reality, we probably all need more community.

16. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

First, let's debunk this myth that writing, or "creative writing," or whatever you want to call it, gives us a look into the true soul of a person. People write for a lot of different reasons, and most of what they write is disingenuous, anyways.

These plays are hardly violent. If they were handed in in my HS creative writing class, I'd never think I was dealing with a potential mass murderer. I'd think I was dealing with an angry kid -- but then, I deal with angry kids, and angry kid writing, every day. How would anyone, based on these writings, pull him out of the millions of kids who write angry stuff and do nothing? Would I have referred his name to the school social worker or psychologist? Probably. But, I bet the school social worker or psychologist works with kids who are far more evidently disturbed, too.

The plays themselves -- the first play portrays youth as empowered -- though ultimately destroyed -- by victimhood, the second portrays youth as embittered by victimhood. The consistent theme is clearly youth as victim, especially as victim of authority. It's not hard to read this onto the situation if we want to, but let's not pretend that these plays represent a clear indication of someone who is self evidently "disturbed."

But, then, maybe that's the larger point. It's easier to dismiss the murderer as disturbed -- to place him at a safe distance from ourselves -- than it is to admit he may have been just as ordinary as anyone else.