Pleasant experience at the Apple store today. (regarding scratched phone)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MMM.PWR, Sep 22, 2012.

1. MMM.PWR macrumors 6502

MMM.PWR

I've been calling Apple stores since I opened my box Friday afternoon. Everyone told me they were out of iPhones and to check another day / call customer service.

So I made an appointment for today at the Genius Bar. And I am very pleased to say I came home with a flawless black 64gb. :D

If you ask a regular employee chances are they will not know how to help. You must ask at the Genius Bar, and obviously have an appt.
    --------

Details on what to do:

-Make appointment
    -Show Genius your scratched phone
    -If they have it in stock, and they should, it'll be replaced right away.

Don't call the stores asking if they have phones in stock, since they will think you're looking to buy one for the first time.

These units they have in the store for replacement are just that, replacement only units and not for sale, since they do not come in the regular box but a small box with just the phone and nothing else.

I had previously been told by online customer service that I would have to return my phone, wait for my upgrade eligibility to show up again and THEN buy the new phone. This is not the case, all that is needed is to swap sims, and you are done.

Also bought the AppleCare+ while I was at it. Very happy now!! :D

Looking at the white iPhones just confirmed that I made the right choice with the black. I really dislike the chrome, and somehow it feels "cheaper" but that's just IMO.

2. Roman2K~ macrumors 6502a

Congratulations on the flawless black iPhone 5 and positive exchange experience. Aren't you afraid of scratching it though?

(Personally, I'm waiting for mine to arrive but I can't bear the thought of it being so prone to scratches. I'm extremely cautious with my devices but I'm afraid this one seems too fragile for me to handle.)

3. MMM.PWR thread starter macrumors 6502

MMM.PWR

I know, the forums have made me paranoid about handling it. I haven't even set it up yet. And I went out to dinner without my phone (I hate to be this guy.)

I'm not afraid of it being scratched, because it'll spend most of its life inside a sleeve, besides.. if it gets really bad, I'll have AC+ to exchange. I'll definitely want a newer one down the line, maybe after a year or so.