Pleasant surprise! Verizon 3G speed (especially ping) all of a sudden get big boost!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MarlboroLite, Nov 18, 2011.

1. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

Does anyone else in the greater New York area notice recently that 3G speeds with Verizon are routinely hitting the high 2's in mbps and that ping speeds routinely register in the range of low 80s to 100 ms as opposed to the far more common 200-300ms range from a few months ago? I tend to use WIFI a lot more so I didn't notice the 3G boost until quite recently when while using it the rendering of webpages became suspiciously fast compared to how I remember it. I never once saw speeds higher than 1.5mbps on 3G and now I flirt with 3mbps and 80 ms in ping!

Is this a fluke or has Verizon managed to squeeze more speed from EVDO rev. A lately (in this area of the country at least??) This is really such a pleasant surprise to me...I had no illusions about CDMA 3G speeds and I was ok with the slower speeds as a sacrifice for good data and especially reliable voice coverage in this region....and now this boost that is very very noticeable just made me quite happy!

2. EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

Just did a test. My Server was in Philedelphia, PA.

84 ping. 2.02 up, .56 down.

3. Jigga macrumors 6502

My speed has been really slow recently.
    Here's a speed test from today:

Attached Files: