Pleasantly surprised by iPhone 5c

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by virginblue4, Sep 21, 2013.

1. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Today I went to my local Apple Store, West Quay to see both of the new iPhones and give them a go before I get my iPhone 5s in a few weeks.

I was pleasnatly surprised by the 5c, it looks and feels different to the pictures. It feels like a high end, high quality phone and the plastic just doesn't feel like plastic. If all the features of the 5s were in the 5c design, I would snap one up in a heartbeat!

All of them were nice but the blue was definitely my favourite. I must say I was rather reserved regarding the plastic, but now, I honestly think it's one of the nicest designed products that Apple have released.

I'll still be buying an iPhone 5s due to the features, but if it were a contest of design, I think the 5c would win, in my opinion. Just thought I'd post this as I've seen negativity regarding the iPhone 5c and thought this may help people who are considering buying one.

Now just to choose between silver and gold! :confused:

2. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

5S to me is better design. I think you might be just tired of seeing the same design.

3. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

That's it. After a year the 5C is refreshing but overall i think 5S is a better design.

4. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

I have to admit that I might have bought a hypothetical 5SC over the 5S. As much as I think that super sleak metal design is amazing looking I actually miss the rounded plastic body of the 3G in daily use. A lot of people think of that kind of plastic as slippery, but in practice I find that it sticks to my fingers and provides a better grip than most other materials. I don't use cases obviously.

I definitely agree that the 5S is the better design. It's the best design for a smartphone I've ever seen, by far. Making the "black" lighter in color was an excellent decision because it really highlights just how great that design is. I just think that there's a certain appeal to rounded, grip-able plastic in terms of heavy daily use.

5. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

The all glass design was nice, but the aluminum sucks. The 5C is probably the best designed iPhone to date.

6. Adelphos33 macrumors 6502

I prefer the 4/4S design over all other iPhones, but I think the 5C is at least "better designed" than the 5. I need to play with the 5S gold before making a decision on that comparison because it does look very good.

7. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I disagree, but we can all agree they are all nicely designed. :)

8. Makaveliarts macrumors 6502

I'm gonna miss my 4s design when I get my 5s...

9. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Yep I checked them out at my Apple store today and honestly it felt more like ceramic than plastic. Really nice.

10. mashinhead, Sep 21, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2013

mashinhead macrumors 68020

I just popped in to see it all in person, and I agree 5C feels really nice in the hand. It also is much thinner than I thought. If it had the capabilities of the 5S I would probably get that. Also the colors are completely different too. The yellow is much less saturated, the green much more. And the pink is really neon pink, it looks more muted online.

I saw the gold and silver in person and the gold is very subtle on the back. More subtle than in pictures you see online. Its hardly discernible from silver, you see gold, more in the polished metal (the ring around the home button, and the chamfer) than you do in the anodized part. It looked nice.

11. 617aircav Suspended

the 5c is such a step down from the 5 design wise. Im not impressed by just colors. It feels like a hard plastic, still plastic.