Please advice: Core i7 on 15" Mid 2012 MBP vs Core i5 on 27" 2013 iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by t3k, Sep 14, 2014.

1. t3k macrumors newbie

t3k

Hi, I plan to upgrade my MD103 (non retina) 15" Mid 2012 MBP to ME089 27" 2013 iMac.
    But I just realize the processor on iMac was i5 (3.4 GHz).
    How that's compared to i7 2.3 GHz on my old iMac?

I upgrade to iMac have more power and bigger screen.
    And I'm doing graphic design, motion graphic & video editing.
    Using mostly Adobe Illusrator, After Effect & Premiere Pro, and Cinema 4D.

Can anyone help me will the power difference is good enough from MBP to iMac? And the i5 vs i7 comparison

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Depends on what Apps you use....

The Core i7 will hyperthread giving you 8 virtual cores, so if your software leverages it this can be a boon. However the i5 in the Imac is a desktop class processor and of a newer architecture than the ivybridge in the laptop so it will be more powerful and faster for longer.

To be honest the best thing about the iMac will be that huge screen other than that I imagine they will run pretty much the same processor wise. The biggest difference will be the 780M graphics card option in the iMac this will be best for your use case if you can find one in your price range. I assume you are going for a refurb, if so an ssd or a fusion drive will make more difference to your overall speed and snappiness in use than anything else.

3. t3k thread starter macrumors newbie

t3k

Thanks for your reply, yes I just read about the i7 and Hyper Threading.
    I think I will pretty miss the HT on my MBP.

I'd love buying refurb, but unfortunately in my country (Indonesia) there's still no official Apple Store, so there's no refurb item can be bought.

I feel need to buy the CTO to get i7, but because no Apple Store here, that will be hard.

Is there any online benchmark test I could see between MD103 & ME089 ?

4. Samuelsan2001, Sep 15, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2014

Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Benchmarks

http://browser.primatelabs.com/mac-benchmarks

Go here for mac benchmarks but remember in real world usage you won't see the differences in the same way. Thermal throttling in a laptop may mean the better cooling in the iMac runs faster for longer as an example.

I would reccomend the SSD or fusion drive over an upgrade to i7, in most usage this will be the bottleneck. Honestly shaving a few seconds off of rendering times etc is not worth it unless thats how you make your money, but 11 seconds boot time and ultra fast app opening are much more noticable.

5. mike1123 macrumors 6502

mike1123

I'm fairly certain the iMac uses mobile class processors.

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

MBike GPU

You are misinformed then they use desktop class processors and mobile class GPU's a compromise for their thin all in one nature.

7. dollystereo macrumors 6502a

dollystereo

No they don't.

8. mike1123 macrumors 6502

mike1123

I stand corrected. They used to use them but made the switch over to desktop.