please advise: 2.16 ghz upgrade to 2.4 ghz

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by vic32amg, Mar 10, 2009.

1. vic32amg macrumors newbie

First post, long time member / lurker.

I currently have a 2.16 Ghz Macbook white, and am considering selling and getting a 2.4 GHz. several reason for the thought.

I was considering adding RAM and a larger HD (currently 1 gb RAM and 120GB HD)

Then I thought, why not just upgrade the entire unit.

I mainly use my desktop for editing video but would like to start using the Macbook for that.

find a slightly used 2.4ghz

add 4gb RAM 500GB HD and this should be very good with final cut pro etc..

I figured the better graphics card, 800 bus + more RAM in general, and slightly faster processor for rendering would be ideal.

or do you think 500gb HD upgrade and adding 3.3 gb RAM in my current set up would be just as efficient or very close to the newer option.

I do NOT do gaming and i do much of my schoolwork on my macbook as well. Mainly video and music.

thanks in advance.

Vic

2. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

if you are patient, you should be able to do this upgrade for very little money. Make sure that the model that you upgrade to can handle the 4GB

3. skorpien macrumors 68020

4. vic32amg thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess my real questions is has anyone made this leap and is there a noticable difference when dealing with these upgrades and running FCE or HD.

5. kage207 macrumors 6502a

To be honest, I haven't worked with FCE but have with iMovie with the old white MacBook at 2.4GHz. It's a bit slow sometimes and sometimes crashes but only like twice. I'm actually looking to get FCE or something else because I'm getting into film for numerous reasons. I can't complain with the computer I have. It works just fine as of right now. And I most likely will use this computer to use FCE.

I'd say if you want a larger HD why not just get an external? Loads aren't bad and it's cheaper and easier. The processing speed should help you out easily and the RAM shouldn't need to be bigger than 2GB, does it help to have more? Sure but you should only be running FCE if you are working with 2GB just to be nicer on the computer.

What's the price range you are looking for?