Please advise how to get the Airport Extreme to join a Windows workgroup

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by wattersmac, Aug 22, 2007.

1. wattersmac macrumors newbie

Folks, if someone has an Airport Extreme and tried to configure it for Windows networking I'd appreciate knowing how they did it. It doesn't seem possible to specify a windows workgroup for the Airport Extreme via the Airport utility.

I have a Windows network which uses a Windows workgroup (let's call the workgroup "fred").

I know what I needed to do to get the Mac to connect to the windows workgroup in a wired setup (namely, via the SMB/CIFS entry in the directory access window on the mac itself). So, in the wired situation the Mac connects to the Windows workgroup fine. However, when operating in wireless the mac can't access the windows workgroup (so I can't print etc when in wireless). This must be because the Airport Extreme hasn't been configured yet for the Windows workgroup "fred", but how to do that? If someone knows, could you please advise. Thanks.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I don't know that you're going down the right path... My AirPort acts as my DHCP server (router) which is how it's usually set up by default. Are you using your AirPort as a router or merely an access point or bridge? :)

3. jsnipper macrumors newbie

are you saying that it works when you're wired but not when you're wireless?