Please!! Apple release the official factory unlocked iphone 4s already

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by coolweirdo, Oct 31, 2011.

1. coolweirdo macrumors regular

coolweirdo

Im patiently, but anxiously waiting for apple to release the official factory unlocked iphone 4s for Verizon, i've had the chance to speak with a few apple reps online and on the phone, which they all told me that the factory unlocked phone would be locked cdma wise but i have the option to pop in a Att sim and use it as i please.which is alright with me. the hard part is waiting!!!

feel free to add ur thoughts and opinions

ps. why do apple like to play the waiting game with its die hard apple fans :apple:

2. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Most likely reason- they have agreements with the cell phone companies to not release an unlocked version before a set amount of time.

3. coolweirdo thread starter macrumors regular

coolweirdo

when they say Nov. do you think it would be early Nov.
    and do you guys honestly think that for those who buy the factory unlocked iphone 4s with verizon will have the option to use it with Tmobile or Att

4. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Uhh I'm quite positive that you can achieve this already with the Verizon iPhone 4S. No need to wait at all. Both Sprint and Verizon already have numerous phones that have unlocked GSM SIM slots.An example of this would be the DROID 2 Global by Motorola.

5. sup3r1or macrumors regular

Got mine from apple.com/uk

I know it is a GSM but didnt they say its a WORLD PHONE?

6. coolweirdo thread starter macrumors regular

coolweirdo

What i mean is if i wait and get the factory unlocked version i can use the cdma side with Verizon and since i waited til the official unlocked iphone 4s came out i can use it with att as well. so i would like to use it with att and verizon

7. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Is there going to be one? According to the Apple website, "The unlocked iPhone works only on supported GSM networks, such as AT&T in the U.S. When you travel internationally, you can also use a micro-SIM card from a local GSM carrier. The unlocked iPhone will not work with CDMA carriers such as Verizon Wireless or Sprint."

8. shanmugam macrumors 68020

shanmugam

9. coolweirdo thread starter macrumors regular

coolweirdo

thats the confusing part ive spoken with a couple reps an the said it gonna be locked cdma wise but i can put a Att sim in.

but idk different info coming from different angles

----------

i hope soo!!!!!!!

10. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Not true. I already have my unlocked AT&T 4S for only $199.00

11. coolweirdo thread starter macrumors regular

coolweirdo

ok i just confirmed it only benefits Att customers, but thats kinda strange why would they wait till nov to sell the factory unlocked version in nov when u can just go to apple a pay full price for one right now

12. melman101 macrumors 68030

How did you unlock it?

----------

Unlocked iPhones don't work on the CDMA side. Only on the GSM side. Meaning if you buy an unlocked iPhone it won't work with any CDMA carriers.

From Apple.com
    "The unlocked iPhone works only on supported GSM networks, such as AT&T in the U.S. When you travel internationally, you can also use a micro-SIM card from a local GSM carrier. The unlocked iPhone will not work with CDMA carriers such as Verizon Wireless or Sprint."

13. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Good question, though now you can only do it in-store and in Nov. you'll be able to order it online. Not sure why the distinction though.

14. coolweirdo thread starter macrumors regular

coolweirdo

i dont understand why would they do it like that

15. OrganicApples macrumors newbie

CDMA vs GSM Unlocked

"Thats the confusing part ive spoken with a couple reps an the said it gonna be locked cdma wise but i can put a Att sim in.

but idk different info coming from different angles"

Here's my angle in a nutshell.
    If you are using a micro SIM card, you're not on CDMA.
    To use it CDMA you will need to buy ot from Apple preprogramed for that specific CDMA network. Therefore it comes factory unlocked only for GSM networks.

16. OrganicApples macrumors newbie

Standard CDMA with unlock GSM option

I do not know if you can buy a CDMA 4S under a carrier contract while having a "travel" GSM factory unlock feature available as an option for international use?

17. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

18. batman75 macrumors 6502

I'm waiting too. I got a contract iPhone 4S from AT&T and sold it sealed in the box for a $400 premium over the contract price. Now I'm repurposing that money to the unlocked one.

If anyone has any news, please share.

19. shanmugam macrumors 68020

shanmugam

20. batman75 macrumors 6502

Is there even a way to pre-order it? or even sign up for a notification email?