Please convince me that upgrading is worth it!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nienque, Sep 10, 2014.

1. nienque macrumors member

I was planning on upgrading my 5S to the 4.7inch iPhone 6, but I was rather underwhelmed by the keynote. Most of the new features seem rather incremental to me, and the headline features are irrelevant to me. Specifically:

- I don't live in the US, so Apple Pay might not even arrive here before the iPhone 6S.
    - I have small hands, so 4.7 inch is not so much a benefit as a handicap.
    - Apple Watch will work with the iPhone 5S anyway.

Are there any other benefits to the iPhone 6 that might justify the €700 price tag? My boyfriend is eyeing up my current phone and I had my heart set on a new iPhone, but I am having a really hard time getting excited about it :/

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

If you're not excited over the new iPhone and can't or won't use some of the new features, then it sounds like you'd be happy staying with what you have and saving some money.

No one should need to convince you of anything, but yourself.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple is about incremental updates, so its no surprise. If you're underwhelmed then save your money and wait for a phone that makes more sense for you.

4. nnacrumors macrumors 6502

OP why would you want to switch to a new phone that's a handicap (due to your small hands) and you aren't excited about it? :confused:

5. JaySoul macrumors 68020

JaySoul

6. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

It's not our job to convince you to buy something, it's Apple's. If they didn't live up to that, take it up with them. :)

Also, we don't need to hear about issues of getting excited between you and your boyfriend. Wrong forum for that. ;):D

7. nienque thread starter macrumors member

One the one hand, I guess you're right. On the other, you could say that the last few phones have all had a 'killer feature' that would make people want to update: the 5 had a fresh design with taller screen, the 5S had Touch ID, and the 6 has a bigger screen and (for Americans) Apple Pay.

I guess I shouldn't keep my hopes up for Apple bringing Apple Pay over to the Netherlands anytime soon, either. We don't even have Siri yet :/

Thanks for all of your advice! I guess it takes a neutral third party to cut through the 'but I always upgrade every year!' crap ;)

8. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

You need to decide if you want to upgrade, not us.

If you don't think it's worth it then save your money!

9. nparmelee macrumors 6502

Year to year the changes are usually incremental. For those of us who upgrade every other year, the changes are usually worth it and we are likely to have more noticeable improvements. Only you can decide if it's worth it to you, if it isn't worth it, wait until the next version. If you have money to throw away, you can send it my way, I'd be glad to help you out there.

10. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

OP,
    May I ask what on earth you were expecting? Everything was leaked in advance, as it has been every year for... years.

Sounds like you need to decide whether the screen size thing is enough for you. I am personally more than excited for the NFC payments, but I can see that being a lackluster feature for those outside of the US right now. I am also pretty damn excited about effectively replacing our iPad completely, but then I am going with the 5.5'', so again, different situation it seems lol.

11. Meister Suspended

Meister

12. nostresshere macrumors 68030

I think we should convince you to stick with the perfectly good 5s you already have.

13. recoil80 macrumors 68000

The main benefit is the bigger screen allowing more content.
    The CPU is faster, but not so much, the new camera seems better but you already have the true tone flash, your phone already has LTE and touch ID and if you're not interested in Apple pay you can live without NFC.

Don't upgrade and save your money for the iPad or for 6S next year.

14. 617aircav Suspended

Don't buy it. Why would you need convincing, you can't make up your own mind?

15. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

OP needs convincing because Apple did not convince 5S owners that 6 is a material upgrade- unless you like bigger screen.

Don't buy something that you feel that you needed more convincing than what you see at keynote.