Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daikyouju

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 29, 2010
Is this normal? I feel ripped off having paid so much for this battery eater:

2mdm6pz.png

Time since last full charge:
Usage: 4 hours 58 minutes
Standby: 1 day 11 hours

I'm on iOS 5.0.1, stock firmware.
4 hours 58 minutes of chatting on FB messenger (on wifi) while playing music from my library, some maps, a little foursquare (with radar on) on 3G and just four phone calls (each one less than 5 minutes)

Right now it's 1% as you can see in the screenshot. Is this normal?

Feel free to post yours if you want to. Thank you.

Last edited:

Daikyouju

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 29, 2010
check your settings, disable stuff you don't need, as there's things that run all the time and eat the battery

Yes, thanks for advice. However that is an unfair solution because I don't have to disable that "stuff I don't need" on my other iOS devices (iPad 2 has almost the same hardware and it really saves battery while in standby)

Definitely this is a problem with the iPhone 4S software.

Another suggestion? Or this is how iPhone 4s's battery performs?

(Because it is not nice having an advanced smartphone with all settings disabled just because the software doesn't work properly during standby... right?)

Last edited:

Rampant.A.I.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yes, try disabling the settings you don't need, like Bluetooth and any location services you don't use. All phones, from all makers, come from the factory with every power-hungry feature turned on, even ones you won't use daily or at all.

Streaming music via wifi you have a constant input/output going, it takes more juice than you'd think. GPS location services take more power than you'd think.

How many times have you charged the phone? You should start to notice a difference in charge by running it below 20% and charging it all the way back up a few times.

Daikyouju

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 29, 2010
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yes, try disabling the settings you don't need, like Bluetooth and any location services you don't use. All phones, from all makers, come from the factory with every power-hungry feature turned on, even ones you won't use daily or at all.

Streaming music via wifi you have a constant input/output going, it takes more juice than you'd think. GPS location services take more power than you'd think.

How many times have you charged the phone? You should start to notice a difference in charge by running it below 20% and charging it all the way back up a few times.

I wasn't playing music on wifi. I was chatting on Facebook Messenger on wifi while playing my music from the iPhone's library.

So this is how iPhone 4s battery performs? I feel really disappointed.

Rcflex

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2011
Palm Springs, CA
I wasn't playing music on wifi. I was chatting on Facebook Messenger on wifi while playing my music from the iPhone's library.

So this is how iPhone 4s battery performs? I feel really disappointed.

I don't understand how long you expect this small and slim phone's battery is supposed to last... So you where chatting on facebook (using wifi) and playing music as well for 4 hours and 58 min... Then you also had 1 day and 11 min on stanby... I also see you have Icloud running and who knows what else... This is not a nuclear powered device ;)

Peace

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I don't see a problem at all with it - 1 1/2 days of standby and 5 hours of usage is pretty good for any smartphone.
The iPad lasts longer because the battery is huge ;)

gladoscc

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2011
Step 1: Wait one week for your battery to settle in. The calibration of your battery is probably not accurate, what you're seeing (1%) might be actually 15%, just the software doesn't know..

Use the device till it shuts off by itself.

Step 2: Come to the apple store. They have battery diagnostic software, and you most likely will get a refurb with new battery.

SuperSnake2012

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2005
NY
I get similar battery life and I'm happy with that. It more than makes it through the day... I guess some people only want to charge their phone twice a week. :rolleyes:

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
You were multi tasking for 5 hours with wi-fi and probably everything else on and you had a whole day and 11 minutes of standby.... I dont think you're going to find any phone on the market that can do all that and last any longer to be honest with you.

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
That's pretty good battery life , what are you expecting ?
And what phone are you coming from ?

macbookman83

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2011
New York
I'm actually in the process of running a battery test. My gf's 64GB 4s was at 90% battery when we went to bed last night around 1am and by the morning it was completely dead no background apps running.

I noticed the same thing last weekend. I'm going to disable nearly everything but I still don't understand the logic for all this battery drain.

elistan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Denver/Boulder, CO
Time since last full charge:
Usage: 4 hours 58 minutes
Standby: 1 day 11 hours

I'm on iOS 5.0.1, stock firmware.
4 hours 58 minutes of chatting on FB messenger (on wifi) while playing music from my library, some maps, a little foursquare (with radar on) on 3G and just four phone calls (each one less than 5 minutes)

Right now it's 1% as you can see in the screenshot. Is this normal?

Yep, pretty normal. You went from, say, 08:00 Monday to 19:00 Tuesday with five hours of use, including running the GPS some? That's pretty darn good for such a small, mobile device IMO. Just charge the sucker overnight each night and you'll probably get all the usage you need during the day.

PaulyD

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2010
UK
I don't see an issue with the battery life either on that.

The way I see it is 6 hours usage with 24 hours standby is good.

If he was to post in the batterygate thread the majority of people would not see an issue with it

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
I don't see anything wrong with your battery life. The iPhone is not an iPad. It doesn't have the same size battery. You were able to play music, chat, make phone calls, use the GPS...and using the GPS does take a lot of battery. Plus you had a day and a half of standby. I consider that to be perfectly reasonable. Did you think you'd only have to charge your phone every 3-4 days or something?

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
That's very good. No android phone i have used or know of can get past 4 hours of actual screen on time. Unless you put after market batteries in them.

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
everyone should just make a thread showing there battery performance :rolleyes:

your phone is on standby for a day and a half lol

don't know why anyone would need to keep a phone off a charger for that long

actually i don't even know why i'm responding to this thread :confused:

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
Why laugh if your battery life is average to pretty good depending on what you compare it to.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
That's better than what I get. I usually have to charge my iPhone by lunch and another time by dinner.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.