Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Darthdingo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 11, 2010
I honestly do not understand the crazy hype and media surrounding the upcoming iPhone5 ? I owned the first two iPhone's, thought they were crazy cool then, like from StarTrek future, but then I got bored when the 3GS was just more of the same, and moved on to the Nexus-One...then the Nexus-S 4G...now the Galaxy Nexus. I am open to going back to an iPhone, but to me it still looks and feels like the original from five years ago. I am open to going back to an iPhone, but not if it is just more of the same again.

Not trying to start a flame war here, honestly want to know why everyone is freaking out over the iPhone5, where to me, it seems like the same old, same old as the iPhone4, just slightly different at best, but basically the same design for a third year in a row. Where is the Apple innovation, or "magical" design, they were known for ?

The taller iPhone4 known as the iPhone5, looks absolutely ridiculous and silly. Looks like a Hershey's candy bar. Oh wow, so now, it will allow a 6th row of app icons LOL, amazing Apple will pass this off as all new and magical, and the Sheep will buy it in droves still.

iOS6 still looks so outdated, like from 2007, no widgets yet, no LED notification light, like BlackBerry has had for years. No live app icons like Windows Phone 8. The OS still has that lame Fischer Price toy theme. It's a kiddy phone.

Now they make the iPhone 4 a hair taller, and razor thin, but no bigger battery. Why not keep it the same thickness as the iPhone4, but stuff in a much larger battery ?

And these leaks for the iPhone5 have been everywhere this Summer. How will Tim Cook surprise us, when he reveals the phone millions of us have seen already. Doubling down on secrecy, LOL.

I will eat my words, if Apple reveals a truly original design, like 4.3" screen, with a shape no one has a leak of yet, but highly doubtful.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
how do you not understand the iphone hype? It is the "single" biggest selling phone. It comes out once a year and will always have hype....

also a phone is more than just a stand alone device in 2012. It is the apple ecosystem and the way the products work within it that make it so important.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
So you still hang here why? The iPhone is beneath you. It bored you. You found what you wanted with Android.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
I honestly do not understand the crazy hype and media surrounding the upcoming iPhone5 ? I owned the first two iPhone's, thought they were crazy cool then, like from StarTrek future, but then I got bored when the 3GS was just more of the same, and moved on to the Nexus-One...then the Nexus-S 4G...now the Galaxy Nexus. I am open to going back to an iPhone, but to me it still looks and feels like the original from five years ago. I am open to going back to an iPhone, but not if it is just more of the same again.

Not trying to start a flame war here, honestly want to know why everyone is freaking out over the iPhone5, where to me, it seems like the same old, same old as the iPhone4, just slightly different at best, but basically the same design for a third year in a row. Where is the Apple innovation, or "magical" design, they were known for ?

The taller iPhone4 known as the iPhone5, looks absolutely ridiculous and silly. Looks like a Hershey's candy bar. Oh wow, so now, it will allow a 6th row of app icons LOL, amazing Apple will pass this off as all new and magical, and the Sheep will buy it in droves still.

iOS6 still looks so outdated, like from 2007, no widgets yet, no LED notification light, like BlackBerry has had for years. No live app icons like Windows Phone 8. The OS still has that lame Fischer Price toy theme. It's a kiddy phone.

Now they make the iPhone 4 a hair taller, and razor thin, but no bigger battery. Why not keep it the same thickness as the iPhone4, but stuff in a much larger battery ?

And these leaks for the iPhone5 have been everywhere this Summer. How will Tim Cook surprise us, when he reveals the phone millions of us have seen already. Doubling down on secrecy, LOL.

I will eat my words, if Apple reveals a truly original design, like 4.3" screen, with a shape no one has a leak of yet, but highly doubtful.

Crazy hype? maybe it's because apple only releases one phone per year as opposed to...samsung, htc..etc?
Trust me, there are just as many sam-fandroids waiting for the galaxy S whatever every year.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
It's totally sweet that you know how to copy and paste your own posts into multiple threads. Show me!

Darthdingo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 11, 2010
So you still hang here why? The iPhone is beneath you. It bored you. You found what you wanted with Android.

I am bored with Android now, Jellybean is near perfect, and to me Android is nearly complete, now to move onto something fresh and original again. I think the upcoming Nokia Windows Phone 8 does looks pretty different, might go that route.

I would happily go back to the iPhone if they change and add this;
- 4.3" screen
- Widgets allowed on the homescreen
- LED notification light, like BlackBerry
- Live app icons, like the weather icon would show today's true temp.

Apple could make the iPhone the best device in the world and crush both Android and Windows if they did this. Or offer two different phones, a smaller 3.5" still, and a larger device. Widgets can be options, if you don't want them, don't use.

ARSC

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
There is no phone like the iPhone, tried all be it nokia,android etc

i think the rumor iphone design is perfect.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
I am bored with Android now, Jellybean is near perfect, and to me Android is nearly complete, now to move onto something fresh and original again. I think the upcoming Nokia Windows Phone 8 does looks pretty different, might go that route.

- 4.3" screen

Apple could make the iPhone the best device in the world and crush both Android and Windows if they did this. Or offer two different phones, a smaller 3.5" still, and a larger device. Widgets can be options, if you don't want them, don't use.

I really don't think people care that much about an LED Notification light.

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2010
I am going to pick up th i5, but windows phone has been on my radar for over a year now. Verizon just has not anything good at all for them, just the focus. That's is about to change though as it looks like they will have several flagship windows phones shortly.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

- 4.3" screen

The things you want will probably never happen with an iphone though. They are used by business now (taking over blackberry's role) and do not want people to have to "learn" a new system. IOS will never be completed and will never be something that people will have to learn. I understand where you are coming from, but that is not apple's direction and you will not get that from them.

It truly is a device that a 5 year old can use and understand, which is why it is so fantastic. I want my phone to just work when I need it to and not have to spend time learning it. I do that with other pieces of technology

Darthdingo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 11, 2010
Someone is asking why there's hype for a new Apple product?

I could understand the hype, if the iPhone5 was a completely new design, with a new iOS UI, and the OS was updated and slightly different, along with both a taller + wider screen. But from what I am seeing, it just looks like an iPhone4 only taller and thinner, and that's it. Now for a third year in a row.

Someone from Apple made a comment last year, that a future iOS would have a brand new UI look and theme to it. Maybe that is coming for iOS7 ? I think that is my main beef, the OS, still looks pretty much the same, I rather see that refreshed.

Darthdingo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 11, 2010
Good comment from another Forum user Activate: AMD

How are widgets of no use? I have live weather updates, live agenda updates, direct links to contacts and other stuff all on my homescreens. Instead of having to open up my work e-mail program, then click through the app to get to my list of appointments (synced to outlook calender), I simply get to my homescreen, swipe over and see an updated list of the upcoming appointments. Thats many fewer gestures than iOS would take to do the equivalent. Its the same with all the other widgets I use as well. Live updating shortcuts to regularly used content is far, far more streamlined than clicking on icons. The battery life argument is absolute nonsense, animated tiles or widgets would only consume battery with the screen on and the point is that I don't need my screen on as long as you do to get the same info. Thats not to mention that it would be trivial relative to the overall screen power consumption, which, FYI, has nothing to do with density and much more to do with the total number of pixels. I suppose it should be mentioned as well that the "retina" display has since been surpassed in that department.

PerplexShyt

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011

you dont like iphone?

ok....have fun with your plastic devices. lol :D

cardinalryan

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
I think the rumor iPhone design blows. :)
I think people are losing sight of some of the things that make the iPhone less appealing than ever.

Yes, the physical design is underwhelming to say the least, but the glaring omission of Google Maps in iOS 6 in favor of the underperforming Apple Maps is a total travesty and deal breaker for me.

I was 100% on board with going back to the iPhone after a year away, but no Google Maps is devastating.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
and the Sheep will buy it in droves still.

For those of us who do not appreciate being referred to as 'Sheep", instead of eating your words will you just promise to leave the forum.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Instead of having to open up my work e-mail program, then click through the app to get to my list of appointments (synced to outlook calender), I simply get to my homescreen, swipe over and see an updated list of the upcoming appointments.

As opposed to iOS users who have to swipe down instead of over to see their live weather and live agenda updates. It's amazing Apple has sold this many iPhones considering how difficult they make accessing these basic functions. :D

Thats many fewer gestures than iOS would take to do the equivalent.

In reality, that's exactly the same number of gestures from the homescreen or more gestures than iOS from an app. :rolleyes:

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
Dude! It's like a once a year happening, like Halloween or Xmas! People who use and love and rely on their iPhone (whatever model) get to trade up and enjoy the new fruit off of the tree.

Doesn't matter if you or I think it is a bit stale, basically it is a great platform with great device and customer service included in that.

Just because it no longer is in your interest, doesn't mean that millions of others are just Sheep etc. Really, I don't plan on dropping my S3 but I also admit to being caught in the hype!

Old habits are hard to break!!

Let the games begin!!!

Wewt!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.