Please, give your GOLDEN comments to make my dreams true at weekend. Macbook Pro 17''

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macmania82, May 26, 2009.

  1. macmania82 macrumors regular

    Apr 14, 2009
    Hi friends,

    I'm so close to make my dreams true... as close as days... hopefully finally this weekend I'm going to buy :apple: Macbook Pro 17'' (previous generation) :D

    I'm extremely excited of that!!!! but I also worry if I buy sth wrong. I've been saving money years and years for that, and I cant upgrade my laptop in next 4-5 years (money matter).

    What do you think for the spec below? Please tell me your ideas,, each messages here are like gold for me! thanks a lot, I appreciate you guys!!!

    ps, does it support 1920px res?

    == 2600 Dollar ==

    MacBook Pro 17 "2.5GHz/4GB/320GB/SD/AP/BT/GF8600MGT

    - Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    - 17 "Widescreen liquid crystal display LED-backlit Glossy
    - 4 GB of DDR2 memory (2x1GB SO-DIMM) 667MHz
    - Hard-drive 320 GB Serial ATA
    - optical-drive 8x SuperDrive (DVD + R DL / DVDRW / CD-RW)
    - graphics processor NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 512 MB GDDR3 memory
    - one FireWire 400 and one FireWire 800 port
    - three USB 2.0 ports
    - ExpressCard/34 slot
    - module-in AirPort Extreme wireless networking (802.11n)
    - Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR
    - In 10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet
    - built-in iSight
    - built-in stereo speakers
    - optical digital input / audio line input
    - optical digital output / output line out
    - a built-in microphone
    - 2.59 cm/39-dimensions, 2 cm / 6.5 cm Weight: 3.08 kg
    - Software: Mac OS X Leopard, iLife'08
  2. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

    Mar 2, 2009

    First off congrats. Also yes it does have a 19x12 res and i think its a nice computer. I wish i could afford any 17 inch......

    Also, where are you buying it from. If it is not from an apple authorized retailer be careful because the 8600s have had some issues
  3. macmania82 thread starter macrumors regular

    Apr 14, 2009
    hey thanks for comment! I cant stay in one place, so excited :D :D :D :D

    I'm going to buy it from an Apple Premium Reseller in Poland.

    hmm you say people has some problems with 8600s! Maybe better I research more about such problem for this card.

    ps I cross my finger for you, I hope you can have 17'' soon too :)

  4. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

    Mar 2, 2009
  5. Consultant macrumors G5


    Jun 27, 2007
    Not sure if you have been paying attention, but there is an event coming up within 2 weeks.

    You might also want to check out the buyer's guide.
  6. macmania82 thread starter macrumors regular

    Apr 14, 2009
    ooo thanks for the link! I will read all :confused:

    Hi Consultant, sorry for my silly comment but what do you mean exactly with "event"? should I wait for that? or .. ...

    ps, I', just checking Buyer's guide : ) thanks for advise
  7. NXTMIKE macrumors 6502

    Nov 11, 2008
    its WWDC (World Wide Developer Conference)

    Apple has been known to release new hardware and software during these dates. It's highly expected for Apple to preview Snow Leopard (next operating system), and maybe even release it, but probably not. (should be released by or before August). If they do release it soon you could work out a deal with the reseller you're buying it from. Since the graphics card has been known to be defective (accordingly from other members), you might be able to talk the reseller into providing a copy of Snow Leopard along with the MacBook Pro. Thats if you and the inventory could wait until its released.

    Oh, and what exactly would you be using the MacBook Pro for?

  8. macmania82 thread starter macrumors regular

    Apr 14, 2009

    Aha very good detail actually!! thanks for mentioning! (about WWDC)

    About graphic card issue, I'm just reading forums and blogs, it looks really problematic : ( I'm so disappointed! maybe I'm jsut too fraggle, but this is very important for me and dont want to have any trouble just after I pay such big money with my not so good financial situations. even if I ask to reseller about this graphc card issue, I dont think they would say bad about that. they need to sell it somehow!

    I'll use macbook pro for Web Development and Graphic Design (print)... So I actually a kind of forcing system...
  9. NXTMIKE macrumors 6502

    Nov 11, 2008
    im doing some research for you, and not all of the mbp 17inchers with the graphics card are defective, but nvidia even claimed that there's a "signficant amount".

    I wouldnt take the risk. :(
    and if you do id really recommend buying the extended apple care (3 years).

    is a 15 inch out of the option?
  10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Aug 13, 2006
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    Where in the world does this say ANYTHING about 1920x1200?
  11. macmania82 thread starter macrumors regular

    Apr 14, 2009

    If this graphic card will make problem and problem , and if it will make me to go apple for repair again and again. I dont want such machine of course. Probably I will be extremely angry if my laptop'd make up problems again and again :mad: :mad: :mad: a laptop which asks for 2600$ should not be so problematic!!!

    all my nice excited has been ruined now!! :( I was dreaming about it for loooong time.

    maybe better to think about new generation macbook pro 17''? actually I cant afford that now! need to save money for another months and months! :mad:

    15'' is not an option for me NXTMIKE :(
  12. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68030


    Sep 23, 2005

    Also, if I'm not wrong, Apple may service the computers with faulty graphics cards even when they're outside of their warranties. Can someone else verify this?
  13. appleguy123 macrumors 604


    Apr 1, 2009
    15 minutes in the future
    for an extra 200$ you can get a newer unibody machine w/o a defective grapics card. and i screen with 60% more pixels.
  14. Jigsawjammer macrumors regular

    Apr 29, 2009
    The 8600 has kept me from some really good 15" deals. It seems too risky because your only option in a failure is a pricey repair. It also seems people are selling them right after owning them for a year because they are just out of warranty if they didn't buy applecare.
    I would really consider a 15" unibody and get a decent external monitor when you need a large screen. I don't know how much you will be carrying it around but it makes a difference if you do carry it around a lot between a 17" and 15". 17" is real nice but 15" is pretty decent and current model.
  15. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

    Mar 2, 2009
    i read it on mactracker, a very useful application with info about every mac ever made, i highly recommend it
  16. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816


    Jun 23, 2008
    Agree, why risk a faulty graphic card for a few hundred bucks?
  17. JavierP macrumors regular

    Mar 17, 2008
    Don't buy it, even less if you don't deal with apple directly in your country. My MBP NVidia 8600 GT died and it took the Apple reseller in Argentina 1 month to do the repair.
  18. macmania82 thread starter macrumors regular

    Apr 14, 2009

    200$ difference? no way my friend, there is almost 800$ difference which is big money for me :(

    Here is the link for macs I can buy;

    I wanted to go for 3th one (with fu... graphic card) :(

    I feel so sorry for your mac my friend. I dont know what I would do if I were you. I'm extremely nervous person about such thing. especially for such a case that your dream laptop is broken, and making problem and problem.

    Ps, thanks for sharing your experience. how is it now? working well?

    what about the graphic card problem after mac repair that? do they replace that bad card with some other models which has no production fault?

    I read about this yesterday at a trustable blog. As I read, apple repair card problem in 2 years from MBP's production year.even if you dont have warranty. or if you already paid for such service, apple refund your money.

    But this previous generation MBPs will be out of 2 years by the end of this year... so it is nonsense :(
  19. macmania82 thread starter macrumors regular

    Apr 14, 2009
    is there any similar problem with Unibody Macbook Pro? like graphic card or somthing like that?
  20. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Aug 13, 2006
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    That's no evidence of anything.:confused: People said something. That isn't evidence.

    I have it, and would have used it, except he didn't put the model number up with the specs and seems to have both GPUs in his list of specs.
  21. JavierP macrumors regular

    Mar 17, 2008
    It's working fine now. One thing to note is that the MBP was out warranty and Apple fixed it for free. Computers having the 8600GT have, so far, a 2 years extended warranty (from the date of purchase)

    They replace the whole logic board. There's no way to know if the replacement board is not defective. The damn thing usually lasts 1.5 years before breaking. I would be happy if this thing lasts 2 more years (I bought the MBP on Nov-2007)
  22. macmania82 thread starter macrumors regular

    Apr 14, 2009
    2 days ago I was so excited about this weekend, I would go to buy my dream macbook pro 17'', but yesterday sb here warned me for graphic card. and I started researching about the problem. I found soooooo many unhappy, angry MBP user... and I found out soooooo many other MBP problems at video portal, forums, etc...

    Now I'm totally disappointed :( I kept money for this more than a year.

    Do you guys think if I exaggerate this disappointing? there are also many people who doesn't have problem, and easy use MBP years and years...

    if you compare problematic MBP with no-problematics at all, what would you say? Problematic MBP are really less when comparing good ones, or not?
  23. winninganthem macrumors 6502a


    Jun 10, 2008
    He also mentioned a "17 "Widescreen liquid crystal display LED-backlit Glossy".

    If I remember correctly, Penryn 17" MBPs with the LED display are automatically the high-res version with 19x12 and not 16x10 right?
  24. appleguy123 macrumors 604


    Apr 1, 2009
    15 minutes in the future
    Didn't you say that it was $2600 if we are talking U.S dollars you can get a new one for $2799 or a refurbished one for $2399. If you are not talking in U.S dollars sorry i didn't know that.
  25. JavierP macrumors regular

    Mar 17, 2008
    I would buy the lower end UMBP with 4GB of RAM, and upgrade the hard drive to a SSD in a couple of years (it's really easy to do so with the UMBP), if I were you.

Share This Page