Please help a newbie buy an iphone 5 from Craigslist

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by donkeycrushr, Sep 13, 2013.

1. donkeycrushr macrumors member

This is my first iphone Im buying from craigslist. What should I look/ inspect for when buying an iphone from Craigslist?

1. Make sure IMEI is clean.
    2. Inspect it visually to make sure its as described on ad.
    3. Does ATT check to make iphone works perfectly?
    4. Any suggestions?

I will be meeting someone at an ATT store tomorrow. Thank you for your suggestions.

2. KaijuRed macrumors regular

3. forcetactic macrumors 6502

Just fyi no matter what precautions you take, unless they have receipt that they purchased it full price unlocked, there will be a risk that they could report it stolen later and have your phone blacklisted

If you could take pics of their driver's license and also make a bill of sale, that might deter them from even attempting to report stolen

4. donkeycrushr thread starter macrumors member

Yea good point. Thanks.

5. 617aircav Suspended

Come on who is going to give a stranger a copy of their drivers license, that's nuts. If they agree to meet at an att store, most likely they are not planning anything sinister. Most CL deals are good if you do your due diligence. I bought close to 50 phones from cl in the last 6 months and only one involved a dishonest seller.

6. donkeycrushr thread starter macrumors member

I'm not sure how I would get for someone to give me a copy of their DL but I can certanttly write up a bill of sale. I am also going to ask if they have their original bill of sale. Thanks.

7. 617aircav Suspended

A bill of sale doesn't secure anything. Anyone can write one up.

8. Lamarak macrumors 6502

Before paying, have ATT check the phone. If buyer argues that, then walk out. ATT can tell you all that info. Its sad that few dshonest people make you have to double check everything, but its the world we live in.

Also make sure accessories are apple and not cheap knock offs. Might want to hear music or something that all functions of phone work .

9. donkeycrushr thread starter macrumors member

The person who's iphone 5 I am planning on buying has not updated there iOS it is shown as 6.1.2 is there any particular reason why someone would not update?

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Cause you can jb that version.
    To some that's a big plus.

11. MeUnix macrumors 6502

Just use your head. If something seems fishy, it probably is. I'd also get a bill of sale from the seller and ask to see the original receipt.

I've bought and sold many things on CL and every experience I've had has been a pleasant one. I know this isn't the case for everyone, but just be smart. That's the best advice I can give to you.

12. CEmajr macrumors 601

If they're willing to meet you at the carrier store then they are most likely not the type who are going to try to file insurance claim. You should be good.

13. forcetactic macrumors 6502

I'm just warning him of the absolute worst case scenario. Most likely nothing will happen but I don't want the OP to be surprised in case something turns up since ATT/T-mobile started blacklisting about a year ago

14. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

it is. that's why when i saw an iPhone 5 64GB running iOS 6.1.2 on eBay whose auction ended at ~ 2am on Thursday morning i set an alarm to wake up a few mins before the auction ended to put in a snipe bid in the middle of the night. i won and got it for $528 and it included 2 cases, 2 cables, and a charger

getting a used iPhone 5 w/ iOS 6.1.2 is very difficult these days

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

True that.
    I'd also pay more to be able to jb than to get stuck without all my cool hacks:)

16. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

most of the hacks i have on there i can live without, it's mainly the wifi tethering that i use the most, and the hack that forces all apps to use data even if they are restricted to only wifi (example - Photo Stream, downloading a podcast over 50MB, etc).

i needed to keep unlimited data with verizon so my only option was to buy a used iPhone, and since verizon has been intentionally crippling their 3G network that meant i needed to get an iPhone 5 to have LTE. i use 6-10GB per month on 3G so on LTE that will likely be at least 20GB. verizon can throw a fit all they want, but what they've done to their 3G network in at attempt to boot people off the unlimited data plans and onto a tiered LTE plan, is absolutely pathetic. i've never seen them pull this kind of **** before and i don't know why more people aren't up in arms about it. the VZW Community Forum on their site is lit up with fuming customers but they are silent in giving a response. i used to get 2.5Mbps down and 1.5Mbps up. now i am getting under 0.75Mbps down and about 0.25Mbps up. i have called up over and over again to see what is going on and they say they aren't throttling me.

i basically have had it, hence why i got the iPhone 5 with LTE. i got it recently b/c i needed 64GB and wanted to wait for the 5 prices on eBay to plummet which they did this week.

17. donkeycrushr thread starter macrumors member

How can I tell if i5 has been jailbroken or unlocked? Because the i5 i am looking to buy comes with applecare and I do not want to lose it due to it being jailbroken/ unlocked. Thanks.

18. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

No need to worry about losing warranty. If you ever need to bring it in for service, just restore to factory, and Apple won't check to see if it has ever been jailbroken. In fact, if the device is currently jailbroken, there are ways to see if it is jailbroken, but if it has been jailbroken previously but has been restored to stock, there is no way to find that out -- Apple might know a way, but we ordinary mortals don't.

19. 617aircav Suspended

Things to check
    WiFi is working
    GPS is working
    Speakers are working
    Headphone jack working
    Home button
    Make a call
    Phone charges
    Vibrate

Battery life is one thing you can't check for.

20. donkeycrushr thread starter macrumors member

Well purchasing of the i5 didnt go as expected we agreed on a price after inspecting the phone, at the last second he gets a phone call and tells me that he is just going to meet someone else who has agreed to give him more money.

21. 617aircav Suspended

Terrible move. That person may not show up, or may change his mind. I hope he gets fake money for wasting your time.

22. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

You could always schedule a genius bar appointment and have them run a diagnostic.

23. donkeycrushr thread starter macrumors member

I am wondering if I just should wait until after 20th when the i5s/ i5c are released to get a better deal.

----------

LoL

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Happens a lot on CL.
    People change their minds, they tell you to meet them somewhere at a certain time and they never show up and stop responding to you. Basically lots of wasted time.
    But sometimes you get some decent people that don't play games.
    Gotta be lucky I guess.

25. tharepairguy macrumors member

I would use a google voice number or a friends. Text him and offer more money, then waste his/her time.