Please Help! all of my bookmarks and my music and folders in itunes have been deleted

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Dark-knight, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Dark-knight macrumors newbie

im going to cry. T_T

i downloaded a virus scanner for mac and found 18 trojans. so i deleted them and now all of my bookmarks and all of my music and folders in itunes have been deleted. i need help fast! please!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Do you have MobileMe?

If you're on 10.5 or 10.6 you should be running time machine backups (not excuse not too) so that's probably your only recourse - restore from a backup.

3. Dark-knight thread starter macrumors newbie

don't rename the username folder

ok i found out what happened. it seems that not only did iTunes lose its info, but iPhoto, safari, firefox, and anything else like those apps did too. the funny thing is that all of the files where still on the computer but nothing could read them. (i found them using finder.) so i restarted the computer and when i logged back on... everything on my desktop was gone! so i freaked out, thinking i was going to have to get professional help. i made one last attempt to fix it, and i found that the computer had made a second folder of my username and put ALL of my files in there, so i moved it back. then i found the reason everything was moved. my username that had ALL of my documents in it was renamed and the computer could no-longer recognize it or read from it. so in the end it was a simple fix. all i had to do was name the username back it to original name then restart the computer again. now all of my bookmarks, music, photos, files, are back to normal. i hope this helps anybody that runs into this problem just as i did.

ps. im running tiger on the very first imac G5 that came out.

4. Sorkvild macrumors 6502

Wow... you should post the name of the "virus scanner" you used so people know.

Theres no need for AV stuff at all and when you do look what happens!

5. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Agreed. Get rid of that "Virus Scanner."

Heck if it were me I'd be doing a clean install just to be safe.

6. Dark-knight thread starter macrumors newbie

no hold on now. its not the virus scanner that messed up. the virus scanner works just fine, that problem was human error. i renamed the username folder (the one with the pic of a little house) and everything went crazy.

look at my other post.

the name of the virus scanner was ClamXav. it works great you guys should try it. scan your whole computer and leave it running over night.